Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Strike hard, strike fast - 1995 with batreps and pictures

fast attack landspeeder drop pod deathcompany attack bike blood angels

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
35 replies to this topic

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

Batrep time!

We'll start with a game vs Dark eldar.

His list: (from memory)

The Duke with bodyguard on a venom

2 venoms with trueborns

another venom with cargo I can't remember

A talos

2 raiders, one with wyches and one with kabalites

one of those AV11 gunboats (with warriors I think?)

3 bikers

a group of scourges

razorwing 

Lots of nasty anti AV, poisoned shooting and haywire grenades. Fragile but mobile, which tend to make DE a tough nut to crack for a list like mine.

I ran: 

Librarian on bike

3* podded fragiosos (all grapple, one flamer)

10*DC in a pod with bolters. (one fist, one IP)

2*podded DC dreads with mag and flamers

10*sniper scouts with cloaks and a ML

3*MM attack bikes

2 whirlwinds with pintle SBs

1 autolas predator

The game was crusade (4 obj) with hammer and anvil deployment, nightfight. Rolled two useless powers on divination with the lib and used prescience all game. Chose scoring for my warlord trait. DE player made my reserve rolls 4+.

Deployment looked like this, my DZ to the right, objectives circled:

I placed one in the ruins where I intended to put my scouts and one in the open as bait. My opponent placed both of his far up inside his deployment zone. 

He won the roll off and opted to go first, deployment looked like this:

Everything on the board except the duke's venom and the AV11 gunboat. 

My deployment:

Whirlwinds and predator deployed in cover in the back. Librarian and attack bikes deployed forward with good cover from the ruin. Scout squad deployed spread on three floor of the ruins but within 12" of the librarian. 

My plan here is to use my firebase as the anvil and hammer him with the pods, holding on to one objective with the scouts and if possible do a last turn boost with my warlord to capture another. 

I then roll a 6 to seize the initative! Yay! Getting first is very nice since if I can take away his mobility advantage he'll be toast.

Turn 1 BA

I opt to bring in the 2 melta furiosos and the deathcompany. What then follows is one of the worst alpha strikes I've had against DE. :pinch: 

The first furioso scatters 11" off the board and is lost. The second one arrives in a good position to suicide the two forward deployed raiders. DC I drop between the bikes, venom and talos, hoping to torrent away the bikes with bolter fire before they get a jink save:

The bikers and Librarian move full speed into the ruins, failing a dangerous terrain test. I twinlink the scouts. Predators and whirlwinds move forward to fire. So far things are looking all right. But then the shooting starts.... The combined fire of bikers and twinlinked scouts fail to kill the talos, leaving it with a single wound. The DC fire wildly and fail to kill off the bikes, leaving a single on left. The combined firepower of the dread, both whirlwinds and predator takes a single hullpoint off the whyches raider as he's making his shadow field saves time and time again. Things are looking grim.

Turn 2 DE

On his turn he moves one venom forward, moves in to assault the DC with his talos, single bike ducks out of LoS and the scourges move away slightly from the fragioso. One raider moves forward to shoot at my whirlwinds and get his troops close to the objective in the small ruin. 

Luckily for me his shooting is as bad if not worse than mine. Nothing happens to the whirlwinds. The dread survives an incredible amount of fire without suffering a single HP! He attempts to take out the drop pod for first blood but only manage to glance it once. 

The DC also absorb a lot of shooting with a single casualty before getting charged by the talos. The talos kills two of them while they fail do anything...

Turn 2

Last pods stays in reserves, Librarian twinlinks his own unit before moving out of cover to make sure a few transports die.  On the way out I fail another dangerous terrain test, doh!. The dread move into area terrain for better cover and another shot at the wyche raider. Predators and whirlwind move back a little for better LoS and trying to get some cover from his razorwing in case it arrives.  

This turn my shooting does a little more damage to his transports. One venom is wrecked, the wyches raider gets glanced to death by the dread, MM bikers blow up a venom with trueborn along with most of it's passengers. Whirlwind fire kill all but three whyches and the drop pod kill two more. Things are looking bright until the assault phase. DC fail to do anything and lose another few models. The fragioso attempts to charge the lone whych in order to gain some distance away from the dangerous guns pointed at his rear and side AV. The DE player rolls a 6 for his haywire grenade on overwatch, then another 6 to pen and finally a third 6 to blow up the dread. Ouch. 

Turn 2 DE

All of his reserves show up. The razorwing moves onto the table targeting one of the whirlwinds. The duke deep strike close to ruins where my scouts are and the gunboat gets a drop on the second whirlwind and lone predator.

