Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

500 POINT BLOOD ANGELS STARTER LIST

Blood Angels Army Lists Tactics

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

IMMORTALIS

IMMORTALIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

Hi guys, i'm just wondering if you could give me any tips on my blood angels list for a slow grow game on Wednesday, it will be my first ever game of 40k or tabletop game in general so i'd like any tactic/ tweaks advice if you'd be so kind, i'm also new to the forum so go easy on me. :)

My local game store rules are basically 500 points, 1HQ 2 Troops and so far my list is as follows

HQ

1 Reclusiarch with Jump pack, bolt pistol and power maul

Troops

3 assault marines with Jump packs, bolt pistols and chainswords

1 assault marine with jump pack and melta

1 sergeant with jump pack bolt pistol and chainsword + melta bombs

Troops

7 assault marines with Jump packs, bolt pistols and chainswords 

1 assault marine with jump pack and melta

1 assault marine with jump pack and flamer

1 sergeant with jump pack, powerfist and bolt pistol

This brings me up to 500 points exactly, hoping I can go 5 points over though so I can give both sergeants melta bombs.

I welcome any tips/ suggestions, I did toy with using a librarian however I only have the model of Lemartes painted up for HQ and the librarian is still in the post -.-

Also got another 11 assault marines to paint because everybody knows painted models are more likely to make their armour saves!

Deadpool1713

Deadpool1713

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

This actually looks pretty solid smile.png if you want melta bombs for both of your sergeants, just drop the flamer from that one squad. That hurts your flexibility a bit, but that's your call. If you keep this list the same, I'd have the Reclusiarch in the 10 man squad with the PF, melta, and melta bombs. Lastly, if you take a Librarian with a jump pack instead, give him divination and whatever other power you happen to get when you roll. Then he does the same thing as your Reclusiarch, just with a slightly different stat line... Anyways, the Librarian with a JP is 125 as opposed to 155 for a Reclusiarch with a JP. That leaves you 30 points for your melta bombs, fancy new toys for your assault squad/sergeants, or even terminator armor for the Librarian. Without another weapon on the TDA you could have melta bombs for both sergeants, or to round out the 30 extra points just give him a storm bolter. This is what I would do to tweak it a bit. Change the Reclusiarch to a librarian in TDA with no extra weapons and put him in the squad with the melta, melta bombs, and PF. Lastly, since you have 5 extra points, the sergeant for the 5 man squad can have his melta bombs smile.png That's all I can think of for now for the list, but your HQ is a bit cheaper, he can do the job of a Reclusiarch and some other random power (that table is pretty good to roll on anyways), he is harder to kill with 2+/5++, AND he can instakill with his force weapon which also isn't as slow in close combat as the power maul and it has the concussive special rule (I don't remember what the maul has though as far as special rules). 

Have you heard the news that you're DEAD?!

flesh_tearers_banner.jpgdeathwatch_banner.pngdeath_company_banner.jpg

IMMORTALIS

IMMORTALIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

Ilike your suggestions, although  I think the flamer is a must as I have very little in the way of anti-horde weaponry, I like your idea about terminator armour but I don't think terminator armour has much use in this list, I hope it gets here by tomorrow so I can use it wednesday!

Deadpool1713

Deadpool1713

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Ilike your suggestions, although  I think the flamer is a must as I have very little in the way of anti-horde weaponry, I like your idea about terminator armour but I don't think terminator armour has much use in this list, I hope it gets here by tomorrow so I can use it wednesday!

Well cool, I'm glad I could help! laugh.png Like I said, you will still have 25 points left over (if you give the other sergeant melta bombs) so you can give your other sergeant a power fist, or add more flamers/meltas in your squads, or anything else that you see fit! In the end it is your call. Anyways, I hope you get your librarian tomorrow and good luck on wednesday! Let me know how it goes! If you ever need any advice on anything else, just ask! (even though I'm not the best person to go to for help when it comes to this stuff yucky.gif )

Brother Maikel

Brother Maikel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 268 posts

I think a Librarian would definitely do more for this list than a Reclusiarch.

Depending on the model you've got, how confident you are with conversions, and how flexible your opponent/store rules are about proxying, I'd run the Libby with a Jump pack and Force Axe (rather than the Force Staff that most of the "official" models get).

I'd also drop the Power Fist from the Assault Sergeant if you can.  Since you're only facing HQ's and troops its unlikely that you'll run up against anything that needs the strength bonus to wound and can't be handled by meltabombs.  Plus, with a power fist there's a good chance your sarge will be challenged in combat and killed before he can strike.  I'd suggest swapping it for power swords on both sergeants.

As for Flamer vs Melta, 2x Melta 1x Flamer is a good setup.  I'd swap the squads around though... putting two meltas in one squad allows you to direct your anti-tank and anti-horde firepower appropriately, instead of leaving you stuck firing a meltagun at a Tyranid Termagaunt squad instead of the Tervigon (monstrous creature).

