Battle Report: DA Vs Orks W/Pics!

[TA]Typher

Hi guys,

I'm back with another Battle report, this time I fought the vile Green Menace, Orks. I also had a battle vs the Tau, but it was a bad loss and I really don't think it would even be worth the time to write it up. All I can say is IMO the Deathwing only deepstriking 50% of their units really makes the army a whole lot harder to play. I really hope they follow suit with some of the recent tourneys and clarify the ruling to let them.

Anyway.. let me get off this soapbox and get back on point. Orks. We met up and decided on a 1750 battle. I originally wanted to play my Deathwing, but after the thrashing I had received the previous day I was a little gun-shy.

My List -Speartip Claymore-

Supreme Master Azrael

Librarian -Brother Librarian Echiel

Force Axe, Conversion Field

Command Squad -Hael's Charge-

4 Marines with Bolters, 1 Marine bolter and the Banner of Devistation

Veteran unit (6 Marines) -Azrael's Guard-

Sgt Krytas Power Sword+Bolt Pistol, Combi-Flamer, CCW/Storm Shield, CCW/Storm Shield, Bolt Pistol/Power Fist, Flamer

Tac Squad -Alial-

Sgt with Bolter, 8x Bolters, Heavy Bolter

Tac Squad -Bael-

Tac Squad -Caermel-

Dev Squad -Delpha-

Sgt with Bolter, 5x Bolters, 4x Missile Launchers with Flakk

Landraider Crusader

Multi-Melta

Vindicator

Ork List -Wazgul's Marauders.

Warboss -Wazgul

Mega Armor(power Claw), Cybork Body

10x Ork Boys (Attached to Wazgul)

-Slugas and Choppa + Nob

Battle Wagon (Wazgul and his unit inside)

Kannon + Deff Rolla +Red Paint

Warboss -Zagga

Warbike, Cybork Body, Power Klaw, Some kinda gun

7 Nob Bikers (Attatched to Zagga)

Painboy, Cybork bodies, 2ish power klaws, 2ish big choppas

20x Ork Boys

Shootas

9x Lootas

Burna-Bomba

Supashoota, Burna Bombs, skorcha missiles

Dakka Jet

Supa Shootas

2x Deff Koptas

Deff Dread

2x Skorchas

3x Killa Kans

Rokkets

There where probably some odd bits here and there, but I don't remember and it didn't matter.

The Scouring of Red Pharra IV

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/orksDeploy_zpsaab3dab0.jpg

Delpoyment. We rolled Vanguard Deployment and the scouring mission.

I got lucky and ended up with the higher collection of markers. I've labeled the what the objective markers were to help.

He rolled first turn and I failed to seize the initiative. For Warlord Traits he rolls the one which gives Feel no pain withint 3 inches of an objective and I picked the same.

He kept his Deff Koptas in reserve and placed his Warlord and his unit of boys in the Battle Wagon. I placed my command Squad with the SoD in the Landraider.

Librarian Echiel rolled Priscience and another Divination power that really didn't do anything useful, I forget it's name. He then joined the Tactical Marine unit in front of the Landraider.

Hopefully you can see Azrael in the unit of Veterans.

We rolled for night fighting the first round and I cursed my luck.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/orks1_zps01d22ec2.jpg

Ork Turn 1

The Nob Bikers Ran flat out to the East taking partial cover behind a hill.

The Battle Wagon moved up and fired it's Kannon killing several Marines from the Echiel's unt. I lost all 4 of the marines under the template. I gritted my teeth and blamed my evil dice.

The rest of the Ork Army marched forward.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/orks2_zps4a3ace3b.jpg

Dark Angel's turn 2

With Night-fighting in play my options were limited.

I moved the Tac squad tot he north back abit and my Azrael and my Vet Squad created a screen to protect them. (They where within 3 inches of the objected that halfed enemies charge distance. I hoped that it would be enough)

A few of my marines could see the Nob bikers and with the Standard of Devastation in there minds the few marines that could shoot managed to inflict one wound on the dirty xenos.

The Vindicator shot at the battle wagon but I rolled double sixes and it scattered into the darkness.

The Devistator Squad shot at the battle wagon, but couldn't pen it.

ugh.. this wasn't going well so far.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/orks3_zps30efa86a.jpg

Orks Turn 2

With WAAAAAAGHHHH! on their evil lips they came!

He rolled and got all his reserves in this round. Drat!

His ork boy unit moved up and took the objective in the old Eldar ruins. His Killa Kans rolled very low and only slowly moved forward.

His Barrge Wagon shot, but missed.

The Dakka Jet zoomed in and unleashed a massive Waaagh barrage at the Dev Squad. I thought they would surely die, but somehow... I rolled the 13 armor saves and the 2 invuln saves I needed and not a single wound was taken! Thankfully I was within the 3 inches of the objective!

The Burna-Bomber lazily decended from the coulds, dropping a bomb right on the Librarian's Tac squad killing 2. IT also fired a few missiles but they scattered harmlessly away.

