Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

Greetings

Yesterday and today I did some work on some toys I picked up at the weekend - including one of the original metal Mk VIII guys, who will soon have a shotgun and a combi-melta, for that 8-fire mode nonsense. Unfortunately he has a seriously small head. It's so tiny!

However, the majority of the infantry I acquired were rather pointier-eared - including some fairly lovely metal incubi. There will be much murderous chopping...

TITH I have decided to restart my Flesh Tearers army idea. You see, I made a Captain about a year or so ago and never did anything with him. I recently found him and thought it'd be fun to paint him up for the From Rage to Salvation challenge. He's just kitbashed but I really like him for some reason. Maybe it's the air of simplistic rage and holy hate he radiates - I don't know.

Today in the hobby, I had to e-mail FW on my order for my Volkites and Word Bearers upgrade that never showed up. Thankfully another set is on its way....Just seems odd that my WB items got lost in the mail, and not my Ultramarines shoulder pads...I think my Ultras are trying to dissuade me from working on my Word Bearers. :laugh.:

TITHI Played an 1850 game against a tyranid tourney practice list with seven fmc (2 flyrants the rest were harpies and crones), a malanthrope, a zoanthrope, a biovore, a mawloc and three re spawning gargoyle broods

I had a demi company (three 10 man tacs + 3mm, 1 melta and 2 flamers, ten man assault squad with 2 flamers and the (frantically built and painted the night before) jump pack chaplain attached and a ten man dev squad + 4 hb) with three L' R' Redeemers as my auxiliary choice (I was expecting to be fighting orkses) we played a modified (some maelstrom and killpoints added) relic mission.

End of the game I had seven guys ( 3 tacs, 3 devs and the chaplain) and a l' r' redeemer left, My chaplain had his warlord locked in h2h (both down to one wound apiece), one tac marine was holding the relic (worth a mighty 6 points) against the malanthrope with a mawloc and the biovore spectating, In order to pull out a win i just had to kill off seven or eight ob sec gargoyles to get three of them out of range of the relic

Of course the three of them in range of the relic lived :wallbash: end result 7 to 10 in favour of the nids, Not too bad considering it was a really nasty tourney list versus a friendly list meant for burninating orkses

And the factory fresh chaplain failed to succumb to nms:biggrin.: moral victory lol

YITHI recieved my "The Dark Works" (Plasma) Shield Generator by our frater Subtle Discord! (Only after fighting with the post office)

Mighty fine piece of work, well packed, easy instructions for both assembly and the lamp and a thank you letter. Very professional, even better than I expected. Can only recommend him!

TITHI am plagued by another 15 hour work day. So not much I can get done, except for planning.

Considering a WIP Thread to keep me motivated and share ideas. And it's the only way I can bring scenery pieces, single characters, more Space Wolves and maybe a Battle shoal of Carcharodons under one roof.

...other thought:

Build a fully magnetized Company - that way I'll be able to play whatever 8th Edition will bring as the new optimal standard for C:SM.

If I go with grey (a la Carcharodons), they can pose as Space Wolves reinforcements/allies aswell.

Anyone ever tried something like that? Is it viable?

Hi

Acquired another of the old 108-model cases, which is going to be used for transporting things to games (it's pretty rare that I need to take more than 108 infantry models!).

Also built a couple more Deathwatch-esque men, one based on the metal Mk VIII armour, and another older metal man, both with combi-meltas.

Upgraded the notorious Hammerman with a much more grandiose Inquisitorial storm shield.

Edited by Brother Sefiel

TITHI I finished the Shield Generator I got from Subtle Discord!

People buy one!

Everything fits, the assembly guide and advice is so handy and thought through, the design is ingenious!

NEVER did I assemble something so easy and straightforward.

(The only thing resisting to fit was the original GW one)

...and the moment I turned it on, I started laughing maniacally.

I will supply pictures as soon as I get to a proper PC again.

Now I want more moving/interacting/active terrain pieces. ...how small can smoke machines be!?

I will supply pictures as soon as I get to a proper PC again.

Now I want more moving/interacting/active terrain pieces. ...how small can smoke machines be!?

Pretty small... but probably not small enough.

Anyways, last night in the hobby I finished painting my Iron Warriors Warsmith. Mostly. Still got the base to do. Today in the hobby, after class, I swung by the college bookstore and impulse bought a couple Micron pens and a sketchbook. Gonna try to use them for the hobby mostly.

