Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

TITH I got my forgeworld order in near record time (something like 40 hours), so just getting everything prepped up for ETL with some new Alpha transfers just sitting there waaaaiting for me to do stuff.  Now I gotta do a few test pieces to figure out if I want bright aqua or tamiya clear blue/green.  Also prepped some Blood Angel Primaris models and waffling at the imperial half of the shadow box. 

But for now, I'm off to the good ol' city for the first meeting of a 30K escalation league.  Peace out and may your brushes never fray!  'Caus, y'know, that kinda sucks. 

Edited by Vykes

The first batch of bases have arrived. I feel like I should be able to have them painted in the next week or so.

G0ZTD4i.jpg

I am a little excited to be making progress. I need to double check my paints to make sure I'm not missing any of the ones I need for the basing.

TITH I got depressed after not knowing secret weapon exists after ordering bases from GW.
I discovered them a couple years ago while looking for cool resin bases. They do some neat stuff, but it ain't cheap (some of the bigger ones go for $20 USD each).

TITH I got the paints I needed to paint my Daemonettes, and I'll be picking up an Infernal Enchantress this week as well. Saturday is going to be a bit of a shopping spree for the army thanks to ladt week's overtime.

I am already dropping stacks on mini's anyway, a base is something that won't faze me honestly. Saves some time as well. Works out the same probably than getting bits to do my own bases. 

The first batch of bases have arrived. I feel like I should be able to have them painted in the next week or so.

G0ZTD4i.jpg

I am a little excited to be making progress. I need to double check my paints to make sure I'm not missing any of the ones I need for the basing.

TITH I got depressed after not knowing secret weapon exists after ordering bases from GW.
I discovered them a couple years ago while looking for cool resin bases. They do some neat stuff, but it ain't cheap (some of the bigger ones go for $20 USD each).

TITH I got the paints I needed to paint my Daemonettes, and I'll be picking up an Infernal Enchantress this week as well. Saturday is going to be a bit of a shopping spree for the army thanks to ladt week's overtime.

I am already dropping stacks on mini's anyway, a base is something that won't faze me honestly. Saves some time as well. Works out the same probably than getting bits to do my own bases.

Basically my thoughts too. Being able to cut down how much time I am spending on the bases while giving them a look that makes them look like a cohesive force. I'll be using the same bases when I start Chaos Knights and (eventually) Emperor's Children and if GW every gets around to them Slaanesh Renegades and Heretics.

The goal is to have a massive Slaanesh force for Apoc as well as mixing and matching different armies for fun.

TITH I continue to paint my Street Judges Kill Team.  Hoping that Deathwatch gets Phobos units eventually, because they have more suitable bodies than regular power armor.

TiTH I managed to get a game in with the newer-ish maelstrom missions (Visions of Victory). It was a pretty fun match though I got some real luck of the draw at the end.

Contemptor Gorros kinda, maybe, ate them all.

gallery_107230_14721_5062.jpg

Fulkes, that looks grisly and disgusting... I love it, need it, gotta figure out something to do with it.

Post Scriptum: And I ended up taking a few meh but still there shots of my army, man can't wait for summer lighting and good conditions.

gallery_107230_14721_111055.jpg

Edited by Vykes

TiTH I managed to get a game in with the newer-ish maelstrom missions (Visions of Victory). It was a pretty fun match though I got some real luck of the draw at the end.

Contemptor Gorros kinda, maybe, ate them all.

gallery_107230_14721_5062.jpg

Fulkes, that looks grisly and disgusting... I love it, need it, gotta figure out something to do with it.

So basically I painted the entire model brown, then washed Carroburg Crimson to push the contrast of the recesses a bit. Then I started with thick striations of anlighter brown and then worked may up through the skin tones to finally give thr model some small highlights of Pallid Wych Flesh where I felt needed the most definition. The connective tissue of the abs and cartlidge was done in the second lightest color then Wych Flesh as well with the abs being blocked out patches of the mid tone color. Everything got a thinned glaze of Blood for the Blood God (I was somewhere around a 1:1, but going thinner might let the striations stand out more) and then I picked out the skull and knee caps with bone (I used two layers to help build the color up).

Now you could skip the striations and get a reasonably grisly looking model for a table top quality, but I feel the extra effort helps give it more detail at a closer range making it look more like a fleshly flayed "volunteer" up close.

Man, I do think the corded muscle striations totally sells it in that uncomfortable, "I was just at the Body World exhibit" way.  I'm surprised but happily so, that the carroburg didn't wash out the highlights too much with the blood for the blood god (I haven't tried that technical yet, no idea about its consistency and flow).  It' a great effect my dude, definitely gets that look across like a wrestler with a crimson mask.  

