++ From the Abyss - A Word Bearers Log ++

“I will die this day…”

Some stirred from the darkness, that thick rancid miasma of black smog that billowed from the rent earth, rising to the sky above the battlefield where they poisoned the tortured clouds, twisted and morphing them into some obscene roiling blanket of night, blotting out the twin Suns overhead until all was cast in shadow. He had seen it all, ritual sacrifice in the din of battle with hundreds of screaming, chanting mortals clawing at their own flesh and eyes while their Apostate buried the crooked dagger into his heart. The eruption had blinded him for a time, like some volcanic nova of light encompassing all things before quickly being snuffed out by that darkness, that black endless darkness.

It awoke from its slumber with a bellowing growl, eyes like heated furnaces piercing through the smog as great wings of smoke and ethereal flesh unfurled as one. It was not like anything he had seen before, a great beast formed of ash and fire like clay sealed together only hatred that burned and consumed out all other light. Its titanic ashen form rose from the depths of the smog, clad in ancient armour of crimson and bronze, bearing trophies of champions and great beasts alike upon its primal form as some token of its conquest over the material realm. In one hand it bore a monolith of its patron’s identity, an axe of corroded iron and tarnished brass basted in hardened cakes of dried blood. In the other it held the light of a dying star, fastened and bound with the emptiness of a black hold to forge a sickening blade that seemed to cave in on itself as licks danced along the writhing blade.

It was an avatar of hatred, unrestrained rage that fed on the fear, the ignorance, and the bigotry of man. Where hope was dashed out by the fallacies of man’s fear of the unknown, where the light of the future was snuffed out by mistrust for their fellow man and all those who may seem different, this was that hatred molded into a being of incorporeal arrogance. The Bane of Light. Rising to its full height over the battlefield, the titan let its arms outstretch and wings expand to their full frightening length. Its head threw back to the toxic sky above and from its molten maw it issued out its joyous howl in a bellowing roar that shook the very earth. Once more it stood upon the earth in defiance of all logic and reason, the stuff of nightmares and legends made reality. And with this life it would exact its toll upon mortality and reap the lives of men and women as his harvest.

A long breath exuded from beneath the knight’s lips, calming his nerves as his eyes slid shut. For a moment he seemed to open them, only for the battlefield to become a palace of gold where ancient brothers had once done battle so long ago on a distant planet he had never set foot on. He looked through the eyes of another, and for a moment, it all seemed so real and so strangely familiar… But his eyes truly came wide once more with the crash of sound and movement that followed in the wake of each step the beast made, carving a blood bath in its wake as it marched towards him. “This has all happened before…” He muttered to himself, blood-slick blade drawn upwards and placed gingerly to his forehead in a moment of silent repose. “I will die this day… But not to you…”

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140531_001937_zps9474e0ed.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140531_002122_zps4c20e043.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140531_002020_zpsab52a888.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140531_002048_zpscd5cd262.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140531_002032_zps7687c678.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140531_002110_zpsb7b20f57.jpg

BARA-HYSH   -  The Bane of Light

The Daemon known by Inquisitorial records as Bara-Hysh is a Greater Daemon of Khorne. Although similar in composition to many a Warlords of the Blood God, the Bane of Light is one that seems to have a very fundamental difference. Unlike many who fuel themselves by war and bloodshed, Bara-Hysh is a creature that instead leeches upon what can only be called the ignorance of man, hatred and fear fueled by the unknown, racism, antisemitism, specism, and all manner of fearful hatreds that have been birthed by the willful ignorance of man. But from such ideals is always born the fruit of bloodshed and in this the Great Daemon finds his power. Though ancient and powerful, the Greater Daemon is no Warlord. With each bellowing roar magma and ash exude from his maw, words malformed by the furnace of his hatred and all reason turned into a gibbering, gnawing snarl. Ignorance bears no reasoning and this has taken an ill-effect on the warp creature that has become its parasite. What's more is the daemon seems to bear a particular hatred for the Sun, believed to be some sort of physical representation for the creature's hatred for progress and harmony or perhaps it simply draws power from the Darkness itself. The last known siting of the Greater Daemon was at the battle of the Memoriam Gate in M40 where it was banished into the warp by an unrecorded Shield Captain of the Brothers of the Red, successor chapter to the Blood Angels, where the Chapter met its eventual extinction at that battle but allowed Imperial forces to drive back the Crusade of Fire and Ash.

Edited by noctus cornix

@Jaspcat Would that work though, given that the eyes are sort of supposed to be a molten yellow and orange?

@Lord Marshal Any particular sort of details you think? Like extra highlighting or something else?

Either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or you painted a demonic face on the backside of his groin armor...

Awesome job, dude. I particularly like the bloody hooves and charcoal skin. There's not many daemon players out there that can deliver the same level of background and modeling as you do. :tu:

@Jaspcat Would that work though, given that the eyes are sort of supposed to be a molten yellow and orange?

@Lord Marshal Any particular sort of details you think? Like extra highlighting or something else?

highlighting

Either my eyes are playing tricks on me, or you painted a demonic face on the backside of his groin armor...

