Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

Why do you varnish before you weather?

Decals are going on next and I want a smooth surface to help with application. Then I'll weather and wash so that the decals weather with the model and it looks more cohesive. Then the matte varnish will go on to seal everything up.

I've seen some beautifully weathered models with decals applied on top and it looks off. The one that stands out was this amazing breacher shield. It looked so good but then a decal was applied over all of the weathering and it was very jarring to look at.

Free-handed stuff is the same way (although maybe not varnishing first), you want to get any free-handing done before you start shading, weathering, and highlighting a model, that way it will shade and be worn in a way cohesive with the rest of the model, rather than standing out like it was only painted onto the material recently (unless that's specifically the effect you are going for).

Thanks.

I get that you want the decals on before weathering (I was having a similar conversation with RogueChaplain yesterday) - it was the varnishing that puzzled me. I hadn't realised that you'd use it to create a smooth layer to work on, and would then varnish again later.

I'm not really a transfers person, but always good to pick up tips.

TITH, I did this.

IMG_20200331_023021835.jpg

It's a homebrew Battlewagon made in preparation for Prophecy of the Wolf. It's made from a cheap Transformer knockoff, a Scatter Laser, an Icarus Autocannon, some granny grating, the gun off of a cheap mech action figure from Cracker Barrel, the fuel tank off of a First Order flamethrower, and - once I get the box set - a Grot Oiler for a Rigger. It's gonna be run with a Killkannon, four Big Shootas, an 'Ard Case and a Grot Rigger. Thoughts on scaling?

Seems like the profile is a tad small but not so small that it would be 'game breaking'. I do think it's a bit short for a battlewagon. Can the turret detach? I think it would be propa orkzy to raise the turret up on platform or pole of some type to give you a height similar to battlewagons. I also think it's too non-40k to properly blend in and 'fit' on the table. It needs more bits and scrap and armor to give it that orky vibe.

TITHI...

am stuck away from all my stuff at the moment so i did some forum WIP maintenance and added all my WIP/PLOGS to my signature to hopefully get myself better organized and motivated to work on them all and also maybe stop myself from starting any new projects... (SoB look so good and i figured out how to run power armoured humans with bolters using the militia list for horus heresy but a 3k list would be so many SOB AAHHHH!)

TITHI Just got back from hospital (non corona related just diabetes, so nobody panic and quarantine the topic) was in for 2 days, and firstly want to send a shout out to health workers and support staff (including their spouses) for coping with nurgles foulest ague so far

Second after 2 days off, i plan to take another day off and spend it with family from a safe distance then it's back to the man cave and more grey knight heraldry and litanies

Thanks to the joys of being a “key worker” I haven’t actually had any proper time off work yet, although I should be getting some relatively soon.

In preparation for some time off work, I’ve managed to order some more contrast paints in order to finish off the Death Guard and Catachans I’ve got basecoated, and ordered a Furioso Dread for the Blood Angels as well.

Technically the order was placed yesterday, but TITHI got the shipping email from Firestorm Games so it is en route. Roll on the end of April for some time off work

TitH I remembered how bad I am at drilling out barrels (bolters and Melta today) thanks to my dyspraxia.

Fortunately I need to expand the barrel holes in the Meltas anyway (alas I don't have a larger drill bit) but I've got some skewed barrels.

TITH,

I finished the build of Nemesis Dreadknight, fully magnetized with all weapon options.  It is Prime Battlewalker from PUPPETSWAR.  I made a custom flail for the Daemon Greathammer.  The base looks incredible!  I started on some painting, mainly the shoulder shield. I hope it motivates everyone to take advantage of this time to complete some armies/models/backlogs!

20200403 202911

20200403 141326

20200403 153549

20200403 203320

20200403 203335

V/r,

Dan

The last few days I have been working on something as extensively as I neever did before. And the first thing I will actually paint in parts.

TITHI sprqyed all the parts of it - which went absolutely amazingly smooth, look!

4BS1xs6.jpg

Siegfried, Slayer of Lyndwurms, is coming