Wolf_Pack's Blood Angels - Conversions and Kit Bashes

Good day sons of Sanguinius!

I'll be keeping a thread for my Blood Angels work. while I am a terrible painter, I really enjoy the building and converting aspect of the hobby. Perhaps you'll find some interesting ideas in the works I will share.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have, we are here to share knowledge =)

Here's the first of 5 Assault on Black Reach Dreadnoughts I will be converting. I bought a single Furioso dreadnought for bits, and other parts I had lying around.

First up : Furioso Librarian

gallery_71633_8408_634949.jpggallery_71633_8408_82493.jpggallery_71633_8408_1248318.jpg

Wow! That's an impact model right there :D - converting is one of my favourite things :) 

my only (very small) suggesting would be to fill in the Inquisition style cut out in the sword, either with green stuff or cover it with something :)

Perhaps fill it with skulls?

Looking good. I also went for the weapon of the dreadnight. The generic "toothpick" was underwhelming. I can see I'll have to find me a few boxes of sang guard. Those wings sure are handy for many things, stormshields not to forget.

I'm looking forward to follow this tread. :)

Looking good. I also went for the weapon of the dreadnight. The generic "toothpick" was underwhelming. I can see I'll have to find me a few boxes of sang guard. Those wings sure are handy for many things, stormshields not to forget.

I'm looking forward to follow this tread. smile.png

To me, wings are like frank's red hot sauce. I put that **** on everything.

Not to be a party pooper but you do realize that the Furioso lib can't take the magna grapple and by using a sword you make his force weapon hit with S6 AP3  instead of S7 AP2? 

In regards to the wrist mounted Magna Grapple - All these dreadnoughts are going to be 100% magnetized, and all the parts are interchangeable inbetween them. so if I don't feel like fielding a libby - I can just swap his wrists out for something else. I made it first because I was sitting there with an extra sanguinary guard backpack and thought it would be awesome to do something with it, since I was missing the forearm on the dreadnought arm. If someone ever has a problem with it, I can swap it out - I use it just for aesthetics right now. 

As for the Force Sword, I am aware of that. To me, the Librarian Libby's job is to bully units that can't harm him. Most things with a 2+ save seem to come with a thunder hammer, Power Fist or the Monstrous Creature status - So they are equipped to deal with him and I will keep him away from them. I think that since he is already S6, striking at initiative also Helps him deal with things like Tervigons (I1), Carnifex (I1) Talos (I4) and other 3+ save low initiative MCs. I don't feel comfortable taking a power axe, As Unwieldy does not allow me to take on these monstrous creatures without rist of losing the dreadnought

Otherwise, the bloosfist give me that AP 2 at initiative and S10, which innately will have the same effect as a force weapon on most characters the axe would dispatched, but striking again at initiative. If it doesn't turn out, I'll convert a nice power axe, and get a second sword and have a crazy dervish Death company dreadnought with 2 swords instead of talons =)

Enjoying your work. What do you think inspires you? How do you come up with conversions/kit bashes? I sometimes struggle to envision new ideas.

Good question!

I've been in the hobby for a long time now (going on 13 years) and the most important rule is to not be afraid to fail. If I compare my first conversions to what I do now, I can honestly say that they are not as elaborate, and some are downright bad ideas in retrospect - but I was proud of what I accomplished none the less. I am a bits hoarder, and I hold bits trading events every few months just to get some ideas. I see a cool looking part and think, what can I do with this? Is it properly proportioned to fit well on this? And I try it. If it doesn't work, you can just undo and start from scratch. don't be scared of breaking the mold, as long as your models are coherent with what they will represent.

I've done some things that look terrible to me now - But if I hadn't done it in the first place, I wouldn't have the experiences I've accumulated right now. Don't be afraid to experiment, and don't compare yourself to what you see online. I am dead serious on this. Too many hobbyists just don't attempt anything out of fear on comparison "It won't look as good as that dude's over there who's a golden daemon winner!" Maybe it won't, but if you took your time and gave it your best shot, you can be proud of what you accomplish and just keep getting better and better.

Greenstuff is the bane of my existence still, but I keep at it. I know my limits with it and work within my boundaries and keep pushing them little by little. Start with small projects and as you'll improve tackle bigger ideas.

There's also nothing wrong with looking at what other people are doing to find some inspiration, and putting your twist on it - Not everyone has the same creative level, and some people have the ability to improve concepts rather than to create them.

I hope this helps a bit, and let me know if you have any questions

I don't feel comfortable taking a power axe, As Unwieldy does not allow me to take on these monstrous creatures without rist of losing the dreadnought

Otherwise, the bloosfist give me that AP 2 at initiative and S10, which innately will have the same effect as a force weapon on most characters the axe would dispatched, but striking again at initiative. If it doesn't turn out, I'll convert a nice power axe, and get a second sword and have a crazy dervish Death company dreadnought with 2 swords instead of talons =)

Walkers ignore unwieldy, so there's no downside at all to taking the axe. :)  

I don't feel comfortable taking a power axe, As Unwieldy does not allow me to take on these monstrous creatures without rist of losing the dreadnought

Otherwise, the bloosfist give me that AP 2 at initiative and S10, which innately will have the same effect as a force weapon on most characters the axe would dispatched, but striking again at initiative. If it doesn't turn out, I'll convert a nice power axe, and get a second sword and have a crazy dervish Death company dreadnought with 2 swords instead of talons =)

Walkers ignore unwieldy, so there's no downside at all to taking the axe. smile.png

Where is this written?

Because, damn I've been gimping myself! (wouldn't be the first time)

Edit: I'll be damned! It's under unwieldy! Well, since there is no advantage whatsoever to a force sword, I don't think people will mind the sword as a power axe! thanks =)

That does look pretty sweet..! I might have done something else with the eyes, as red eyes and red armour doesnt bring em out completly, but it still works very well.. And impressive painting! I never managed to paint white, and make it look good..!  You. however did! :)

That does look pretty sweet..! I might have done something else with the eyes, as red eyes and red armour doesnt bring em out completly, but it still works very well.. And impressive painting! I never managed to paint white, and make it look good..! You. however did! smile.png

This is the first time I summoned enough courage to paint white, I've always thought of it as a nightmare. IF you want to know I use a very simple method: Basecoat white, Gryphon sephia wash and a D mud wash in the crevasses. Afterthat 2 coats of white are enough to have a fairly uniform white over the sephia.

Ahh, Covenant's sword. Looks awesome.

But what's the...goo coming from the sword to his hand? Is he going to be wiping ichor from the blade?

I was inspired by blood magic, especially with his vampiric look - Mephiston is hinted to be a Vampire. He is infusing the blade with his blood and that's why he is doing an arc motion with the hand over the blade with an open palm.  The base is a pool of blood with blood dripping from the heels of his feet, you just don't see it well from this angle.

Archived