IA: Avenging Angels / Avenging Host

Ordo Machinum

It's that time of year again. The time when complacency and procrastination slacken their grip on my old bones. My mind starts to ponder and make itself giddy with thoughts of creating a new DA successor.

I can't decide upon a colour scheme. I need to flip a coin or get some collective input. I may do a straightforward 40k Dark Angel successor after being inspired by all of the great stuff painted during the Path to Retribution campaign that has ended in the DA forums. Otherwise, as a new Iron Man film is coming out in a few months, my schizoid dream of doing a comic book themed army may finally arise.

Either way, the army is going to be a DA successor. Rather than doing a "created to Hunt the Fallen" one, I was thinking this chapter may have been created by the High Lords as a means to try and observe the DA and its interaction with its successors more closely. I.E., the army is used in conjunction with human allies more frequently. The Dark Angels have consented as a "diversionary" tactic to keep the High Lords from seeing what really goes on between the DA and its successors and feed them whatever false info they wanted. Sort of like DA public relations. "See, we're as loyal and helpful as any other chapter, even more so! What rumours and secretive ways are you referring to?"

Maybe when the Grand Master DA Anaziel actually petitioned the Lords of Terra for the Disciples of Caliban to be created, he used the Lord of Terra's creation of THIS chapter as leverage. "We assisted you without question, now we need..." And so on.

What do you think?

Here are the colour schemes I'm debating on:

gallery_8429_8392_47172.jpg

gallery_8429_8392_11982.jpg

gallery_8429_8392_38207.jpg

gallery_8429_8392_50014.jpg

Thanks, soddinnutter.

I figured the DA would like the whole circles-within-circles thing of we know they (High Lords of Terra) are watching, they know we know they are, we know they know we know etc...  

It may limit my chapter to ONLY 100 suites of TDA for its 1st Company, oh well.

The army can be used both ways, watching the High Lord's political activities in relation to their focus on the DA. And other chapters, of course! It keeps prying eyes a few more steps away from the Lion's 1st Legion!

Somebody's got to do it.

I think Cold War shenanigans between the High Lords and the Dark Angels is a great idea.  I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the color schemes, though.  They both remind me too much of the Blood Angels (and at first I was confused because I assumed this was a Blood Angels successor, based on the colors).  If I had to pick one, the first is definitely more interesting, but it also reminds me quite a lot of this guy:

http://lounge.moviecodec.com/images/polloption/iron-man-15629.jpg

Agitated Owl, on 17 Apr 2013 - 15:29, said:

I think Cold War shenanigans between the High Lords and the Dark Angels is a great idea. I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of the color schemes, though. They both remind me too much of the Blood Angels (and at first I was confused because I assumed this was a Blood Angels successor, based on the colors). If I had to pick one, the first is definitely more interesting, but it also reminds me quite a lot of this guy:

Blood Angels, eh? I just wanted to break away from the Caliban Green, Bone White, and Black of the 1st Legion.

Blue would just tempt me too much to do Crimson Fists.

Unless I did this...

spacemarine.jpg

...but I won't. (maybe).

With the Avenging Host, I thought all gold armour and white robes would be uber-angellic. Avenging Angels needed a bit of blood red in there for some messy avengingness.

As for your pic, I did mention a certain film coming out soon in my first post along with my crazy Marvelhammer theme idea. Although the Avengering Angel scheme seems to be 2-0 so far.

Thanks for the comments!

I definitely understand trying to break away from the traditional Dark Angels colors, and the gold and red does evoke an avenging angel.  I especially like the idea of painting their arms or hands red, as though dipped in blood.  Here's an idea, what if you used the second (gold) color scheme, but used green for the shoulder insets and painted the kneepads in company markings, like the Dark Angels?  And you could add some red for style, as desired (such as on the hands).  Green and gold is a color combination that I don't see very often, so I think that would differentiate you from the rest of the Dark Angels successors.

And sorry, I must have missed the Iron Man reference in your initial post.  Ultimately it's your army - do whatever makes you happy!

I really like both, and the only reason I, personally, am less inclined towards the white and blue scheme is because it very reminiscent of War Angel's Eagles Eternal. Otherwise I'd pick that one just because I like blue better than red.

I definitely understand trying to break away from the traditional Dark Angels colors, and the gold and red does evoke an avenging angel. I especially like the idea of painting their arms or hands red, as though dipped in blood. Here's an idea, what if you used the second (gold) color scheme, but used green for the shoulder insets and painted the kneepads in company markings, like the Dark Angels? And you could add some red for style, as desired (such as on the hands). Green and gold is a color combination that I don't see very often, so I think that would differentiate you from the rest of the Dark Angels successors.

And sorry, I must have missed the Iron Man reference in your initial post. Ultimately it's your army - do whatever makes you happy!

Hmm, green and gold, eh? Gold armour, green aquila and robes, and maybe red for the shoulder insignia and bolter (very DA). Enough green without being too DA, and not too much red to look like a Christmas tree. teehee.gif I may have to paint one too see it better.

What color blue is that? I kinda like that color scheme.....

I used the hex code for Oxford Blue: #002147.

My vote goes for the Blue/White scheme ... very nice.

Yeah, it is. Great, now I have THREE choices! wallbash.gif

I really like both, and the only reason I, personally, am less inclined towards the white and blue scheme is because it very reminiscent of War Angel's Eagles Eternal. Otherwise I'd pick that one just because I like blue better than red.

The blue was just a quick throw together scheme off the top of my head. It's based loosely on Oxford University's Rugby Football Team.

Archived