Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

YITHI - went to West Edmonton Mall wearing my B&C baseball shirt. I went in to GW and bought a copy of White Dwarf, Voice of Mars, Carcharodons The Outer Darkness and the Primaris novel / short stories.

A little belated, but I painted my 1st Primaris Marine. Was the free one my local Warhammer Store gave me, was testing Deathwatch scheme:

gallery_57329_13636_318185.jpg

Brushed metal effect to make the black more interesting. Used Tamiya Grey Metal, "inked" down a half tone with Tamiya Black :)

TITH...found someone who was doing a sidewalk sale and had a huge box of 40k stuff with a price tag that confused me. 

Me: "Is that price for the whole box?"

Duder: "Yup" ::sips Miller Lite::

Me: "Were these yours?"
Duder: "Nah, got'em from a storage locker sale! You know what they are? There's a weird one with a naked lady chained to a robot... ::looks at me a little warily::

Me: "Yeah I know what they are, stuff is pretty worthless, lucky for you I'm a madman willing pay what you're asking. Here ya go!" ::pays the asking price and runs off the down the street laughing manically::

Right place. Right time.

@TheOneTrueZon, loved the dialogue. Thanks for the laugh and congrats on a good deal!

TITH I made more progress on my ETL vow. Finished the Legion Recon squad, except for the basing. Tomorrow I start on the cataphractii. Will do all the basing at the same time so I don't get flock and stuff around the paint. I tend to get messy with basing materials.

TITHI sprayed the Riptide I'm working on Khorne Red and given it a panel wash. Since I don't have a reference photo of a Riptide in Farsight Enclave livery I will continue with other parts of the model until my 7th edition minidex arrives. Normally I'd just paint it as close as I can without reference, but the model is a gift so I want it to be as accurate as possible.

TITH I received SW Contemptor, standard Contemptor and a few extra bits.

Can't wait to see if I can mix out parts between the Dreads as would like to use the Wolf legs with the standard Dread to dilute some of the bling.

Tith had no desire to paint or put together any  40k  Marines .

Drop and give me 50! The Emperor needs those Marines, Marine!

And TITH I painted some more on cataphractii. Tried a slightly different yellow recipe and had a major fail. Sigh. Time to drop back ten and punt.

TITH I placed my smallest FW order to date.

I picked up a set of the Legion Tank Crew despite not even having plans on armour yet (want to build my army almost as an invasion force so starting with the pods and moving towards heavier lists later). I just couldn't miss them, I love the MkIV chap in particular, apparently his vehicle's arsenal isn't enough.

If the stuff is still round next Friday I'll order a bunch of Seeker and Umbra Ferrox Bolters, MK II command and maybe another set of the crew.

TITH I completed a small greenstuff mold experiment for copying details from one model to another, and was reminded of the fact that blutack and resin don't like to play nice. As soon as the greenstuff finishes curing i will have completed my Necron deathmark lord conversion, so I'm listing that as a win for the day.

TITH I completed my second ever completed mini.  I've been painting most everything in big batches, but my local GW has a cool "competition" to encourage us to get painting, and this is my submission this month.

l4WuutA.jpg

6OKyzlC.jpg

I'm still a novice, but I'm proud of my progress.

Looking sweet there, Frater! Looking forward to seeing more DG from you if you've got a plog going on.

This past week in the hobby, I've been going over the bases of my Iron Warriors again to give them a second coat of Stirland Battlemire, and I am wondering if you're actually supposed to use Stirland Mud before applying the Battlemire. Also experimented with Agrax Earthshade for the first time ever, and looking the worn effect it gives on metal, and painted up a little bit of my Deredeo for the ETL at present, partially because I'm on lates which I detest, and partially because I'm trying to work out how I want it to look.

Looking sweet there, Frater! Looking forward to seeing more DG from you if you've got a plog going on.

Thanks! Yeah, I'm working on more DG. The Dark Imperium box was my intro to the hobby, and I'm working on expanding both my Ultramarines and my Death Guard before moving on from both factions.

TITH (technically last night) i actually put brush to mini for the first time in a long time. Primed, base coated and washed 3 easy build intercessors. At this rate I may actually finish these in a reasonable amount of time.

I've seen it said before but these really are nice/easy to paint with the GW method. Admittedly i've yet to block in other colours or even remotely highlight but i really relished the time to sit down and paint and am looking forward to doing more.

I may have also created a monster - I left the models on our dining room table to let the wash dry so i could take a look this morning and my 9 year old son found them. He is now expressing an interest in 40k...... it's not like he's obsessive (100's pokemon cards, knows all the details) or loves board games....

Just bought first strike for him to look over.

My wife is going to kill me. 

TITH I realized I'm not a fan of painting the first Emperor's Champion model (the one he's two-handing the sword in front of him).  I mean, it's a "neat" model, but to use it as a Raven Guard Champion doesn't really fit the motif.

I dunno.  Either I'm being extra lazy about it or I'm not creative enough. 

At the same time, "Champions" have never really settled well in my head-canon.  I really think that is the one thing that should "belong" to the Black Templars Chapter.  You know, "There can be only one" kinda thing.

/vent OFF

YITHI Finished off the second armiger knight, last of the sisters of silence (5 swords and 5 flamers) and did some more work on my thirty skitari

TITHI Am being forced to tackle my study, got to box up everything as the damn roof has sprung a minor leak:wallbash:

and some time in October I'll be attending my first tournament, planning on taking my pure custodes list with only six bikes in it :ohmy.:

Edited by treadhead

I impulsively ordered the FW Mk II Command set because it's so awesome, two more sets of Seeker Bolters for when my Company grows to much bigger proportions and another set of the tank crew, mainly for the viewfinder for a Vigilator conversion.

Now I'm worried they're gonna send more stuff up for LCTB that I want today...