Someway the only thing that happens are a single hullpoint lost on the whirlwind targeted by the razorwing and one hull point lost on the predator. The duke targets the bikes but they shrug off most of it, taking only a single wound. The raider with the warriors unload onto the objective.  A few more DC die in the combat.  The single bike turbo boosts into my deployment zone to blast my armor. 

Turn 3 BA

One DC pod and the flamer fragioso finally arrives. 

DC dread kills the raider and most of the warriors riding it, leaving 3 of them still standing on the objective. 

Flamer fragioso goes after the scourges and one of the remaining venoms.

Frags the venom and all but one trueborn but only kills two scourges, a lot less than I had hoped for. The pred and whirlwinds turn their attention on the gunboat but only manage to wreck it without killing any passengers. The bikes fail to do anything and the scouts try to get out of assault range from the duke and his unit. One whirlwind has driven into the ruin to further block any enemy movement. The last DC is killed by the Talos.

Turn 3 DE

The flamer furioso is blown to bits and the scourges move up the field with the Talos. The DC dread is also blown up by a lucky shot. His razorwing banks left and unloads everything at the whirlwind sitting in the ruins. Only a single glance comes through. The venom gets a nice salvo in an obliterates my warlord and his unit. The duke dismounts and heads for the scouts.  

With my only scoring unit about to be wiped, my warlord dead, no way to score linebreaker and a number of small DE units still alive things are looking rather bleak. Still, if I manage to hold on I should be able to pull off a draw or even a win!

The Duke and his unit charges the scouts, I limited the damage by locking his warlord in a challenge but by the end only a single scout remains.

Turn 4 and 5

These kind of blur together as I fight tooth and nail to pull off a tie. My final dread shows up and pretty much wipes the scourges before killing the talos with only one arm, he then gets blown up by the final venom who in turn is obliterated by a whirlwind. With some luck I manage to finish off all of the units on his table half thanks to my drop pod storm bolters! What remains is a single bike, the duke + body guard and the warrior unit whom I manage to wear down little by little using a combo of tank shocks, whirlwind, predator and the extra storm bolter shots I spent my spare points on. 

The game ends dramatically as I manage to push his scoring unit just off the objective in the bottom floor of the large ruins with a tank shock from a whirlwind. A stunned predator then manages to land a snap shot from a lascannon on the duke, who rolls a 1 on his LoS and then a 1 on his shadow field! SPLAT. I'm ahead at that point but he manages to run into my deployment and score linebreaker with a few remaining warriors! 

A tie!

Exciting game to the end :)  

There was some hot dice on both sides but in the end the game really came down to my inability to finish off his units. He had numerous single model units, only failed one LD check out of twenty during the game. In fact the drop pods scored the most kills in terms of units wiped.

Next up is a Coteaz castle, fun!

24 years of Blood Angels

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

Batrep time!

The game ends dramatically as I manage to push his scoring unit just off the objective in the bottom floor of the large ruins with a tank shock from a whirlwind. A stunned predator then manages to land a snap shot from a lascannon on the duke, who rolls a 1 on his LoS and then a 1 on his shadow field! SPLAT. I'm ahead at that point but he manages to run into my deployment and score linebreaker with a few remaining warriors! 

A tie!

LOL, you can really tell this game dragged on into the night! How is 2-1 in VPs anything but a victory for BA? :P

24 years of Blood Angels

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

Still got two batreps in my backlog but I've been looking at DA allies again.

Dealing with massed MCs is still a concern, but otherwise it feels pretty solid.

BA detachment

bike librarian

triple fragioso, all podded and grappled up, one with HF

DC talon dread in pod

10 DC, bolter or BP+CCW

2*3MM attack bikes

two whirlwinds

DA detachment

bike librarian with infravisor

tac squad in pod with melta and combi-melta

scoutsquad with cloaks and sniper rifles

whirlwind

7 pts to spare... 

24 years of Blood Angels

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

There's a tourney coming up and I feel like an update is in order. It has some serious restrictions for allies, fortifications and flyers. Not my cup of tea normally but you take what you can get. On the other hand none of the restrictions will nerf my list, just make it stronger biggrin.png

What we are looking at is this:

No fortifications... at all. However, you can buy the quadgun or icarus (but not the coms relay)

No supplemental Codexes

3 flyers/FMC max, with a 0-2 limit on the good and decent ones.

No forgeworld.

Allies of convenience and battlebrother are downgraded one step.

Missions with extreme emphasis on scoring, troops in particular.

confused.gif 

Oh well, as stated earlier it only makes my own position better. Except for the last point but that's unfortunately pretty standard for tournaments.

