DIY DA successor: help with color scheme

XKhalilX

here is the link for my DIY chapter with picture in link:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/274229-ia-the-angels-of-expurgation-35/

as you can see they look relatively light metallic. I have been thinking of modifying that idea.

I could go the metallic route:

1.leadbelcher base, with badab black wash and ironbreaker + runefang highlights, and necron compound dry brushing.)

OR

2.leadbelcher base, with badab black wash and ironbreaker and necron drybrushed highlights.

OR

3. ironbreaker base with badab black wash and runefang and necron drybrushed highlights

my issue with painting with metallics is i got bored of it in the past painting my old DIY steel wyverns with boltgun metal and mithril and chain mail highlighting with badab black wash. so im weary of going down the metallic route again.

here is alternate choices ive come up with:

4. stick with grey tones but in the non-metallic route (mechanicus grey base with badab black wash and dawnstone and admin grey highlights drybrushed)

OR

5.thinking of going a more charcoal-brown route(dryad bark base, devlan mud/badab black wash and charadon granite and stormvermin fur highlights drybrushed).

the shoulder pads i wanted to keep purple. using either:

1. naggorath night base with deamonette hide and xerxes purple highlights drybrushed

2. deamonette hide base with naggorath and xerxes purple highlights drybrushed

3. xerxes purple base with badab black wash

as for robes, the red robes will be:

1. khorne red base, with ogryn flesh/badab black wash and wazdakka red and evil suns scarlet highlights drybrushed

the helmet and backpacks will be:

1. chaos black base with dawnstone and runefang drybrushed highlights

as you can see, I am very undecided and torn on the armor scheme for the body and the shoulder pads. ANY ADVICE PLEASE HELP. Ive been out of painting for a year now. and when i left i was a beginner to begin with due to work and current overseas living (im home for 6 weeks)

For the main armour i would go to Grey and For the robes to green...

metallic armour with red robes scream to me guardians of the covenant...

about purple shoulder pads and Black helmet/backpack... I think there are Too much colors... Keep it Simple... I would paint shoulder pads Black Too (or i would go For purple on helmet and backpack Too)... Limited palette is Always better IMHO...

i tried purple backpack or helmet and wasnt feeling it at all.

i did some messing around on the painter with my black helmet, black backpack and purple shoulders, but used a dark charcoal color with dark red robes and dark brown robes. the dark brown robes looked nice to me with a charcoal armor.

tomorrow im gonna paint up a grey armour scheme, a charcoal armor scheme and a charcoal-brown armor scheme with noggaroth night shoulders on each and see what i can come up with.

im a huge fan of dark purples. so im really set on purple shoulders. i think purple shoulder pads with purple robes might be bit excessive. though deamonette hide purple is a more bluish purple then noggorath night, so i could possibly do deamonette hide robes with noggarath night shoulders. *shrugs*

i could make the helmet charcoal or grey with black robes, but that might be too much dark coloring.

med_gallery_35976_8407_3915.jpgmed_gallery_35976_8407_2989.jpgmed_gallery_35976_8407_30289.jpg

these images are using adeptus battle grey(mechanicus standard grey) with noggorath style purple shoulders.

the robes are a beige, scab red and deamonette hide

med_gallery_35976_8407_39728.jpgmed_gallery_35976_8407_23952.jpgmed_gallery_35976_8407_17451.jpg

these images are using charadon granite as a basecolor, noggarath night styled shoulders, and again, beige, scab red, and deamonette hide robes respectively.

med_gallery_35976_8407_12330.jpgmed_gallery_35976_8407_17959.jpgmed_gallery_35976_8407_3018.jpg

I tried out a green combination with the purple shoulder pads. This is Loren Forest (formerly Knarloc Green). I didnt think purple and green would go together, but I like the combination, and I think all three robes go nicely with it.

for me personally, its a decision between the granite browns and olive greens

yeah i thought the green today.

I enjoy the granite, but i was wanting to keep my successor's armor in the typical green-bone-black-red colors of the Unforgiven.

Ive narrowed it to these three

1. granite armor, purple shoulders, green robes

2. granite armor, green shoulders, purple robes

3. green armor, purple shoulders, brown robes
med_gallery_35976_8407_3605.jpgmed_gallery_35976_8407_3372.jpgmed_gallery_35976_8407_22889.jpg

facman thanks for all the input. and number one was the one i was really feeling also :) but i wanted to see what others had to say. Im gonna paint up all three today and see what it looks like model wise

so apparently there is no actual equivalent to charadon granite in the new line. stormvermin fur would be its highlight.

i dont think skavenblight dinge works, its too grey.

PLEASE has anyone found something similar to charadon granite in the new range or in other paints? im usually into reaper master but i cant seem to find anything.

OR if anyone has new color suggestion in relation to a brown-green-grey like charadon granite please throw out idea, GW, reaper, P3, vallejo, etc. please mention basecoat and highlights for me.

THANK YOU!

so after searching around i found a couple alternatives possibly:

1. GW "Dryad Bark" its more brown then charadon granite, and looks darker.

2. Tamiya "Dark Olive Drab" this looks nearly like charadon granite, though more olive.

has anyone used either of these? if so, how does it compare to charadon granite?

I don't have any experience with Chardon Granite so I can't really help on that front. But a quick google search turned up this article. Its not the exact same but it might be close enough for your taste?

Anyway hope I helped.

edit: spell check, I should use it.

You could use Stormvermin Fur as a basecoat, then wash it with Agrax Earthshade to darken it down, then highlight up with Stormvermin Fur again.......might be worth a test...

so i bought some colors today.

1. Raw Umber (Golden Fluids, sold at michaels craftstores)

2. Dryad Brown (New games worskhop color on new line, no previous equivalent. VERY dark brown).

3. Cloudy Grey (Reaper Master Series, akin to a color between codex grey and fortress grey)

1/2 skavenblight 1/2 stormvermin: WOW, so off. the guys at the local hobby shop said that should do the trick. You would think being that skavenblight is close to a darker shade of charadon granite, and stormvermin fur being its lighter highlight this would have worked. Its the most off out of the 9 mixes i did.

pure raw umber: really dark but close. 80-85%

1/2 raw umber 1/2 adeptus battlegrey: not too bad, but still more grey then charadon granite. much less brown. 75%

1/2 raw umber 1/2 cloudy grey: REALLY close. like the combination. 90%

1/2 raw umber 1/2 stormvermin: slightly less brown then the umber-cloudy grey. 85-90%

pure dryad bark: being by itself its pretty nice dark brown. slightly lighter then raw umber. id say in comparison to charadon granite, its like 85%

1/2 dryad bark 1/2 adeptus: again like the raw umber adeptus mix, bit too dark and grey, 75%

1/2 dryad 1/2 cloudy grey: nice color, really like it also. 85-90%

1/2 dryad 1/2 stormvermin: similar in 1/2 dryad 1/2 cloudy grey. but lighter and lighter then granite. 80%

facman, i have both stormvermin and agrax so ill try that [img=http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/

Archived