The two outflanking Deff Koppas buzzed in and shot at the rear of the vindicator causing 2 hull points and shaking the crew.

The Nob Bikers rocketed forward and made the charge on the Vet Squad! Nooooooooo! His Warboss Zagga challenged and my brave Sergeant stepped forward with his blazing power-sword held high. In combat The vets wounded several times but luck was on the Nobs side and he made 4 FNP rolls in a row. The Nobs fury was intense and they killed several of the brave veterans in return. In the Challenge Sgt Krytas managed to inflict a wound on Warboss Zagga, but was killed by the blighted Xeno's huge pistoned claw. Azrael's skill was unmatched by the Green tide, but the multitude of ones I rolled to wound was painful. The wound he got through was negated by FNP again! Despite the lost combat the Chapter Master's resolve held the Angels firmly in place.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/orks4_zps2dab4f9f.jpg

Dark Angels Turn 2

Not an Angel moved. Stoic and proud they set their feet firmly in Pharra's Ruddy Sand. there would be no retreat.

The Vindicator reversed to protect it's rear armor but couldn't shoot due to being shaken.

The Devastator Squad unleashed a volley of fire in to the Dakka Jet, causing the ramshackle vehicle explode in a intense ball of fire and light. Bringing me sorely needed revenge and FIRSTBLOOD! ( I actually got another point for killing a fast attack!)

The southern most Tac squad fired a salvo of bolt-rounds killing one of the Deff Koptas. they rolled but passed their morale roll.

The last two tac squads shot at and managed to kill the Burna-Bomba!

The Ancient Landraider fired but again failed to damage the battle wagon! I dreaded the charge that was coming!

In close combat Zagga challenged and Azrael accepted. The remaining Marines failed to wound. I cursed the FNP roll that he made! In return the Nobs slayed the last Veteran. Azrael hit several times but the Painboy must have brought barrels of whatever goo he was pumping into the nobs, because FNP saved another wound. The Warboss's Power Klaw got 1 wound through and took Azrael out of the game. Slay the Warlord went t he Orks. Gaaaah!!!

The Nobs consolidated toward the northern tac Squad.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/orks5_zps67086ff8.jpg

Orks Turn 3

The gibbering hordes came on, howling and swinging weapons.

The Deff Dread and Killa Kans moved forward, hampered by difficult ground.

The Battle Wagon rushed forward and disgorged the Ork Warlord and his unit of boys only a few inches away from the Librarian's Tac Squad. This wasn't looking good. This game was clearly a going to be a loss, but I kept on my game face, determined to give my opponent a fun game despite the fact.

The Battle Wagon shot at the south Tac Squad and I failed 4 armor saved and the poor Battle-Brothers died where they stood.

The Deff Dread and Killa Kans shot at the Vindicator but failed to damage the vehicle.

Wazgul and his boys shot and managed to kill a marine.

The Nob Bikers charged the north Tac squad contesting the objective. Sgt Bael challenged and the unit's painboy stepped forward, gleefully happy to fight the humorless marine. In combat the marines managed to inflict 1 wound, but took several in return. Thankfully they where withing 3 inches of the objected and managed a few FNP rolls. The fight between the painboy boy and Sgt Bael ended in a draw, with neither side inflicting a wound. Surprised after the number of rolls the brave Sergeant survived I mentally praised the taciturn marine. Bael's squad held.

The Deff Kopta charged the vindicator but failed to damage it.

Wazgul's unit charged, froth flying from their open maws. Echiel and his Tac squad held steadfast inflicting 1 wound on the orks with overwatch fire. I cringed as he rolled his charge dice.

Double 1's ...... Failed charge!

The Emperor was with us!

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/orks6_zpsa135de8a.jpg

Dark Angels Turn 3

Now was the time for revenge. With both Azrael's and the Lion's name on his lips Echiel ordered both tac squads not in close combat to fire at the Ork Warlord. The Vindicator, which was no longer shaken added to the firestorm. Monsterous thunder errupted. When the firing stopped, nothing of the Warboss or his unit remained. Not even bloody pulps of meat could be seen. I took another point for Slaying the Warlord

The Landraider shot at the Battlewagon again, but failed to do anything useful.

The Devastators shot at the Deff Dread and scored 2 pens, blowing off a CCW and stunning the Xeno walker! It's slow lumber came to a halt while it recalibrated itself.

In close combat the marines all died to the man to the dreaded Nob Bikers. Fortunately Sgt Bael held in there for another round and continued to tie up the orks. I watched as the grim Sgt set his jaw and refused to withdraw.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/orks7_zps05ff10d3.jpg

Ork Turn 4

The Battle Wagon primed it's oddly working engines and charged forward. It ranover two marines from the southern tac unit causing them to fall back. It continued and struck the Landraider causing 1 glance.

The Kill Kans moved forward, but slow progress still hampered them. They fired and managed to inflict the killing blow on the Vindicator.

