Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

TiTH I had a massive hobby geek out moment and wanted to share.

Like the recovery of an STC template, long since forgotten boxes of near mint condition White Dwarf magazines sat in storage of an abandoned game store from the eighties untouched by human hand and recently came up for sale.

First up is issue 36 first published in 1982, crazy to think this was published nearly forty years ago now and I was only eight at the time. Judge Dredd would not only be a massive influence on myself at an early age but would also go on to shape the fledgling 40k that was to follow 56 issues later.

P1010182

Next is probably the single most ilife changing purchase I have ever made. A magazine that solidified my passion for a hobby that I have spent nearly 40 years being heavily involved with that gave me the opportunity to have spoken, shared ideas with and inspired thousands of like minded individuals over the last two decades or so online.

Issue 93...the birth of 40k.

At this point in September of 1987 I became obsessed with 40k. Although I had been hobbying for a couple of years at this point this came out when I was 13. I absorbed every tiny detail like my life depended on it as I tried to answer the three questions that would let me enter a competion to win one of 55 copies. I can remember even now sat at the dining room table looking over the 40k section as if it was the most important thing I had ever seen.

P1010183

While I only came runner up with a £5 discount voucher the damage was already done and I was utterly blown away by something I had never seen the likes of before. I'm not a massively nostalgic or sentimental type but this bought back extremely fond memories of my childhood.

P1010184

These magazines were wonderful influential milestones in my life and to see them in this condition after all these years is something I will treasure greatly. Completely amazing to see how far the hobby has come in that time.

I also got the Catachan Colonel and Sergeant Ripper, absolutely georgeous models and beautifully proportioned compared to the old ones.

Today in the Hobby bread scattered upon on the waters have come back to me :)

As appreciation for all the terrain I build for my FLGS (mostly for 40K) tonight the store owner gave me some models he'd received in a trade. One needs stripping & repainting, one is missing a turret and all need canopies, but those are minor issues.

I got 5 Wave Serpents and 3 Falcons. Its gonna be painting time..... :yes:

TITHI Face a colour conundrum with my necrons.                                                                                                                                           

Basic chassis is boltgun metal (what else) armour plates are flesh tearers red contrast paint over the metal, Hieroglyphs are gold over more ft red on the cartouches, The joints, tabards and capes are copper/bronze and the eyes, gems and power nodes/crystals are waystone green technical over metal with gold surrounding them where applicable.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

The problem I have is what colour do i do the blades, I'm leaning towards chainmail with mithril highlights as i'm not sure i want to add another colour to the scheme but I'm open to suggestions

Edited by treadhead

Challenged myself to paint something on a reasonable fast timescale for a change. Took these Eradicators from grey plastic to finished over the course of the last 5 days, I think? It's getting pretty hard to keep track of time right now anyhow :rolleyes: 

XIII Eradicator Squad

YITH I managed to get some work done in the shed following moving house. I now have a dedicated airbrush/hobby/display area. There are a few more bits to do but it means I can start airbrushing again!

After recently going through something similar, and having several weeks without an airbrush, I feel your pain/elation on getting it back. Looking forward to seeing what you get painted up. 

My Deathwatch RPG team are getting ready for Fridays session. As a GM prelude I dropped them a message:

+Vox sub network enabled+

+Dormitories 265-270 connection established+

+Apothecarian update+

Greetings Brothers,

I apologise for intruding on your reflection & preparation time.

I have briefly discussed with Captain Mordigael your physical & mental aptitude and awareness mappings. We are in one mind that your future Killteam is a truly formidable weapon.

My advice is to take this time to steel & prepare yourselves what may come. Particular attention to Chapters 197-364 of the Codex Astartes is recommended.

The foe you shall face is by no means an easy task and you will need to avail yourselves of every ounce of your wits, strengths of arms & guile to win the day.

In the teachings of our Lord Guilliman:

“A warriors skill is not how fast he may strike but where and how.”

Codex Astartes sub volume III.

I shall meet with you all at your mission briefing in 72 standard Terran hours.

Apothecary Majoris: Brother Falko.

+Sub net terminated+

BCC

YITH I managed to get some work done in the shed following moving house. I now have a dedicated airbrush/hobby/display area. There are a few more bits to do but it means I can start airbrushing again!

After recently going through something similar, and having several weeks without an airbrush, I feel your pain/elation on getting it back. Looking forward to seeing what you get painted up.

Cheers bud. Like you I have a couple of mini dwangos that are putting a stop to any hobby time at the moment. When I do get back to it I'll be painting covert ops style primaris and some primaris IF (hence the need for the airbrush lol!)

Yesterday in the hobby, I applied some filler and molded rock faces to my old polystyrene hills to improve what they look like - hopefully I'll be able to get a decent board's worth of terrain by the time we're out of the lockdown/curfew cycle :P

TiTHI Finished painting my Land Raider Achilles. I would have preferred it if the paint didn't constantly rub off the plastic components. I'm pleased with the kit though, that quad launcher up front is a nice focal point.

Achilles1

Achilles2

Achilles3

Achilles4

Achilles5

Achilles1

Achilles2

Achilles3

Achilles4

Achilles5

TITH I delved into the murky waters of home decal printing. I needed a printer so I picked one up yesterday but being the hasty fool that I am it turns out it’s a monochrome laser one so only prints in black and white :censored: :censored: :censored:  But once I’ve got the hang of it I’ll sell it and get a colour laser printer. 
Anyway I’ve done a test print of Necropolis Hawks decals and flipped them over so I can use a few in the Deathwatch. 

9Ad7IKZh.jpg

TITH I applied decals to 3 squads of Aggressors, ‘Ardcoated over said decals, dry brushed the bases and was literally just about to finish the three squads off by painting the rims of the base. When I noticed I’d skipped a step and hadn’t painted the rubber joints and armour seals on any of the 9. D’oh!

TITH... I'm back-ish. Still need to pick up new brushes - I asked for some over Christmas, but alas, all I got was detail brushes. Hardly the kind of thing you can paint a small army of Unforgiven with - it'd take too long! I'll also need to make a paint run - there's some GW paints that are mandatory for me to pick up if I'm going to be doing any painting at all, if only to maintain consistent basing schemes across my Imperium models - but I'm researching and picking at the models I've already got. As a bit of a teaser for what I've been up to in the meantime...

ravenwing.png

The Apothecary in the middle on the weird base is a resin-printed guy off Thingiverse - until/unless we get a Primaris Biker Apothecary datasheet, he's counts-as, but it's fine. He's meant to ride with the Outriders, two of which are using Incursor helmets; the third is using a spare Eliminator helmet. Not my best build or paint work, but they'll certainly do - I had fun with them, even though two of the Outriders have very, very conspicuous cracks down the center of their bikes from where I couldn't quite get them to line up correctly. It's fine, though. I'll be working on the rest of Indomitus (I know I'm late on this) whenever I get sufficient brush to do it; the Novokh Dynasty and the Dark Angels alike will be joining the grand list of armies I own whenever I get around to it.

50851331693_a51814fba8_c.jpg[

Managed to get my first FT Termy Hero painted up after a while off the wagon. Really made me hope beyond hope for a new Terminator kit soon, or maybe even some sort of Primaris version that isn't Gravis. Love these sculpts.