Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

YITH I did some work on trying to dial in a nice "drowned corpse" skin tone for Nurgle:

s5dXvwX.jpg

And I gave up on the idea of painting Iyanden. I've noticed I tend to stall out when painting projects are based on existing factions, so I went a different direction:

RwAI6rh.jpgThough that's going to get a repaint as I want to go more subdued with the red and add some more depth to the pink and purple by using darker base tones. Otherwise I'm not too unhappy with that rough color test.

TITH I got the first set of bases for my outriders ready to prime:

I'm assuming that is DAS clay with a GSW roller? May I ask how you got the edge so smooth? Mine always come out a bit more "rustic" even using the GSW cookie cutter thing. 

It's actually Sculpy brand clay, cured by baking in the oven. I roll out the clay and use a GSW roller. I then have 'templates' (pieces of paper that are cut to size) and use my hobby knife to cut out the general shape. Into the oven for an hour and after they've cooled I glue them to the bases. After the glue is cured I use a razor blade and run it around the base to trim off the overhand, then a quick sanding and you have what you see there.

TITH I finished the bases for my Aggressors

F0WkoQuh.jpg

TITH I finished my Death Guard from Conquest magazine

gallery_106255_16269_414650.jpeg

Edit - I say finished. The sponson weapons for the Plague Burst Crawler are going to get magnetised. They’re painted, but they’re in the magnetising pile with the Repulsors.

Edited by Sky Potato

TITH I have started blocking in the armour panels on a Castellan Knight and 2 Armigers from the Apocalypse box from last summer. They were assembled at the end of last year and the eco-skeletons painted at the start of lockdown.

Also TITH I have discovered why people hate painting yellow.

TITH I have started blocking in the armour panels on a Castellan Knight and 2 Armigers from the Apocalypse box from last summer. They were assembled at the end of last year and the eco-skeletons painted at the start of lockdown.

If it helps, yellow goes over Wraithbone or Grey Seer like a dream. It also goes over Corax White but that spray can be harser to work with.

TITH I started mkaing my Repulsors and nearly ended up throwing them up against the wall the were so frustrating. Luckily I found a guy called Painting Marine on Youtube who came up with a way to make it so you don't get gaps in the front plates.

I love GW models but hate making Astartes tanks, the same flaws that the Land Raider suffered from have been inherited by it's younger brother. A lot of the kit goes nicely together and is well thought out but those gaps!!! /rant :D

It's not a bad kit but Painting Marine's solution helps tons, so hat off to you sir.

Now for the Grav plates...

If it helps, yellow goes over Wraithbone or Grey Seer like a dream. It also goes over Corax White but that spray can be harser to work with.

It doesn’t help that much - I primed everything in Leadbelcher! Thanks for the heads up though.

It’s looking good so far. Just many MANY coats.

It doesn’t help that much - I primed everything in Leadbelcher! Thanks for the heads up though.

It’s looking good so far. Just many MANY coats.

I recommend doing the armour panels separately from the skeleton in the future. Makes it easier to do the panels that way.

Oh, I am, all the armour is separate. I’m following Duncan’s guide on Warhammer TV, I sprayed the panels separately with Leadbelcher, as Duncan does the trim of the armour first before blocking in the actual armour panel.

So I’ve sprayed Leadbelcher, layered Ironbreaker, shaded Nuln Oil and drybrushed Necron compound before even starting on the yellow.

Going to an intermediate color first, especially beige, can work better for going up to yellow or orange. Beige pigment has stronger coverage and can make the thinner yellow/orange pigment pop more.

Vince Venturella had a video on orange which shows some of its properties, which should be similar to yellow I think.

Been starting to test paint my rubrics, hoping to collect a space wizard force but I am struggling so far. I've the notion to make black and silver in main colour scheme, silver trim and black plates but so far it's coming out as -very- flat. Dry-brushing some off blacks over the black has helped some but I'm not happy. I am starting to consider changing the trim to a more classic gold, or even just the main colour to blue since that's confirmed to work well.

Edited by Torbenos

TITH I went off the deep end...sort of. So I finished my GUO, sans waiting for grass tufts to come in the mail and while I'm building the Nurgle Daemon starter I started thinking about the Necrons in my Indomitus box, and playing with different colors.

That lead me to the idea of giving them a pink glow, which lead to an idea of trying to Synthwave Necrons, which lead to me spending like two hours in Impcat playing with colors:

tDly7dI.jpg

I think I might be somewhere close to the right feeling.