If you can get the Libby, here's the list I'd suggest

Libby, JP + Force Axe.  Take Rulebook powers, specifically roll twice on Divination.  For this list, you probably want Misfortune, Forewarning or maybe Precognition.  If you don't roll one of those for your first roll, take Prescience, the primaris power.  Otherwise, take Prescience for your second roll.  It's really good.

Assault Squad (10), 2x Meltagun, (Sgt) Power Sword, (Sgt) Melta Bombs

Assault Squad (5), Flamer, (Sgt) Power Sword, (Sgt) Melta Bombs

That leaves you 10 points, which can be used to give the Flamer Assault Sergeant a Hand Flamer (even S3 Templates can cause a lot of wounds, especially on Xenos/Guard), upgrade a Melta Bomb to an Infernus pistol or Plasma pistol on one of the sergeants, swap a power sword for a power fist if you really want to, or drop both Meltabombs and add another Assault Marine to the second squad.  I'd only chose the last option if you know you won't be facing any 2+ armour, T6+ models, or AV12+ vehicles.

If you don't get the Libby, the list you have is good, though I'd definitely reorganize the meltas into one squad, drop the powerfist in favour of a power sword and then give meltabombs to both the Reclusiarch and the other Sergeant.

Deadpool1713

Deadpool1713

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Sorry, I forgot about the whole powers thing for the Librarian pinch.gif  I meant to tell you to take Prescience which is from the Divination table, and then whatever else you happen to roll for on the table. Haha, whoops whistlingW.gif  Still roll twice though, and take the better from the two and use the other roll for Prescience. 

Brother Maikel

Brother Maikel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 268 posts

Sorry, I forgot about the whole powers thing for the Librarian pinch.gif  I meant to tell you to take Prescience which is from the Divination table, and then whatever else you happen to roll for on the table. Haha, whoops whistlingW.gif  Still roll twice though, and take the better from the two and use the other roll for Prescience. 

Be careful... you have to roll on the table once and decide whether to swap that power for the primaris before you're allowed to roll the second time; you can't roll both dice and pick which one you want to swap.  Unfortunately dry.png

Deadpool1713

Deadpool1713

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Be careful... you have to roll on the table once and decide whether to swap that power for the primaris before you're allowed to roll the second time; you can't roll both dice and pick which one you want to swap.  Unfortunately dry.png

Aww that sucks sad.png thank you for pointing that out to me though. I can't really afford the rule book, so every time I reference a rule or something it's only mostly right. (ex. the psychic power mistake I made earlier) 

IMMORTALIS

IMMORTALIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

And if I were to take a Librarian is it worth the 50 point upgrade to epistolary, yeah I think I will definitely reorganize my squads, although now i'm wondering how useful 2 meltas are going to be in a 500 point game with (probably) few or no vehicles...

IMMORTALIS

IMMORTALIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

Aww that sucks sad.png thank you for pointing that out to me though. I can't really afford the rule book, so every time I reference a rule or something it's only mostly right. (ex. the psychic power mistake I made earlier) 

You should get the dark vengeance book on ebay, cheaper than  a codex, seen em go for around £15.00

In fact I may be getting a hardback copy soon enough in the next few months, once I do you'll be welcome to my copy. Also taken your advice and swapped out the powerfist for a powersword and given the sergeant who will be dealing with anti-infantry a hand flamer, thanks for the advice gentlemen.

Edited by IMMORTALIS, 23 April 2013 - 01:19 PM.

Brother Maikel

Brother Maikel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 268 posts

Epistolary isn't worth it... 50pts is just too much for not enough payoff.  You're better off with additional bodies.

Meltaguns are worth it... even if you don't see any vehicles, they're still AP1 shooting that Instant-deaths T4 or less, but still allows you to assault.  You also may see a monstrous creature, especially against Daemons or Tyranids, and Meltaguns will help a lot in that case.  At 10pts each, that's a great value.

IMMORTALIS

IMMORTALIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

How useful is the melta pistol in your experience as I am debating cutting the melta bomb and giving my sergeant an infernus pistol instead?

IMMORTALIS

IMMORTALIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

I have updated my list  as per your suggestions and so far I have

HQ

1 Reclusiarch with Jump pack, bolt pistol and power maul (librarian hasn't even been dispatched yet) :(

Troops

3 assault marines with Jump packs, bolt pistols and chainswords

1 assault marine with jump pack and flamer

1 sergeant with jump pack hand flamer and chainsword + melta bombs

Troops

7 assault marines with Jump packs, bolt pistols and chainswords 

2 assault marine with jump packs and meltas

1 sergeant with jump pack, power sword and bolt pistol

Brother Maikel

Brother Maikel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 268 posts

I like it.  I usually run a squad of Assault Marines with 2x Melta and a gunslinger sarge with Bolt Pistol and Infernus Pistol.  That lets me combat-squad and put all three melta weapons together, which I can drop behind opponents' lines and blow up their tanks.  Most of the time that squad will get me First Blood, but then die a horrible death the next turn, being charged or shot by most of my opponents' army.

