Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

Today in the hobby I removed all the clothes I didn't use anymore from my wardrobe and thus gained roughly three shelves's worth of space for my models. Looks like I'll be able to store my macharius vulcan somewhere after all.

Are you taking the clothes to a charity shop?

TITHI cracked open the Khorne Bloodbound Slaughterpriest model. I'm haphazardly starting a (bunch of) Inquisimunda warband(s). I've got Orlocks for a crime syndicate and Redemptionists as well, Redemptionists, and some of the GS Cult from Overkill. Not to mention I'm slowly picking up new models to build up inquisitorial warbands, like some of the AoS 'Nighthaunts' for spooky daemonhosts. Some lovely pieces in the Skitarii box I picked up, hopefully I can make an Explorator Magos with it, and then I need to actually start getting to grips with the Scions-cum-Inquisition kill-squad box.

Also came to the realisation I'm a weathervane hobbyist since I'm bouncing between planning this, armylisting my Tau before I build them and trying to work up the patience to finish building the Deathwatch Overkill box. Hobbyists Anonymous, anyone? :P

TITH...I discovered that even with MicroSet & MicroSol, I still suck at applying decals. Main problem appears to be a shortage of hands...two just aren't enough to hold model, decal and a brush all at the same time. Decals also seem to stubbornly refuse to deploy exactly where I want them, and moving them around with the brush inevitably results in a shredded decal and foul language. So until Mechadentrites are invented and are commonly available for home use, I will be continuing to work on my freehand painting skills :smile.:

Today I attended a memorial service for a family friend, but more pertinently to the hobby I was able to pick up some more Teclis Blue, an essential paint for several of my armies including the Night Lords I've vowed for E Tenebrae Lux.

TITH I cleaned my airbrush. The old girl wasn't nearly as filthy as when I was pushing thinned down citadel paints through her. God bless FW air range :smile.:

TITH as well: put together my Knight Crusader, and started glueing my Paladin. If these kits had possible legs, they'd easily be my favorite plastics of all time!

Edited by Aquilanus
corrected bbcode :)

TITH...I discovered that even with MicroSet & MicroSol, I still suck at applying decals. Main problem appears to be a shortage of hands...two just aren't enough to hold model, decal and a brush all at the same time. Decals also seem to stubbornly refuse to deploy exactly where I want them, and moving them around with the brush inevitably results in a shredded decal and foul language. So until Mechadentrites are invented and are commonly available for home use, I will be continuing to work on my freehand painting skills :smile.:

You might be letting them soak too long? Test the decal constantly and grab it as soon as it slips from the backing. Don't prep the next one if you think it might take some fiddling. There's still some adhesive on the glue, but if you let it soak too long that will be gone. If you grab it right away you should have plenty of working time to get it moved into the right place. Make sure you use a brush that's not too stiff to move it around, and don't be afraid to flood the area so it 'floats' a bit. 

Today I attended a memorial service for a family friend, but more pertinently to the hobby I was able to pick up some more Teclis Blue, an essential paint for several of my armies including the Night Lords I've vowed for E Tenebrae Lux.

Sorry for your loss, bud. 

Today in the hobby, my lack of anything approaching even the barest talent with the application and manipulation of greenstuff completely Exterminatus'd any enthusiasm I had for my ETL vow...

... right up until a lucky accident got me more less exactly the results I wanted. :laugh.:

Unless, of course, that was the Emperor's will working in mysterious ways. :ermm:

Either way, I'm back on the ETL hype train! :biggrin.:

EDIT:

And now, hours later, the second part of my Greenstuff plan has gone flawlessly. :blink.:

Suddenly I find myself giving the 'Will of the Emperor' theory a lot more credence! :laugh.:

Edited by Ace Debonair

TITH, I realized that I've gotta pause my ETL painting so I can finish up the models I'm going to be using at table this weekend.

EDIT:

Also TITH, I wasted 3 hours in traffic after work in a near-futile attempt to find enough Kataphrons to round out my list for this weekend. Sheesh! Last week, couldn't find a shop in town that didn't have at least one dust covered box of 'em; this week, one box between four shops! Yeah, I know: shoulda called ahead and saved some driving, but a couple of these shops I haven't visited enough to save their numbers yet, and one I normally avoid. 
(Note to self: I think I might be facing off against someone else's Kataphrons Saturday...)

Edited by Carlson793

Today in the Hobby I... finally finished reclaiming my studio and painting area from the influences of disorganization and clutter. I took a few weeks to start some work on a few summer hobby projects and that just pushed the space to a completely unacceptable state. Before I can even consider my next step, this had to change.

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/2016%20WIP%20Photos/Dark_Works_Studio_01.jpg

Before: A year of college always leaves my work space a dysfunctional mess; the workload leaves little time to clean up the clutter created by earlier projects, so things get stored in ever more creative ways. When it gets like this if you're not careful you can actual trip and accidentally find a portal to Narnia, I swear. Not exactly conducive to the creative process.

After: Several days of sorting and reorganization rewards me with a space that I can actually be productive in; while still quite full and a little manic the space now has many more useful working surfaces, a better flow with more space, and considerably more storage thanks to new shelves that can't be seen in the photo. It's no hobbit hole but it's cozy and now I can get down to actually getting productive. I'm particularly happy with the new and improved painting area I've managed to squeeze under the stairs...

http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j332/SubtleDiscord/2016%20WIP%20Photos/Dark_Works_Studio_02.jpg

All outside distractions be gone; how to make a nearly useless space actually useful, cram a painting area into it! Lots of cool white light from multiple directions, several surfaces with the main painting area raised up to eye level, and tons of storage for the ever-growing supply of paints, brushes, additives, and other tools-of-the-trade that I want on hand while I'm painting. It's an old tank of an office desk that I saved from the garbage years ago that I use for the base; it's a little rough around the edges and has a horrible wood veneer but it's just so heavy and solid, they just don't make them like this any more.

Next up, now to actually do something with all of this new found space and organization, and ultimately drive it back down the path towards mess and dysfunction. How the wheels forever turn and turn and turn. Oh well, I can't help but play my part. *Subtle wanders off to find some sleep before starting something new*

YETHI - completed my ETL V vow and rebased 15 of my Space Marines for a tourney. 

I also found out that my PVA Glue had gone bad and was vexed about the flocking until I remembered that you can flock on to wet paint for the same effect.:biggrin.: