Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

TITH I finished the Whirlwind - I hadn't quite appreciated how small it was in comparison to a Repulsor - I know it's Rhino chassis vs ~Land Raider, but I guess I'd forgotten about the flying stand adding some more height. I'm really pleased with it though, and will probably do some more of the older tracked vehicles next year once I finish my second Repulsor (which will mark 100 models painted since getting back into the hobby).

504IJUX.jpg?1

More progress on the backpack.

DZyogJL.jpg

4qBC5kf.jpg

Honestly the best work I've done to date, no exaggeration. Makes me happy that I'm actually making progress with my hobby stuff.

Your gradients on the white are really well done. Is that brush or airbrush?
Thanks! I am rather happy with the effect (though I expect to start nitpicking my own faults at any time), aince ot gives the wings something more than the flat white color we normally see.

No airbrush for me (the compressor would annoy my neighbors). I used Ferensian Grey, Blue Horror, Ulthuan Grey, and White Scar as my colors with a blend of the two colors between each color transition. This was all followed by a very thin glaze of Ulthuan Grey which smoothed the color a bit more and then some edge highlighting with White Scar.

If I was going to do this again, I would have probably used a stronger white from another range since White Scar is a fairly weak paint coverage wise.

Edited by Fulkes

That's a really smooth transition having been brushed on. Very impressive!

Thin layers with mixes between the main colors and a glaze go anlong way to smootging things out I've found.

Heck, I only use 3 pots of paint to do my gold now, but I create mixes between the colors to create smoother transitions.

Yesterday in the hobby I went back to my local gaming club and had an intro game of Necromunda. Loved it made a change from the usual kill team. I played as GSC against Palanite Enforcers and Orlocks.

today in the hobby I ordered a new airbrush and picked up a copy of Blackstone Fortress. 

Today in the hobby, I got the offer to become an admit of the local 30K group (which is odd) but also did finish up about 95% of another 20-strong voidclade section, and did up most of the body work on my Land Raider mk IIb...

gallery_107230_14721_50362.jpg

And, no joke, for the 5th time in my life PUT THE RAMP MECHANISM IN BACKWARDS AGAIN! 5/5, I am at 100% failure rate with these things!!!

Now if you'll excuse me, I gotta grind some tracks flat to make them look more 'heresy' esque. Least the void-clades only need some discs for their Horusian marks, and their standard to go.

gallery_107230_14721_25983.jpg

Making progress again.

cVLid3R.jpg

Went out of town for a week and then my net went out for a few days was like what the hell! But I was looking forward to seeing how much more work you got done on this thing! Looks great so far!!
Bad news: I re-primed him today because I've been learning anlot about like I want to incorporate into the minature. Who the things about NMM I've learned he should end up even better the next time.

TITH I built a GSC Acolyte Iconward. First bit of building done for over 6 months

Also built 3 GSC Aberants for use in kill team and for necromunda. 

I’ll begin painting after Christmas sometime when I get a new workstation set up. 

Edited by Fr33Dom

I bring Celestine, and some lessons I learned while working on the model:
ubeQcKJ.jpg 

QsvKW7s.jpg
And here's a quick 10 things I learned working on this model:
1. I need to plan my bases out before I glue everything down. In the end I hit a roadblock of not being sure of what to do with the base other than adding some texture that I can wash and drybrush.
2. The white cloth should go more cream in the folds to reflect being in daylight (giving the cloth a warmer yellow based tone which would balance with the purple), while the red should darken towards purple in the folds since it is heavily in shadows.
3. I didn't know how to make it look like her head was projecting a halo of light (still working on that)
4. The dark purple I'd originally picked for the corset doesn't work since it doesn't stand out against the armour.
5. I should have painted the birds separate from her robes. I also should have referenced actual doves to get a better feel for their colors (I could have used said colors on the blade of the sword for better visual balance as well).
6. I should have used a reference for the flowers as well.
7. The steel NMM for the backpack exhausts could have been smoother and likely needs more color depth.
8. I didn't account for shadows properly on the ribbons and my freehand needs improving.
9. I just realized as I'm writing this I forgot to paint the gem on her shoulder pad. That would have been a good spot color location.
10. Painting her face separately from her head would have made it easier to paint both eyes instead of just one.

Ooh, I didn't realize Daemon Prince Celestine was basically just a Sister with wings. Very interesting.

They took inspiration of her original artwork plus all the conversions people did with the original model. It's a great model, I'm just not 100% happy with how it all came out in the end.

Ooh, I didn't realize Daemon Prince Celestine was basically just a Sister with wings. Very interesting.

They took inspiration of her original artwork plus all the conversions people did with the original model. It's a great model, I'm just not 100% happy with how it all came out in the end.

I was expecting a comment on the "Daemon Prince Celestine" quip. :biggrin.:

I was expecting a comment on the "Daemon Prince Celestine" quip. :biggrin.:
Gatheting Storm basically confirmed it and I'm okay with it.

Plus I've seen daemon winged conversion so it's a common thing I can live with.