The BA + DA list I posted above didn't feel different enough from what I already was running. Didn't really fix the problems I had nor did it take into account the rising popularity of Eldar and Tau. 

What I'm looking at now is BA core with SW allies. I'm particularly interested in the rune priests for JotWW and chooser of the slain for area control. Being able to take 2 of them along with some really solid scoring (GH)  is neat.

This is my first draft;

+++ 1940pt Space Wolves plus FW (2012), Blood Angels 5th Edition Roster (Allied Detachment, Primary Detachment)) +++

+ HQ + (260pts)

* Rune Priest (130pts) 
         Chooser of the Slain, Rune Axe
        * Runic Armour

* Rune Priest (130pts) 
        Chooser of the Slain, Rune Sword
        * Runic Armour

+ Troops + (300pts)

* Grey Hunters Pack (150pts) 
        * Drop Pod
            Storm Bolter
        * 7x Grey Hunter
           Plasma Gun

* Drop Pod
            Storm Bolter
        * 7x Grey Hunter
           Plasma Gun

Blood Angels 5th Edition (Primary Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (135pts)

* Librarian (135pts) 
        * Power Armour
            Bolt Pistol, Space Marine Bike

+ Elites + (350pts)

* Furioso Dreadnought (175pts) 
        Drop Pod
        * Furioso
            Blood Fist with built-in Meltagun, Frag Cannon, Magna Grapple

Drop Pod
        * Furioso

+ Troops + (515pts)

* Assault Squad (100pts) 
        4x Assault Marines, Retain Jump Packs, Veteran Sergeant

* Death Company (235pts) 
        10x Bolt Pistol, 10x Chainsword, 10x Death Company Marine, Drop Pod

* Scout Squad (180pts) 
        Missile Launcher, 9x Sniper Rifle
        * 9x Scouts
            9x Camo Cloaks
        * Veteran Sergeant
            Bolt Pistol, Camo Cloak, Sniper Rifle

+ Fast Attack + (200pts)

* Attack Bike Squadron (100pts) 
        2x Attack Bike, 2x Multimelta

+ Heavy Support + (180pts)

* Whirlwind (90pts) 

* Whirlwind (90pts) 

Pretty satisfied with a few points to spare.... Probably on a quadgun or Icarus for the assault squad to man. It's a bit light on dreads, and that makes me sad, but every unit feels like a priority target. There's no filler, yet I have redundancy. Maybe a bit light on the melta? 

24 years of Blood Angels

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

Minibatrep time! 

Earlier this summer I faced a nasty SM/GK list with Coteaz. Not a straight up henchmen spam netlist, I'd have a easier time dealing with that, but something more colored by my local meta.   

He ran something like this;

Coteaz with shooty unit

Landraider with assaulty henchmen

Unit of shooty henchmen

vindicare assassin

motf with beamer

tac squad with razor

scout squad

land speeders

MM attack bikes

I ran;

Reclusiarch

The usual dreads

DC in pod with HQ

Tac squad in pod

scout bikers

HB speeder squadron

vanguards

predators

Scouring with hammer and anvil. 

Long story short he tried to castle and maximize the use of his intercept shots. I marked up the Coteaz kill bubble with some dice on the board and took down my pods just outside of it, or in one case inside but with the dread disembarked just outside it before completing his move. He got first blood from a drop pod but I managed a foot hold :)

Didn't get much use out of my support fire the first turn thanks to nightfight and the ADL, but the second wave of pods really took their toll as his reserves got delayed. 

On the third turn I finally nail his raider with a melta from the second frag cannon dread. Plus my Vanguard veterans pull of a very tight heroic intervention juuuuuust outside of Coteaz LoS

In the ensuing multi assault I manage to tie up Coteaz and his unit as well the Motf and the assassin! Over the next assault phases my sergeant challenges and splatters all three characters! A bit lucky but who is to say that the powerfist sergeant has no use in 6th? Plenty of characters that have a really hard time taking on a 3+ model with a S8 weapon....

We had to call the game early but at turn 3 we were looking at 15-3 VPs in my favor. More turns would have equalized the result a bit but hardly changed it into a loss.  

Funny how some people dismiss coteaz and warp quake lists as auto losses for a pod list. :) I've beaten both now.

