Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Photography for dummies

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

0ldman

0ldman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 31 posts
  • Faction: Stormcrow
Hi all,

I've written a quick, dirty and above all else simple guide to taking photos of your figures. If this is something you've ever struggled with, please take a look at the article over on my blog: How to Photograph Miniatures

Cheers,
Dean

• Kierdale, S.k.i.t.t.l.e and Warpsmith_Johnson like this

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Marx (Groucho, not Karl).

Blog: http://wargames-wast...blogspot.co.uk/

S.k.i.t.t.l.e

S.k.i.t.t.l.e

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 338 posts

Nice tut. (Also the quote in your signature made me snigger :D)

Find me on Facebook: Je Suis Un Geek

Also on Instagram! @Je_Suis_Un_Geek

Get in touch for a competitively priced commission!

0ldman

0ldman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 31 posts

Thanks! It's a simple scheme, but it does work. There's almost zero "fuss" and the results are reliable and perfectly presentable for websites.

Thanks for the feedback.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Hanska

Hanska

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 154 posts
  • Faction: Order of the shining dawn, DA
Good tutorial.
I like how you point out that you don't need expensive gear to take good shots. And you mention the timer. I use a 2 sec timer so I can get my hands off the camera before the shot. I use manual settings with a very small (what is in english) "hole" around F28 to F36 to get a deeper area of focus and it means longer shutter times. Photographing minis can be like sniping, even your own pulse can ruin a shot.

I would have added one thing though. As you mentioned something like 5mp is way too big to post on the net. So why take pictures too close from the mini? Even with macro there is something called minimum focus distance, and way too many takes pictures too close so the camera can only focus on the backround, leaving the mini really blurry. I take pictures from about 40cm distance and just crop them with the same software I resize the to net friendly size.

0ldman

0ldman

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 31 posts

Thanks for the tip!

Feedback is always very welcome. Your comments make a lot of sense - if you don't mind I'll update my tutorial to encompass your suggestions about backing off and cropping.

Cheers!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users