Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

Today in the hobby I remembered how much I missed this forum and being proper active on it, and I realized how much being active and engaged in this community actually kept me active and engaged in the hobby. Emperor damn it, ladies and gents. I think it's time for a comeback tour. Got a backlog the size of the Mississippi to work on, so that's something to chip away at.

TITH I took the day off and painted a lot of blue. 122 marines worth a lot.. plus 3 other characters got primed and zenithal highlighted.

My index finger hurts and I can already feel my skin rebelling after wearing a mask for several hours in the 30 degrees plus. Totally worth it though. 
mcmobrVl.jpg
glAuK4jl.jpg

gadI8Ull.jpg

TITH I sold another figure from the Indomitus box.      That leaves me only the Bladeguard captain to sell.     I kept the outriders, Chaplain, Bladeguard Lt., three Bladeguard veterans,  Assault intercessors and the three Eradicators,       last week sold off the Necrons.    I no longer play but I like to collect and build to add to my UM Army.   :yes: :smile.: :FA:

TITH I made good progress on a test model for a new Flesh Tearers force I'm starting. So much fun to paint this guy. Really motivated to get a whole squad done now!

50220932363_fa0f2a0013_b.jpg

Would you mind sharing what color you used for the base coat as well as the edge highlighting for the red?

Its a gorgeous mini- a full force would be a sight to behold

Would you mind sharing what color you used for the base coat as well as the edge highlighting for the red?

Its a gorgeous mini- a full force would be a sight to behold

Thanks so much man! That's the plan, squad well in progress now.

It's actually the old Forge World paint Gal Vorbak Red. I think GW might have released it now too. Then the highlight is Wazdakka Red but thinned quite a lot so the red still shows through a little. I'm debating whether to finish the highlights with either Squig Orange or Cadian Fleshtone like the old GW guides.

Gal Vorbak is such a nice colour. I stocked up on it when I heard FW were discontinuing it, having no idea it would get rolled into the official Citadel range. Apparently it works really well for Flesh Tearers. Nice work. 

Gal Vorbak is such a nice colour. I stocked up on it when I heard FW were discontinuing it, having no idea it would get rolled into the official Citadel range. Apparently it works really well for Flesh Tearers. Nice work. 

Gal Vorbak is an amazing color, I like it quite a lot. I use it for all my Word Bearers, it gives such a great color to them.

Speaking of which, TITH I finished the last parts of 5 tactical marines for my Word Bearers legion. I finished the eyes, matte varnish on decals and painting the rims of the bases before work, so I'll end up working on something else again this evening.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

Today in the hobby I:

• primed another troupe squad
  • wrapped up my first troupe squad (with lessons learned)
  • completed my first sky weaver

I'm well past my prime painting wise, but I hope to get better as I learn more about this army. Nothing hides from the camera.

Troupe squad:

gallery_2133_16545_82303.jpg

These looks brighter than I expected. I will try to tone future squads down a little. Still wish I could airbrush these models

first sky weaver

gallery_2133_16545_1128495.jpg

another image

gallery_2133_16545_653183.jpg

Edited by The Blood Raven

Today in the hobby I contacted Invision to initiate the server migration and software upgrade for the B&C. We're just dickering over costs and times right now, so we'll let you know more when we have it.

Oh wait, that's not really "in the hobby" is it? It affects all of you, though, so I figured you'd like to know.

Be on the lookout for more information and our annual fund drive (WarriorFish has some stuff you'll be very interested in seeing) Very SoonTM.

For really reals this time, it's happening this year. :cool.:

+EDIT+

It turns out that WarriorFish had already initiated contact, so I was just butting in. :blush.:

Edited by Brother Tyler

TITH I gloss coated by 122 blue marines and stayed up far too late applying decals. Next step recess washes. 

Does glossing first help recess washes?  I have a terrible time with an unsteady hand trying to wash the ever shrinking recesses on these damn models. 

#oldguyproblems

TITH I gloss coated by 122 blue marines and stayed up far too late applying decals. Next step recess washes. 

Does glossing first help recess washes?  I have a terrible time with an unsteady hand trying to wash the ever shrinking recesses on these damn models. 

#oldguyproblems

It certainly does. Some gloss varnishes are better for it than others, but it general they will reduce the surface tension on the model and the wash will flow easier into the recesses. I'd recommend looking at some of the enamel panel liners too (Tamiya is my favourite, but AK, MIG and various others sell it too). You touch the panel liner to a corner of another point and it just flows around into the recess. It's magical the first time you do it! Plus you can clean it up with a bit of thinner.

Started work on Sister Tariana Palos who came in the mail yesterday. Wanted a dark red with a bit of a shine to it. Still need to do the red for the backpack to finish the armour, then comes all the other parts of the mini. Pushing myself to do NMM for the metals, and trying to use more glazes to smooth transitions.

VqHCAyo.jpg

TITH my Typhon was delivered, very nice sculpt I rate it 8.5/10, considering its sister chassis the Spartan was a nudged 7/10 in overal quality I had prior. Mabye even 9/10 as the gap filling I predict to be minimal with liquid greenstuff.

I'm planning on getting one of those for my Dark Angels (along with the Spartan and Cerberus).

Hopefully it goes together smoothly :lol:

TITH I am working on and hoping to finish another 5 blood claws for my Space Wolves, as well as start more in earnest on some Skyclaws.

Yesterday, however, I did mess up by accidentally grabbing the Agrax gloss, so I wondered why my furs and pelts looked like a wet doggy.

That was easily fixed by just putting some lahmian medium straight over the areas to dull it back down though.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion