New FAQ (April)

cielaq

Call me stupid but....where the hell is the save option?

EDIT: OK just call me stupid, I found it tongue.png

EDIT2: ENlighten me on why the Dw sarge cant replace his storm bolter and sword with a TH/SS. It says any model...Am I missing something?

Yes, it says any model may replace his storm bolter and power fist. The Sarge doesn't have a power fist.

Just as I said call me stupid. cry.gif

Well, at least mine are like that already.

Call me stupid but....where the hell is the save option?

EDIT: OK just call me stupid, I found it tongue.png

EDIT2: ENlighten me on why the Dw sarge cant replace his storm bolter and sword with a TH/SS. It says any model...Am I missing something?

it says "any model can replace its storm bolter and power fist" - the DW sarge has a power sword, not a power fist. Fortunately I still have all my sergeants with Power Swords so this doesn't affect me. I'm also pretty sure it is entirely deliberate, as all of the books/stories/fluff I've ever read about DA always has their terminator sergeants with swords. {Edit - ninja'd! ;) }

Regarding the DWA rule, in one sense I'm glad I'm vindicated - I wrote on the forum 2 months ago that DWA was not exempt from counting towards reserves, straight after I read the mission special rules in the Altar of War release (as did a couple of other people).....its just that not everybody wanted to believe us! In another sense I'm not, as DWA not counting against reserves would have been great!

I'm happy about the RWCS upgrade, that's a good thing.

The thing that really confuses me is the PFG nerf. The BRB FAQ specifically says that area of effect wargear measures that area of effect from the hull of the embarked transport.....and yet the PFG suddenly doesn't extend past the hull......so why is the KFF allowed to extend past the hull, but the PFG not? Confused!

The funny thing about the PFG is that now, a vehicle within 3" of a PFG can profit from its effect whereas a vehicle with a PFG inside cant

Where do you see that? It says when embarked it only effects the models embarked.

He's saying that if the PFG bearer is standing between four land raiders in a parking lot, all of them get the full effect of the 4+ invulnerable save, but as soon as he steps inside one, all of them, including the one he's riding in, lose the save.  There's a relatively simple fix for this...put your PFG on a bike behind the land raiders, instead of inside!  You heard it here first!

/edit/

Okay, damage assessment.  I'll have to put my PFG-bearing techie on a bike.  After dropping the single servitor (bought from leftover points), It's a points hike of 10...and an interesting modeling project!  He'll also be able to repair either of the two tanks that he's following around, but only on a 5+, not the previous 4+.  Also, he's at more risk than before, especially from deepstrikers.  Countervaling, late-game, his bike makes him an excellent objective-contesting unit.  And with T5 and a 2+/4++ save, he's not the most fragile model on the battlefield, single wound be damned.  A libby might be worthwhile for the second wound, though, if I can't find the ten points and am forced to drop my sixth knight to make this happen.

The funny thing about the PFG is that now, a vehicle within 3" of a PFG can profit from its effect whereas a vehicle with a PFG inside cant

Where do you see that? It says when embarked it only effects the models embarked.

He's saying that if the PFG bearer is standing between four land raiders in a parking lot, all of them get the full effect of the 4+ invulnerable save, but as soon as he steps inside one, all of them, including the one he's riding in, lose the save.  There's a relatively simple fix for this...put your PFG on a bike behind the land raiders, instead of inside!

Ahh, I got what you are saying now.

Well, if my techmarine with PFG is inside Land Raider, the said LR does not benefit from PFG (per FAQ), but the moment he disembarks (as long as he remains within 3" of LR), the same LR suddenly benefits from PFG (as LR is now within 3" from model with PFG).

Edit: Now I was ningaed. :)

Just by applying the rule.

Only model embarked can profit from it. So if you embark you techmarine withPFG inside a crusader then only the tech will profit from it.

