New FAQ (April)

cielaq

Too bad DW can't use combat squad...

Oh, cause taking a squad of ten with two heavies, a sergeant, two tacticals, and five thundernators, then combat-squadding them into five that are crusader-mounted and five that objective-camp with a pair of CMLs without paying more...that would be totally balanced, right? No cheese there! [/sarcasm]

As for RAI instead of RAW, who says your interpretation of the rules is what GW intended?

G

In this specific instance, I agree. In general, RAW is dead. RAI only comes into play, however, when there is room for interpretation. A DW sergeant has no powerfist, so it's not a struggle between RAW and RAI, it's a mismatch between the rules and what people want. There's no room to interpret "powerfist" as "any weapon paired with a stormbolter," hence no room to interpret anything. Hence, absent a house rule, there's only one legal loadout for a DW sergeant. But that's not a RAW thing, it's a rules thing.

An example where RAW-RAI tension does exist is that RAW, a techmarine on a bike unlocks a ravenwing command squad, and if he takes servitors, they can unlock a regular one...but Ray Charles can see that the intent was that neither techies nor servitors be able to unlock any sort of command squad.

Too bad DW can't use combat squad...

Oh, cause taking a squad of ten with two heavies, a sergeant, two tacticals, and five thundernators, then combat-squadding them into five that are crusader-mounted and five that objective-camp with a pair of CMLs without paying more...that would be totally balanced, right? No cheese there! [/sarcasm]
You forgot to say 2 CML "with split fire" :p

a casual tweak

A "casual tweak?" Like "gee, I don't like that melee weapons now have an AP value, so I'm just going to revert to all power weapons being AP-all" is a casual tweak? Refusing to follow a rule that you don't like...is not a "casual tweak!" If a game shop or a game club wants to make a house rule, fine. That's allowed for...but petulantly declaring that you, personally, will not ever follow the actual rules of the game...? Words, other than those that describe an unwashed 11 year old only child whose parents paint his models for him and who pitches a fit when you *gasp* roll that 6 to sieze the initiative (the little brat who is the scourge of every gaming shop, worse if he's the owner's brat,) fail me.

You forgot to say 2 CML "with split fire" tongue.png

Whoops! LOL

a casual tweak

A "casual tweak?"  Like "gee, I don't like that melee weapons now have an AP value, so I'm just going to revert to all power weapons being AP-all" is a casual tweak?  Refusing to follow a rule that you don't like...is not a "casual tweak!" If a game shop or a game club wants to make a house rule, fine.  That's allowed for...but petulantly declaring that you, personally, will not ever follow the actual rules of the game...?  Words, other than those that describe an unwashed 11 year old only child whose parents paint his models for him and who pitches a fit when you *gasp* roll that 6 to sieze the initiative (the little brat who is the scourge of every gaming shop, worse if he's the owner's brat,) fail me.

You're right that this is obnoxious behaviour but it's not actually cheating, so calling someone a cheat for openly wanting to do something that goes against a particular rule and who would, presumably (no evidence to the contrary), discuss it with you before you played them is unwarranted.

"Accidentally" moving your models in the wrong phase, or your opponent's turn; "forgetting" how many wounds your warlord has taken, or which weapons on your land raider have been destroyed - these are examples of cheating. Saying "I want to arm my DW Sarge with TH/SS, are you OK with that?" is not - even if your reaction to a negative response is petulant or childish.

Gumbo,

Agreed...but I don't see a lot of "I'm gonna negotiate a compromise with my opponent" in here, I just see a bunch of "screw the rules, I'm gonna do what I want."  And I never called anyone a cheater ;)

Why does everyone else care what rules get used in their personal games? Is it a superiority thing, because that's what it sounds like: "I'm better because I only use RAW", "I'm better because my RAI is better than yours", "I like my RAD, because the RAW is stupid", "I play tournaments only, so my games are more pure than your beer & pretzel games." In the end, it is ALL stupid and childish, we all play a game with little plastic models. Who gives a crap? I don't know a single person that depends on GW games to determine whether they eat that month or have shelter to live in.

Personally, I really don't care what GW says about the rules, my game group plays with their own house rules anyway. Being slavishly devoted to the rules doesn't mean you play 40K and someone else doesn't, it means you like gaming a certain way and someone else doesn't. Jeez. There's a lot more to 40K than just being slavishly devoted to a rules set, there's history, fluff and models, the narrative experience of the game, etc. If I like playing the game a certain way and you don't, and we can't come to some sort of compromise, we don't play a game we both like. Simple as that.

We should all be more disappointed and ashamed that there are other players who feel disappointed or ashamed of other people for playing a game the way they want in a manner that doesn't affect the ashamed party.

While I agree with you, when you play with a total stranger (I for one dont have  friends that care for 40k) you have to agree on the rule set.

And frankly my definition of fun doesnt include cheating from either side.

I think this thread needs abit of cooling down and a change of direction back to the topic. Accusations of cheating/whining, over the top sarcasm or just plain rudeness are not doing us as a community any good. So let's drop the OT and discuss the FAQ as intended. 

Can someone tell me if the dakkapole+LRC wombo combo is still in?

Are you asking if the Dakka pole can sit inside an LRC and still have a 6" bubble around it? Because if so, yes it can.

I use one on foot manning the Quad gun, flanked by two riflemen... My AA core

sweet mother of the emperor, that's a lot of AA...how many fliers do you face??!?

Haha maybe I've been playing competitively too long, but I would call that an appropriate amount of AA and is similar to what I use (drop the quadgun, and throw in some black knights). IMO, appropriate AA means being able to reliable drop a flier a turn.

I use one on foot manning the Quad gun, flanked by two riflemen... My AA core

sweet mother of the emperor, that's a lot of AA...how many fliers do you face??!?

Haha maybe I've been playing competitively too long, but I would call that an appropriate amount of AA and is similar to what I use (drop the quadgun, and throw in some black knights). IMO, appropriate AA means being able to reliable drop a flier a turn.

It's a neat trick, if you can pull it off without being stuck with anything that can only snap-fire at ground targets.  Unless your AA is equally as good at shooting non-fliers without costing significantly more, taking AA makes a list less competitive, not more, IMHO.  The only flier spam that need be feared is three drakes...and even then, that's over 1/4 of the enemy's points in three models.  I'm be happy taking down .7 fliers per turn with incidental fire (like lascannon devastators supported by a PFG-prescience libby, a standard choice in my power armor list) while spending all of my points on stuff that's designed primarily to kill the ground targets that the enemy can't win without.  JMHO, YMMV

Archived