24 years of Blood Angels

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

+++ 1940pt Space Wolves plus FW (2012), Blood Angels 5th Edition Roster (Allied Detachment, Primary Detachment)) +++

+ HQ + (260pts)

* Rune Priest (130pts) 
         Chooser of the Slain, Rune Axe
        * Runic Armour

* Rune Priest (130pts) 
        Chooser of the Slain, Rune Sword
        * Runic Armour

+ Troops + (300pts)

* Drop Pod
            Storm Bolter
        * 7x Grey Hunter
           Plasma Gun

* Drop Pod
            Storm Bolter
        * 7x Grey Hunter
           Plasma Gun

Blood Angels 5th Edition (Primary Detachment) Selections:

+ HQ + (135pts)

* Librarian (135pts) 
        * Power Armour
            Bolt Pistol, Space Marine Bike

+ Elites + (350pts)

Drop Pod
        * Furioso

Drop Pod
        * Furioso

+ Troops + (515pts)

* Assault Squad (100pts) 
        4x Assault Marines, Retain Jump Packs, Veteran Sergeant

* Death Company (235pts) 
        10x Bolt Pistol, 10x Chainsword, 10x Death Company Marine, Drop Pod

* Scout Squad (180pts) 
        Missile Launcher, 9x Sniper Rifle
        * 9x Scouts
            9x Camo Cloaks
        * Veteran Sergeant
            Bolt Pistol, Camo Cloak, Sniper Rifle

+ Fast Attack + (200pts)

+ Heavy Support + (180pts)

* Whirlwind (90pts) 

* Whirlwind (90pts) 

Had a trial game today with the above list + a quadgun. Mech Marines.

Didn't have time to finish the game but would very likely not have been able to win. 

Had a pretty sad first turn. Despite no nightfight and good scatter on the pods I did 0 wounds and 0 hull points, while taking two wounds on my own models with a perils and a failed terrain test. :pinch:

Lessons Learned:

The bike librarian has to go, he can be good but he's way too fragile and situational. If I don't roll perfect timing there's not much he can do.... at least not with BRB powers.  I also have less backfield units to buff than before so he's simply not pulling his weight. Either I go for a fighty HQ to go with the DC or I make some points for good ol' Mephiston. I'm leaning towards the latter.

2 MM bikes is not enough. Not enough firepower, too easy to kill.  I'll probably take one squad of 3 instead and see what I can do with the extra points. 

Heavy support section is not set in stone. Whirlwinds are a bit underwhelming against MEQ but they do get to fire every turn, that's something you can't say about other units. 

Allied section feels pretty solid. This game melta would have been a lot more useful than plasma. But overall I expect to get a lot more trouble from MCs than I will from AV13+. 

Thoughts?

24 years of Blood Angels

Paulochromis

Paulochromis

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,566 posts

Thoughts?

Well apart from the fact that I can't display your list on a single screen ...

I see you've gone with chainswords on the podded DC, do you really need the extra attacks? Would have thought (some) bolters would be worth considering.

Also, if you never combat squad, 8-man with a couple power weapons could give added versatility (in terms of what they can take on).

As far as the MMABs are concerned, three is a bigger footprint and tougher to hide (in their entirety), although you can play hide one/two-show the others tactic.

Do you ever combat squad the scouts? If not, 6-8's as good as 10 for shooty units.

The 'trim the numbers' suggestions are all there to help you get Mephy into the mix.

You could also save 5 whole points by shifting a Whirlwind to the Wolves (it doesn't need to be fast, does it).

War will never cease until babies begin to come into the world with larger cerebrums and smaller adrenal glands. -H.L. Mencken (1880-1956)
It's not the genius who is 100 years ahead of his time but average man who is 100 years behind it. -Robert Musil (1880-1942)
People of small caliber like to sit on high horses. -Magdalena Samozwaniec (1894-1972)

19.jpg

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

Thoughts?

Well apart from the fact that I can't display your list on a single screen ...

I see you've gone with chainswords on the podded DC, do you really need the extra attacks? Would have thought (some) bolters would be worth considering.

Also, if you never combat squad, 8-man with a couple power weapons could give added versatility (in terms of what they can take on).

As far as the MMABs are concerned, three is a bigger footprint and tougher to hide (in their entirety), although you can play hide one/two-show the others tactic.

Do you ever combat squad the scouts? If not, 6-8's as good as 10 for shooty units.

The 'trim the numbers' suggestions are all there to help you get Mephy into the mix.

You could also save 5 whole points by shifting a Whirlwind to the Wolves (it doesn't need to be fast, does it).

That's listmaking software for you. Why none of them have a truly compact output mode is beyond me. Editing to make it readable takes longer than making the list itself.. dry.png

I've used both bolter DC and BP+CCW DC in the past. While bolter DC definitely have their advantages I currently prefer all out close combat gear. Too much 3+ in my meta for the loss of extra attacks to be worth it. DC can't combat squad but trying to squeeze in a few power weapons or a melta pistol could be worth it. Not sure where I would get the points though.