Thanks so much RikuEru for the kind words and feedback. I'm very happy that you're pleased with the Shield Generator and it meets with your expectations. I tried to make the instructions in-depth enough to take any guess work out of the order of assembly, but I was worried they might be a bit complex. Glad to hear they were genuinely helpful. :smile.: I've noticed someone describing the Shield Generator model as looking like a dooms-day device, which I think is just wonderful!

Careful now, or you'll let all of my secrets out of the bag! Bah, it's fine! *Subtle opens the bag* You see, along with other 'normal' models, my plan is to do exactly what you say, make all sorts of active and interactive terrain pieces. The smoke generator shown is not what you use; there are small scale ones used my scale modelers and railway modelers to make cannon barrels 'shoot' and puff smoke, and smokestacks on HO scale trains belch smoke as they run; I want to make industrial, alien, and demonic terrain that does the same thing, either automatically, or by the push of a camouflaged button. So, as the game progresses the terrain can add to the atmosphere of the match.

There's also a floating Eldar jet-bike and tank that I've seen, and I think the concept could work well to make very cool 'other world' terrain. Strange floating Chaos shrines? Arcane technology thought long lost? Elegant suspended alien gardens/fountains? And this is just what comes to mind off the top of my head. 

And naturally, LED lighting is a game changer, letting me explore putting lights into all sorts of ideas; I have one particular idea to have city fighting terrain that has actively glowing fire and smoldering embers in all of the ruined buildings, all lit by flickering and pulsing orange, yellow, and red LEDs. Combined with carefully placed smoke generators and a streetlights lit with LEDs, I think the effect will be astounding. My plan for this idea is to do a proof-of-concept with my personal table, document it for fun while I work out any production kinks, all with the idea of turning it into a line for my studio. I'm not sure the timeline, but I suspect it might start in late 2017. After that, I want to use the same products and techniques do something very alien, for an interesting challenge; lava world on LSD anyone? Yes please! 

The Shield Generator, like many of the other kits, is partly a test model to work out any production issues I may have doing larger building and terrain sized parts. Your positive feedback tells me that I have succeeded in doing it well. Thank you!

TITH I painted on my "test" model again. The test was to see if I had the right ratio of paints to make a deep crimson. The ratio was correct and I decided to complete the model because he'll be the first finished member of a 5 man squad for my Ecclesiarchical force.

I do have to say that, as the seasons change, I find myself being able to paint less and less. Part of this is due to physical issues but I feel that the drive is leaving me. Maybe if I kickstart it into gear - you know, give it some more juice - it'll stay for a little while longer.

Greetings

Over the past few days I've reorganised my Deathwatch into themed kill-teams - one with plasma, one with melta, one with flamers, one with stalkers, one close combat and one generalists. This involved more than a few limb removals, but just about all of the gents are now restored to fighting condition!

I can now do any number of stupid combos, including a ludicrous 9 heavy flamer special.

Last night I played two 1250 point anything goes games against chaos, beating them both handily, thanks to the redoubtable Hammerman and some friends from the Deathwatch terminator cadre.

I was particularly gratified to destroy the knight that was the main feature of the second game, because I suspected that this was what our host had planned when he said there were no restrictions. In response I created a force specifically to be able to do some serious anti-vehicle hate (although I'd resisted the temptation to field four Land Raiders because I didn't want to punish anyone else for it). As someone who despises superheavies I was pretty appalled to see that (plus a Land Raider) in such a small game.

It was quite helpful that he advanced into assault cannon range in his first turn; I dropped a pod behind him and meltad the back of the thing, but only managed two hull points. The rest of my army (command tanks and three two-man squads of terminators - four assault cannon and two cyclones) also attacked it, and the remainder managed to take 3 more hull points after shield saves. Quite frustrating!

Somehow he managed not to kill any of my units in his first turn, and I was especially pleased that the knight didn't make it into close combat (although it did slaughter 4 members of Hammerman's command squad with its 12-shot stupid gun). The cyclones finished it in turn two, and I proceeded to crush him; he gave up when the terminators he charged with his last infantry unit (having just shot Khârn to death with their ACs) didn't die to his berzerkers.

Edited by Brother Sefiel