Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

TITH I put the finishing touches on a Scout squad that has metal Telion leading it while the others are plastic. Then I spray-coated a metal Terminator Librarian, metal Master of Recruits and the 2008 GD Captain (2-handed TH).

This effort brought me to some conclusions:

• I do not have a plan to complete my army
  • Plastic scouts suck to paint due to lack of detail and "soft" lines
  • Metal scouts suck to paint due to too much detail
  • Why did I shave off the "X" from my Telion's left knee pad?
  • Why the :cuss do I want to try to paint that doorstop of a Terminator Librarian :eek
  • Why in the Wide Wide World of Sports do I want to paint that Captain? 

So today I decided to have a little think on where I was taking my 30k Death Guard and what I'd like to add to them (oh Leviathan, I see you with that Melta Lance there looking back at me!).  Shame that I have cluttered the desk up so haven't been able to work on them in a while.

But what gets me from reading the posts out there is the feeling that I've missed multiple generations of 40k FOC changes (yes, I still use FOC because I have no idea about all these new battleforged and cad terms..).  With every thread I read I seem to feel so out of touch that I wouldn't have a clue where to resurrect my 40k stuff into organised potential!

Keep saying to yourself "It's just a bigger terminator" who knows it may help:wink: 

YITHI finished base coating ten cataphracti:biggrin.:

TITHI learned that forgeworld are now doing legion cataphracti pads:furious: (6 so far) 

The dilemma to finish the base coated ones and fiddle with transfers or wait for my number (XIII) to come up in the fullness of time:cool.:

TITH i played my first games of Epic (mingeddon) against a live target.

it was bloody brilliant and i can't believe there is so little ongoing love for this concise gem of a game !!

lost the first game on objectives at turn 4 vs another SM army and took a bit of a pounding from their warhound and overextending (things to work on).
won the second against a dark eldar force through casualties and follwing up on objectives (non-sm opposition was an educational experience).

Greetings

Today I started painting another extra-armoured Damocles (this time converted from a Hunter). Building it has been quite pleasing.

• Why in the Wide Wide World of Sports do I want to paint that Captain?

Presumably because you want to give him a Shield Eternal and use him to smash demon princes, monstrous creatures, etc.

That's what I did with mine (after giving him a few other interesting bits) and now Hammerman, as he is known, is roundly hated in my local gaming group (which conveniently forgets the fact that their flying circuses used to batter my poor marines viciously until I made him the solution).

TITHI went to Salute, bought a Kytan and hung out with Chaeron, who is as awesome in real life as he is on the internet.

Dragonlover

Same back at you champ! Had a fantastic day at Salute, was relatively restrained and do have a nice new lot of foam in a case! Got my Red Books too...

TITH, I set myself a challenge: take the contents of the Anvil Industry order that just arrived - 30 Crowmantian Militia, 15 Cultist Praying, and 4 sets of Unity Council Marine Pistols - and, before the weekend is out, have 15 'fully' painted Inquisitorial Henchmen Warbands (2 Acolytes, 1 Psyker each) ready for a wahoo psychic phase shenanigans army.

The plan:

• red primer on bodies, black primer on 'bolter arms'
  • brown or charcoal armor
  • blue robes (psykers)
  • one-coat fleshtone on faces
  • little bit of gold trim
  • Army Painter Strong Tone Quickshade
  • flat/matte clear coat

Clock is ticking and primer is drying...

TITHI  I was disappointed to find out the 30th anniversary Imperial Space Marine figure had already sold out in my local GW shop :sad.:.

But when I got home I found out it was still available on the GW webstore and ordered one :biggrin.:.

Then surfing the site I saw that the Imperial/Crimson Fist Tank Pack accessory set was no longer available :sad.:.

Which has lead me to go searching on a well know online auction site and paying x3 the price that GW was selling this set for (  :ohmy.: ) just so that I could have

them on stand by for unspecified  possible future Fist vehicle projects as yet to be determined :ermm:.​

Beginning to think I am just the teensiest bit obsessive ​ :drool:.

​

Tith i am Feeling frustrated with Gw and their new releases...

Deathwatch game

Knight vs renegade knight

Sm:aod

Csm:bl

Csm:cs

All things I want and they are coming out so fast I can't afford any of them...

And I still have a truly long list of things ive been wanting... black templar, ig, tranids, chaos stuff etc...

On the plus side luckily I've put off getting any of the campaign books type stuff and the 2 chaos supliments have been glaring at me it the local store so I'm glad I didn't get them yet...

And I've been contemplating a knight, do a nearly 2 for 1 deal is pleasant...

Yay procrastination

TDITH I dipped into my primed Nurgling box and used up the last loose Nurgling. He will be taking a ride on a helbrute roller coaster. I don't think the clusters will survive my clippers to make a full unit.

TITHI buckled like a belt and ordered the 30th Anniversary mini on a whim. I had no idea it was in such short supply, to be honest. Now I feel lucky to have gotten one.

In related news, looking for old Mentor Legion fluff... :)

Edited by JeffTibbetts

TITH, I set myself a challenge: take the contents of the Anvil Industry order that just arrived - 30 Crowmantian Militia, 15 Cultist Praying, and 4 sets of Unity Council Marine Pistols - and, before the weekend is out, have 15 'fully' painted Inquisitorial Henchmen Warbands (2 Acolytes, 1 Psyker each) ready for a wahoo psychic phase shenanigans army.

<snip>

Clock is ticking and primer is drying...

Okay, like Apollo 13, I'm gonna chalk this one up as a successful failure. Things I learned from this one that I need to account for next time I give myself a challenge:

• Unlike GW, when most companies tell you it's 28mm scale, it's gonna be scaled to a 28mm human, not a 28mm caricature of an overly muscle bound humanoid (painting normal scale guns when you're used to Space Marine bolters - SHEESH!)
  • You're 46, Carlson. Yes, you have enough time to get XYZ painted, but account for the fact you're going to lose 15-30 minutes each hour getting up and loosening up your stiff shoulders/numb fingers.
  • When scheduling a 36-hour painting session, do remember to account for the 4-6 hours your going to lose from your previously scheduled date night with the fiancé, the 8+ hours of sleep, the hour or two for meals and shower, and the laundry you've left sitting in the basement for the better part of the week.

All that aside, I managed to get the psykers ready for Quickshade and 'basing' (just a coat of Martian Ironearth), about half the Acolyte guns painted, and the Acolytes about half done.

...probably won't touch any of 'em for another week, as tomorrow starts my week with my son.