Right now the MMABs are alone in my fast selection, so I could run them 3*1 or 1*3 but in this tournament I don't want to give up too many KPs by splitting them.

So far with this list I combat squad the scouts. Want to spread out my scoring and give the opponent poor returns on his shooting.

I actually ran a mephiston list today. Same as above but with one less attack bike and the rest in one squad, one less DC and no quadgun. Flamer and meltabomb on the assault squad.

It worked pretty well (near wipe on turn 6) although the opposition admittedly wasn't as strong as yesterday.  I suspect that I want to work in the quadgun or icarus somehow, but points are tight. ermm.gif

Fast is actually very useful on the whirlwinds. You never miss a shot due to range and can keep away from trouble seeing as they are relatively fragile.  Giving up fast for 5 pts isn't worth it, exchanging the whirlwind for something else all together might be.

24 years of Blood Angels

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

If possible I'm going to try the following on Sunday vs a flyer heavy IG list or mech eldar:

Mephiston

3* MM AB

10 Sniper scouts

5 assault marines with flamer and melta bombs

2* podded fragiosos

9 DC in pod

2 whirlwinds

2* Runepriest with choser of the slain and runic armor

2* 7 man Greyhunters with a plasma in pods

24 years of Blood Angels

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

Had another game vs the SoB player today. Lost by a small margin on turn 6 mainly due to a few bad calls on my part;

No solid plan for Mephiston.
He did nothing and got caught in the open by some melta and exorcist fire.... bye bye.

Lost one of the GH pods in a DS mishap.
Due to a needlessly risky DS that honestly didn't have that good of a payoff even if it had been successful.

Put down one of the dreads too early.
Too much melta on the table. Should have put down all infantry on one flank since he was spread out. First dread could have been saved if I had been more careful with my pre measure. The table was so loaded with melta that I got within 12" of a MM without noticing.

Really bad call on a multiple assault by the DC.
Admittedly he lucked out on the overwatch which seriously cut down on the number of attacks. Even so I was way too ambitious, trying to take on a canoness with repentia and the remaining models from his command squad. Against 3+ and better you really need every one of those attacks to force enough saves.

Other than that there was some bad and good luck on both sides. All in all I think the above mistakes cost me the game.

The 5 man assault squad is somewhat useful, but unlike my first variation with a quadgun and no Mephiston they have no real purpose and tend to just do what ever. The idea behind them was to place the quadgun aggressively and have it manned by infiltrating scouts. The assault squad would then move up the board and take over the quadgun for one turn. By turn 2 or 3 I usually have control of any emplaced weapon the opponent brings thanks to my podded units. smile.png With two intercept weapons AA is pretty decent.

Late game the scouts can resume manning the quadgun and any podded unit can move on to capture objectives as the small assault squad moves in the opponents deployment zone to man the opponents gun or go after an objective.

Sounds complicated but it mostly just goes with the flow of the game. smile.png

Now, how can I make room for the quadgun?
If I downgrade the plasma to melta in the GH squads I get 10 pts. Then it gets tricky.... I could drop a MM from the AB squadron, that's another 10. Still 30 to go. Drop the missile launcher on the scouts? Cut one DC? Points are tight....

Edited by knife&fork, 18 August 2013 - 08:13 PM.

24 years of Blood Angels

knife&fork

knife&fork

++ VISCERA LACERATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,701 posts

Had another practice game today vs DE, KP mission....

I'm aware that DE is a mismatch due to the speed, number of vehicles and not really packing any of the units I've built my list to deal with. No psykers, no key units like dakka banners, pathfinders or characters, very little on foot and so on. KP is also bad since I have like 18-19... :pinch:

Got completely stomped with 5-12 in VPs and probably only escaped a wipe due to the game ending on turn 5. 

While I had some bad luck (early shooting, lost assault squad to mishap... again!) I also made some serious miscalculations. Instead of playing extremely aggressive I tried to castle, lure him in and play kill point denial on one flank. I forgot how much it hurts the units inside when you blow up a DE transport, and how much of the firepower that comes from the vehicles. De-meching DE at any cost is the key to victory! 

Instead I ended up like this;

That's the Death company deep inside my own deployment zone, desperately lined up against the wall trying to stay out of LoS. Just out of the picture the lord of death himself is hiding behind the wrecks of two whirlwinds together with a solitary grey hunter and the last Runepriest. pinch.gif The unit with the highest kill count this game was probably the scouts....

Lesson learned;

Don't hesitate, don't hold back.

24 years of Blood Angels