But if you have you techmarine within 3" OUTSIDE the crusader then the crusader can profit from the rule described in the PFG description as it's a friendly model within 3".

FAQ introduce only a limitation regarding model embarked, it says absolutely nothing about model outside.

He's saying that if the PFG bearer is standing between four land raiders in a parking lot, all of them get the full effect of the 4+ invulnerable save, but as soon as he steps inside one, all of them, including the one he's riding in, lose the save. There's a relatively simple fix for this...put your PFG on a bike behind the land raiders, instead of inside! You heard it here first!

Heres two internet cookies tongue.png

Problem though was never to make the LRs get the inv, but to extend the bubble to engulf multiple squads. Thats the reason you used the raider.

There's a relatively simple fix for this...put your PFG on a bike behind the land raiders, instead of inside! You heard it here first!

Thanks march10k! I had a feelin you would solve at least one 'update' for us msn-wink.gif

He's saying that if the PFG bearer is standing between four land raiders in a parking lot, all of them get the full effect of the 4+ invulnerable save, but as soon as he steps inside one, all of them, including the one he's riding in, lose the save. There's a relatively simple fix for this...put your PFG on a bike behind the land raiders, instead of inside! You heard it here first!

/edit/

Okay, damage assessment. I'll have to put my PFG-bearing techie on a bike. After dropping the single servitor (bought from leftover points), It's a points hike of 10...and an interesting modeling project! He'll also be able to repair either of the two tanks that he's following around, but only on a 5+, not the previous 4+. Also, he's at more risk than before, especially from deepstrikers. Countervaling, late-game, his bike makes him an excellent objective-contesting unit. And with T5 and a 2+/4++ save, he's not the most fragile model on the battlefield, single wound be damned. A libby might be worthwhile for the second wound, though, if I can't find the ten points and am forced to drop my sixth knight to make this happen.

The problem with the servator beforehand is that it was a separate unit, so deploying the Techmarine with Belial, a unit of Terminators and a Servitor in a Land Raider is against the rules sad.png

I too immediately thought of putting it on a bike, the only reason I don't like it is, as you said, its more vulnerable, especially to drop pods and such. Though if those players want to spend a turn and try to take out my Techmarine instead of my Land Raiders/Terminators, more power to them. I'll just be in their face with the things they ignored as vengence tongue.png

While I'm on this, how does this make sense? A Standard gets to buff around the Land Raider but a PFG doesn't? Units can't even see the standard while it is inside a Land Raider, at least the PFG makes sense because its just a field around the bearer. It isn't being waved to boost moral and such. Ugh.

As to the other stuff, I kind of saw the SoD being only Bolters. Even though I don't play Ravenwing I'm glad they finally can have a 5 man command squad. And I also admit defeat in the DWA does count towards the 50%. So a tip of the hat to everyone with that.

Now, what the censored.gif did you do to my Deathwing Sergeants? We've been able to have them have LC/TH & SS since, oh you know, forever. And now because you can't proofread we can't? I'm getting a little tired of your censored.gif GW. Luckily most of my rank and file Terminators are magnetized, but come on. This is the one part of the FAQ that really ticks me off to no end. Since 6th edition dropped I have ALWAYS used my Sergeants with TH & SS, so they could soak up the challenge for my HQs if I really wanted them to not sit out a combat. But now instead of having a remote chance in some of these challenges, they have no chance. Hopefully we won't have to wait months for this to get changed back.

Typical GW, they fix some things and manage to break things that didn't need fixing. . . .

IMHO these FAQs killed DA...

It just killed DW heavy list...

For the rest, it just clarifies what everyon already knew : don't tell me you've used Courage of the Lion for a Libby or arguing that your heavy bolters can profit from the dakkapole.

For the PFG, well it's not dramatic... it just sounds strange considering the point I've raised before... And elphilo did made a point when you also consider that dakkapole bubble still works though.