In close combat the nob painboy couldn't take Bael down. They fought on.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/orks8_zpsdc2b554c.jpg

Dark angels Turn 4

The southern Tac squad shot at but failed to kill any of the Nobs. I was starting to dread the Orks FNP rolls.

My Dev Squad and Landraider shot at, but failed to hurt the Battle Wagon. Glad I paid for the Multi-Melta.... ugh.

Brother-Librarian Echiel's mind was drawn to the plight of Sgt Bael. Leading his Tac unit, he charged the Nobs.

In close combat Sgt Bael finally fell. I made a note to add his name into the Halls of Honor on the Rock. I managed to take a nob down, but lost a couple of marines in exchange. Under Echiel's leadership the Angels didn't budge.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/orks9_zpsfc4f086b.jpg

Ork Turn 5

With the Deff Dread and Killa Kans moving forward the Orks started Turn 5.

The Deff Kopta shot at the Dev squad but failed to kill anyone.

The Battle Wagon shot at and killed 4 marines from the Dev squad, including two missile launchers. Ugh!

In close combat my Librarian Issued a challenge, which the Warboss Zagga accepted. The marines failed to inflict any damage on the nobs and they all died in return. Librarian Echiel's force Axe swung at the same time as the Warboss's power Klaw. he managed 1 wound, which after passing his psyker test outright slayed the Massive Xeno! Unfortunately the weapon didn't kill faster and Zagga's last action in this world was to crush the Psyker in his giant Klaw. The Nobs took the objective.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z389/typher/BatRep/orks10_zpscf2c0a0b.jpg

Dark Angel's Turn 5

With the Game so close in the balance my Landraider turned to face the Nobs and the command squad exited. With massed fire from the Command Squad, souther Tac Squad and the Landraider I managed to kill 2 Nob Bikers, leaving 3. They rolled there morale test and... FAILED! They turned and with tires squealing and smoke rising they fled, abandoning the objective!

Unsure if there would be another turn my Dev squad's two remaining missile launchers fired at the Deff Dread, but failed to hurt it. Next round he would surely charge the tact Squad that held the objective.

He rolled to see if the game continued..... and it didn't!

After counting up the points the Lion's Angels won the day!

Dark Angels got First Blood (1), Slay the Warlord (1), Killing a Fast Attack (1), Objective (4)

Orks Got Slay the Warlord (1), Objective (3) I don't remember if he got line breaker.

Overall it was a close game, and for most of it I was sure I was getting stomped. I'd have to say that as much as I love Azrael I really wish he had Eternal warrior. He didn't do very well this battle, but I did roll pretty badly for him. The amount of feel no pain rolls the orks made was amazing. I counted at least 8 and in one case he made 4 of 4! His percentage of successful FNP rolls was higher than my armor saves. My Landraider didn't do much, but was instrumental in protecting the SoD. The AV 14 of the battle wagon stood up to it well. Overall it was anyones game I think and this was one of the best games I've had.

I would like to add some storyline fluff like I've done in the past, but it's late and I don't think i can right now.

anyway guys I hope you enjoyed this Batrep. If you like it let me know and I'll keep doing them.

Very nice, and I would like to add to Luci's call for more reports - very clearly explained and the pictures really helped us understand what was going on.

Would you change your list at all or are you broadly happy with it?

Nice batrep bro ive got to hand it to you mastering vassal is no easy feat as im learning right now, and your report looks great. You never really mention his lootas were they out of range the whole game... Ah night fight, got it. still it only lasts for turn one, they should have been doing more damage to you. I think your defensive posture was a good one considering the board lay out. Though you benefitted from a lot of luck, and random charge lengths. I would suggest looking at some bikes or a rhino to give you a bit more mobility and help with when you need to go get objectives.

Very nice, and I would like to add to Luci's call for more reports - very clearly explained and the pictures really helped us understand what was going on.

Would you change your list at all or are you broadly happy with it?

I make a lot of armies and don't really stick to just one. I guess I haven't found that sweet spot yet. I'm still getting back into the game and 6th Ed.

Nice batrep bro ive got to hand it to you mastering vassal is no easy feat as im learning right now, and your report looks great. You never really mention his lootas were they out of range the whole game... Ah night fight, got it. still it only lasts for turn one, they should have been doing more damage to you. I think your defensive posture was a good one considering the board lay out. Though you benefitted from a lot of luck, and random charge lengths. I would suggest looking at some bikes or a rhino to give you a bit more mobility and help with when you need to go get objectives.

He placed his Lootas on the third floor of a ruined building. We talked about it after the game and he said that he originally left them there to keep me pinned, but basically made the mistake of not moving them.

I should have cornered myself even more in the bottom corner. Using the Landraider as the center of my forces I had to keep the marines close to benefit from the Salvo rule. I got lucky with a select few armor saves and his Warlord's charge, but the nobs only devastated my northern flank because he made so many valuable FNP saves, so it balanced out.

Archived