Awesome job, dude. I particularly like the bloody hooves and charcoal skin. There's not many daemon players out there that can deliver the same level of background and modeling as you do. :thumbsup:

bahahahahahaha

The dead guardsman is a nice touch indeed! Could his eyes have a little more highlight potentially? Or are they quite small in his head?

Sadly the eyes themselves are actually quite small. :(

Hmmm what about a molten iris with a violet pupil :tongue.:

As much as I appreciate the idea, I'll have to pass. I'd prefer to keep with the volcanic feel for them.

Awesome job, dude. I particularly like the bloody hooves and charcoal skin. There's not many daemon players out there that can deliver the same level of background and modeling as you do. :thumbsup:

Yes... completely intentional... >_>

Truly terrifying!

The best kind of praise! :thumbsup:

highlighting

Roger.

Yes... completely intentional... >_>

Didn't mean it as ridicule. That's a cool detail, one that took me several minutes to spot. More, please. :)

An unintentional demonic face dried on your model. You sir truly are blessed by the gods.

The models great btw, and the fluff is fantastic.

This made my day. :)

Keep your eyes peeled, gents. I have an update I'll be posting tonight, but it won't be on here. ;)

Love, love, love the fluff!

Hate, hate, hate the Bloodthirster sculpt though! You have painted it well however sir - especially the black wings, they suitably look leathery, how did you paint them? I would maybe add another brighter highlight to its eyes followed by a glaze of orange to bland it in, should give the appearance of glowing a lot more. Got to Irisless though.

I am looking forward to this next update, give us a clue as to where? :biggrin.:

Love, love, love the fluff!

Hate, hate, hate the Bloodthirster sculpt though! You have painted it well however sir - especially the black wings, they suitably look leathery, how did you paint them? I would maybe add another brighter highlight to its eyes followed by a glaze of orange to bland it in, should give the appearance of glowing a lot more. Got to Irisless though.

I am looking forward to this next update, give us a clue as to where? :biggrin.:

I know how you feel man. The Bloodthirster sclupt, as nice as it was back in the day, shows its age now and makes for an incredibly boring and somewhat doofy looking model. I really do wish GW had the guts to redo Character models. A lot of them really need it.

Appreciate the advice on how to make my model look better, mate. That just might help a bit, so I'll give it a try when I have the chance. Thanks :)

On the sculpts, I would just use the balrog model (I have actually). It is GW product and on the base used for current MCs so... (Nvm that Bloodthirsters were totally based off the Balrog in the first place.) Very well painted though noctus.

• 1 month later...

"I envy you, Mortal.. For I will never see the smile of children again.."

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140727_045010_zps01910943.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140727_044945_zps8b61fe47.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140727_045033_zps4a94d8db.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140727_045044_zps658072ec.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140727_045056_zpseba4e998.jpg

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac352/Noctus-Cornix/20140727_045022_zps20201c3c.jpg

Hol'Staligrath, the Sand Weaver

In ancient text across many species and civilizations there have been tales of the 'Sand Weaver'. Though his name varies in each and every language, the tale most often remains the same. The Weaver is a being that protects the children from the darkness, fending off nightmares and ghouls from the little ones as they slumber, a mere dash of his dust and their sleep would be filled with wonderful dreams. Hol'Staligrath was that Sand Weaver. In a time long ago, he was among the most venerated of Great Unclean Ones, powerful and lord of his own personal host. However where Nurgle is most often seen as the mere God of death and decay, it is also true that he is of life and joy. Despite his most horrid appearance, is pallid flesh, his bloated and pouring intestines, Hol'Staligrath was a lover of children, benevolent across all species. Where the whispers of other daemons and warp creatures would claw at the child's mind, the Sand Weaver's followers would stand sentinel, waging war against their own kind for the sake of little ones though for many of the Neverborn, mortals were see as nothing more than prey. For a time, Hol'Staligrath's mission rang true, a monster that fed up the nightmares of children so that only blessed dreams would come. He would take their nightmares into his own form, a horrid and corrupted beast but it mattered not to him.. However with the ever rising population of those within the mortal realm and the creation of space travel, war became rife and species battled one another as well as themselves. Nightmares were aplenty, but when a child has been scarred by war, their minds broken beyond mending, there is nothing the Great Lord could do to bring them joy. With his only source of power taken, the Great Unclean One weakened with time, leaving him vulnerable to those that would happily taken revenge on the one that had denied them their prey. The Great Unclean One was felled by La Vessharath, the Death of Innocence. The twisted Slaanesh host slaughtered Hol'Staligrath's troupe, defiled his stronghold and left the once great lord in ruin. Broken, mutilated and blind, The Sand Weaver was left to fade back into the energies of the warp with little energies to regenerate to his former glory. But, in a final act of desperation, the once great lord gave himself to the Daemon Artisans deep within the warp and became the twisted arachnid Plague Hulk he is. Now the blinded monstrosity marches with the Nurgle Warband known as the Cleaved and other hosts of Chaos, offering his destructive power and services on the mere condition that the children be spared... lest he turn up his own allies to protect the little ones he loved so dearly.

That Plague Hulk is both disgusting and extremely well done Noctis.  It's good to see you posting new work again.  I love opening the forum and reading your well written fluff and admiring your creepy thoughts given miniature form.  I'm sending you a pm so that we can catch up.