This is just sad for rhino/RZB as it was the last viable way to make them reliable... It seems that v6 will be the reign of LR and drop pods

Nowadays with these FAQs that nerfed PFG, DW sgts, DWA, and didnt fixed the already broken units (DT, NJF, LSV, BoC) DA are the weakest 6th ed. codex...

And in about 1 month eldar will come...

Being the poster boys of 6th ed. didnt saved us...

This is sad...

I guess that GW dont obliterate DA only for the cool fluff and models...

The sergeant in the DW squad was given free weapon options in the 4th Edition codex, but didn't have it in 3rd.  That being said, if they were going to revert to the style of 3rd Edition, they should've given the sergeants access to the armoury (like also like they had in 3rd edition, and much like the sergeants in almost every other DA squad now).

Master Avoghai... Having 4++ on transports was the only way to get in HtH with the cheesytau...

They can obliterate bikes negating cover saves and DS units as well... They have powerful anti veichle dire and the shoit more and farer t'han DA... Now we have to foot slug towards them getting heavy casualties...

I am pretty sure that GW hates DA and the inclusion on starter box was a sadistic joke...

Master Avoghai... Having 4++ on transports was the only way to get in HtH with the cheesytau...

They can obliterate bikes negating cover saves and DS units as well... They have powerful anti veichle dire and the shoit more and farer t'han DA... Now we have to foot slug towards them getting heavy casualties...

I am pretty sure that GW hates DA and the inclusion on starter box was a sadistic joke...

All you've really lost is a higher chance at an additional 6" movement on the second turn before you assault.

The only thing I think GW hates is assault deathwing terminators. They gave TH/SS a point cost on top of the point increase for DW terminators (for special rules that assault terminators can't use). Now your sergeant is stuck with a stock power sword, the worst CC option DW terminators have.

there are simple fixes for the PFG 9,000. one is to spend a little extra points buying a ravenwing squad (three marines) and place them around the tech marine to absorb wounds.

For the DWA, i think we can still manage. if half go into reserves, then half should be geared for long range combat while the other half can deep strike down in the midst of the enemy.

the sergeants may have to gimp out on challenges. oh well, I guess. hopefully some angry letters to GW will clear it up.

and now i have to spend more points to protect my RW command squad. sweet :D

While I'm on this, how does this make sense? A Standard gets to buff around the Land Raider but a PFG doesn't? Units can't even see the standard while it is inside a Land Raider, at least the PFG makes sense because its just a field around the bearer. It isn't being waved to boost moral and such. Ugh.

Presumably the PFG projects the field from a central point, which is blocked by the structure of an enclosed vehicle - in the same way that, say, LOS is blocked by a tank. It can project around an object but not through it, perhaps? Just speculating here, naturally.

Maybe the standard bearer can stick the pole in some sort of bracket on the outside of the tank so that the standard is still visible while they're embarked? Otherwise they'd need some sort of telescopic pole arrangement and advanced banner folding skills to do the necessary in the heat of battle.

While we're on the subject of "making sense": how does it "make sense" that a flag can change the physical nature of a boltgun to make it more shooty? I'm not objecting to the rule, by the way, just pointing out the absurdity of claiming "but this doesn't make sense" when discussing the details of a fantasy wargame set 39,000 years into the future tongue.png

The only thing I think GW hates is assault deathwing terminators. They gave TH/SS a point cost on top of the point increase for DW terminators (for special rules that assault terminators can't use). Now your sergeant is stuck with a stock power sword, the worst CC option DW terminators have.

Um, they just brought our TH/SS into line with everyone else's. We pay a 4 points per model premium on our terminators, for which we get Deathwing Assault, Fearless, Preferred Enemy (CSM) and Vengeful Strike, only one of which is unusable by assault terminators; on top of which we can mix and match ranged and assault terminators within squads and give an assault terminator a Heavy 2 missile launcher if we wish. That doesn't seem like the result of "hatred" to me...

Archived