That said, under your constraints that strategy probably wouldn't be the greatest idea.  Unless your opponent accidentally spreads their forces out too far, any melta drop would probably be suicide, and you just don't have the points available to throw away a combat squad.  Especially since there are very few vehicles that can be brought at 500pts that would be that threatening to you.  And outside of suicide drops the gun's range hurts its performance by a lot.  Unless you can get right up in the enemy's grille, you're stuck at either non-melta-range or not even firing at all.

So basically its up to you.  Having one sergeant tooled up with an IP in your collection wouldn't be a bad thing, but I don't know if I'd run it all the time.

IMMORTALIS

IMMORTALIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

I'm expecting to be facing mainly vanilla marine variations and maybe necrons so the melta's instakill may come in handy, I was debating deep striking my flamer squad but with such a small force on the table I can't see much reason to hold any potential scoring units in reserve depending on which army I'll be facing, yeah definitely can't afford to suicide a combat squad under the circumstances, my main strategy is for MEQ armies to get into shooting range fast enough to thin their ranks, Reclusiarch can soak up any wounds that may knock out my melta guys up front, get in for a charge and tie them up while flamer guys ward off anybody stupid enough to charge with template shots and overwatch, or alternatively charge all my guys forward and hope my opponent fills his underwear in fear during which time he'll be changing them and i'll be reading his codex to exploit his weaknesses...I can't see it being all that effective against orks/GK/other blood angels however so i'll likely make it up as I go along and pretend I had a plan to begin with, bit like Tzeentch really...

Deadpool1713

Deadpool1713

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

You should get the dark vengeance book on ebay, cheaper than  a codex, seen em go for around £15.00

In fact I may be getting a hardback copy soon enough in the next few months, once I do you'll be welcome to my copy. Also taken your advice and swapped out the powerfist for a powersword and given the sergeant who will be dealing with anti-infantry a hand flamer, thanks for the advice gentlemen.

well thank you for the offer :D if I don't get a hardback myself than I'd be interested in buying yours

Epistolary isn't worth it... 50pts is just too much for not enough payoff.  You're better off with additional bodies.

Meltaguns are worth it... even if you don't see any vehicles, they're still AP1 shooting that Instant-deaths T4 or less, but still allows you to assault.  You also may see a monstrous creature, especially against Daemons or Tyranids, and Meltaguns will help a lot in that case.  At 10pts each, that's a great value.

I personally like the Epistolary upgrade, but in this list (being how small of a points value it is) it might be iffy... lastly, on the meltas, it is good to keep them because as stated previously it can still be a guaranteed kill for T4 or lower models, I'd prefer to stay with the gun though (range is more and the points are 10 as opposed to 15) but hey who knows,  it could do fine paired with that power sword :P I just never use em

IMMORTALIS

IMMORTALIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

I think i'll have to make the best out of my Reclusiarch for the time being, although I can see the re-rolls to hit in assault as being particularly handy, thin em out with the meltas, (hopefully get very lucky and get red thirst on the larger unit) and charge them into oblivion, mop up other straggling unit with flamers (debating whether or not to see if the enemy clusters then deep strike my flamers, DoA ftw)

BAHERSH

BAHERSH

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 116 posts

I agree with the eventual switch to the librarian. I would get the force axe version so that you have an ap 2 cc weapon, and would go with the shield of sanguinius to give your guys a 5+ cover save while they advance up (you dont really have that many guns to shoot with, so prescience is kinda meh in my opinion).

That'll give you an extra 30 pts to work with, so I'd grab another power sword, set of melta bombs, and hand flamer for the 2 sergeants.

Finally, while I normally am a fan of the melta guns in larger games (that include vehicles), if you're only facing other troops, you'll probably be better off with plasma guns (longer range, double the firepower, still will wound on 2+). Just a thought.

IMMORTALIS

IMMORTALIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

Yeah it turned out it was a 1000 point game (game store told me the wrong info) so I had to borrow some devastators/death company and attack bikes  off the guy who worked there, meltas helped me out massively against the soul grinder. I'm not too familiar with the whole psychic table things and I can't really find any real helpful info in my mini rulebook. I intend to run a deepstriking Dante honour guard with 3 plasma guns, a chapter banner bearer and a sanguinary novitiate, also considering a death company, melta pistol CCW land raider unit to chew up infantry and vehicles, devastators served me pretty well and kept the large blasts off my assault marines/ DC for the most part.