Hmmm... may have to try some Night Lords just for the experience of trying something similar. 

Seriously rockin :) 

Man, I do think the corded muscle striations totally sells it in that uncomfortable, "I was just at the Body World exhibit" way. I'm surprised but happily so, that the carroburg didn't wash out the highlights too much with the blood for the blood god (I haven't tried that technical yet, no idea about its consistency and flow). It' a great effect my dude, definitely gets that look across like a wrestler with a crimson mask.

Hmmm... may have to try some Night Lords just for the experience of trying something similar.

Seriously rockin :)

My pot of Blood was pretty thick but that could be its age. The paint tends to seperate overtime due to the gloss in it so requires a fair bit of shaking.

I may play with the whole thing more with future models because a unit of something like flayed Slaanesh Cultists running around the board sounds awesome.

Edited by Fulkes

TITH I finished building three Fallen that were started yesterday, and built four more. The first squad of ten would be complete now, if I hadn't decided to cut off the arm of one model (it lloked odd, and I could not leave it). The damage has to be sculpted over tomorrow...

TiTHI finally got round to undercoating my ETL models, a squad of Secutarii Hoplites. They are so fiddly I'm not sure how I am going to tackle them. I'll be keeping the shields off for certain. I hope my glue is going to be up to the task or these models will be a pain in the rear.

Well, today in the hobby and in the world of 30K, my opponent forced an end of turn 1 concession out of me*.  Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go drink enough whiskey to float a battleship or drown a knight.  Which is, coincidentally, what I was fighting. Knight armies suck the fun out of 30K so hard it's practically an obscenity. 

On a constructive note, building wyches. 

*First time in 23 years. 

Edited by Vykes

Sorry to hear about that Vykes, it's no fun when a game ends that abruptly. I'll raise my whiskey to you tonight.

TITH I got my contemptor legs and base finished and got them glued together. I'll work on the torso next so at the bare minimum I can proxy it with no arms if I want.

Brotherh Baron Sebas - I did see your request for a DIY tutorial on my bases. Next time I make a batch I'll take pictures and put a post up in The Forge and let you know. The short version is a clay-like medium and a roller from Green Stuff World.

3ejwyXQh.jpg

Thanks dude, it was rough (not being able to kill 1 knight despite the concentrated firepower of 10 shot range melta guns, 3 graviton rapiers, a deredeo, and a vindicator laser destroyer, then losing them ALL to return fire). Glasses up that your contemptor fares better than my poor dreadnought

It's looking right good, too.  Nice stepped look for that base, gets the most out of the pose. Lookin' good. Gonna be seeing it double soon, all the better. 

Thanks. I lack a lot of AT in my list so I've got a pair of las cannons and auto cannons for him that will go on, las being first. I'll run it as a Mortis for 40k, and I'm also going to paint up the options for the GW version so I can run him in the Calth boxed game.

It's a legitimately good combination, dude.  (And yeah, building for the Calth game is what I did too.  Surprisingly fun game there, surprised how few people played it.  Kind of a shame.)  I'll admit to having a thing for chainfists and respect the monk-dreads quite a bit.  The twin las versionis something I've been waiting for chaos to get in 40K (it was left off the weapons list until recently enough), so glad we finally all got it. 

Time to bring the creepy vibes with an update to my Infernal Enrapturess while her hair dries before I start trying to paint strands of hair into her braid (basically going to use the same method of painting strations I did for the harp only in pink and and with less blood). First up is the updated harp:

1MQ4sLq.jpg

hqI1fj2.jpg

Then we have the Enrapturess herself (best cloth I've painted in a while and I ultimately decided to drop the plans for pink highlights as the rich purple works great as a balance to the brighter pink up top as well as works great with the gold):

uDttu5b.jpg

Today in the hobby, I picked up Kill Team: Elites, the Fractal Blades box and a box of Rubric Marines.

I don't generally play Chaos in anything, but I like the Ancient Egyptian influences and Tzeentch is pretty cool.

Now I need to see where I can find a single Tzaangor with an autopistol and chainsword, ideally in the States.  A five-man Rubric team winds up with 9 points to spare, so it would be pointless not to squeeze one in.

TITH I picked up a Starting Collecting Slaanesh Daemons box, an Exalted Seeker Chariot (to make two Hellflayers and a Herald out of), and a box of Fiends (as well as a can of Boltgun spray to speed up painting said chariots). So model building now and more painting later.

Edited by Fulkes