Deadpool1713

Deadpool1713

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 93 posts

Well that kind of sucks, at least you got to borrow some models though to make up for the points.

IMMORTALIS

IMMORTALIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

Yeah, time to blow all my wages on stuff to make up 500 points lol!

BAHERSH

BAHERSH

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 116 posts

Haha, I know the feeling. For 1000pts, get either dante/ honor guard, or DC, not both. Personally, I'm a big fan of the DC, and they would synergize well with the Reclusiarch, should you not trade him out for dante/ a librarian. You'll probably want to max out that other Assault Squad, and the rest is up to you!

Sanguinary Priests are a pretty fantastic addition to your assault squads, and it sounds like your a fan of the devastator squads, so maybe get some of those. Personally, I like the Multi-Melta attack Bikes instead, but there are a ton of options. My 1k list looks like this:

HQ:

Librarian w/ Force Axe, Jump Pack

Elites:

1 Sang Priest w/ Power Fist, Jump Pack

Troops: 

10 Assault Marines w/ 2 melta guns, Power Sword, Melta Bombs

10 more Assault Marines w/ 2 melta guns, Power Sword, Melta Bombs

7 Death Company w/ 2 thunder hammers, Jump Packs

Fast Attack:
2 Attack Bikes w/ Multi Meltas

My biggest tip is take your time. I purchased the jumbo pack box and realized I didn't actually want the 10 man tactical squad and rhino in my army (wasted  quite a bit of money)

Edited by BAHERSH, 30 April 2013 - 07:12 AM.

IMMORTALIS

IMMORTALIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

Yeah the battleforce wasn't my best purchase, made 10 assault marines from it though so not too bad, I have a highly experimental addition to my list, being

1 DC dread with double blood talons, melta, heavy flamer and magna grapple, heavy armour

5 DC marines, Rhino Powerfist x 2 Infernus pistol power weapons

IMMORTALIS

IMMORTALIS

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 26 posts

Also swapping out the Reclusiarch for a Librarian with force axe and plasma pistol, and a sanguinary priest with power sword (or axe) and adding an extra 2 guys from the 10 man squad to my 5 man assault squad for a bit more staying power.

BAHERSH

BAHERSH

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 116 posts

Sounds okay, but a few recommendations (some constructive criticism if ya don't mind ;)

For the sang priest, I'd go with the axe, since he'll be joining one of your assault squads and won't have to take challenges.

I wouldn't swap squads out.. You can't take the extra melta gun or flamer if you do so. Just add 5 more guys!

Do you intend to walk you dreadnaught all the way up into close combat? He'll be shot to pieces before he makes it. You'll need a drop pod for him, if you want him to have a fighting chance, and even then it's a large risk that he won't make it into close combat. I'm no expert with dreadnaughts (i personally think they're much too slow and unreliable), but generally people use the furioso instead of the DC version, as it has 13 front armor instead of 12 (and the frag cannon isn't bad either).

Also, the DC's squad doesn't need so many upgrades. For 5 men, 1 power fist should be just fine. i know it's cool having so much super gear, but they're pretty much going to trash anything they can make it to (survivability being key). If you're going to spend that many points, double the squad size. 10 DC with 1 or 2 Power Fists is WAY better than a fully geared out squad of 5, because they get like 6 attacks each on the charge with WS5 and S5. Or, spend the gear on Jump Packs, so they can jump with and hide behind your assault squads and live longer.

If I was your opponent, I would think "hmmm, I'm gonna fire everything I got at that rhino and leave those DC walking across the board." With 11 armor, it won't be hard for me to pop it, kill your DC who don't survive thaaat well on their own, and then only have a dreadnaught to worry about. Plus, troops cant assault the same turn they leave a rhino, so even if the rhino made it across the board, I would unload on them before you could get them into CC. Personally, I love DC with Jump Packs. They're just really freaking expensive point wise, so you'll need a good distraction (i.e.: drop podding a dreadnaught in close proximity to the enemy) while they advance upward, because most players fire everything they got at the DC.

In higher point games, putting a walking DC squad in a land raider or Stormraven works well, because they have more survivability (i.e. faster/ better armor) than a rhino, and CAN assault the same turn when disembarking from these vehicles.

Anyway, I'll stop with the criticism. Your 500 pt roster looks very good. However, I think a lot of new players struggle to balance their pt budget when moving outside of the basic HQ, 2 Troops prerequisite. There's a TON to choose from, and it's really easy to feel the need to put some superdeath, awesome, fully geared up elite unit together. While this can be alright, just think how the rest of your list supports this unit, since it will be the pivot point of your army.

Finally, make sure to experiment and do your own thing if it feels right. Nothing feels better then making a creative list that functions in a tactical way that is unique to you. Just make sure you think through the various angles.