Broken Arrows- 8/21/13 That Oldschool Black Magic

Good choice of colour scheme, you have picked colours that really do compliment each other. Also, I do like the head bottom right with the hair dye, though I would try again to get the pupils in as it really gives them 'life' when done. I will give your fluff a read when I get some more time (we all know fluff is what makes an army!)

Carry on yes.gif

Good choice of colour scheme, you have picked colours that really do compliment each other. Also, I do like the head bottom right with the hair dye, though I would try again to get the pupils in as it really gives them 'life' when done. I will give your fluff a read when I get some more time (we all know fluff is what makes an army!)

Carry on yes.gif

Dye? That's a feather on the back of his head. teehee.gif

Enjoy the fluff, the link is in my sig.

Those faces look amazing. I've always struggled to get a realistic look to the skintones of miniatures who aren't white, can I enquire as to your process here?

Well, I made it up as I went along, but these are the ingredients I used (if memory serves):

Primed light gray

Basecoat Dark Flesh

Wash Badab Black

Basecoat a mix of Dark Flesh and Balor Brown. Comes out looking like a reddish peach color.

Add more Brown and some Kommando Khaki. Looks a bit more peachy. Use as second basecoat.

More Khaki, maybe more Brown. Looks yellowish. used as highlight.

Make a bit brighte with more Khaki or Bleach Bone. used as second highlight.

Devlan Mud wash.

Very light Baal Red wash.

Touch up as necessary.

Yeah, crappy instructions I know. I'm gonna have to figure it out as I go again next time I pick up the brushes. Maybe I should write it down when I finish for a change tongue.png

Carry on yes.gif

Dye? That's a feather on the back of his head. teehee.gif

Enjoy the fluff, the link is in my sig.

Oops my bad blush.png they do look really, rather good though thumbsup.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Small update- I've finally completed the test model. Well, the model has been complete for over a month, but I finally based him :teehee:

I was wracking my brain over how to best paint the bases for a terribly long while now, and today I settled on it. Basecoat black, heavy drybrush Codex Gray, was low sections heavily with Earthshade, spot raised part randomly with Sepia, tiles Fortress Gray and Badab Black wash, and tada-

gallery_38474_8443_48934.jpg

Very fast but pretty effective, even if the lighter brown shades don't show up in the photo. tongue.png

Some bases have bits of debris like a helmet, auspex, piping and the like which will add more color, and do a better job to sell them as properly urban than only tiles can manage.

Currently I'm hand brushing details on bits (metal parts, lenses, etc.) while I wait for thinner to arrive in the mail. The assembly line rolls on smile.png

OK, prepare for an onslaught of pictures. These are the guys I've been working on, and I couldn't resist showing off what I've got so far before muting it all with oil washes and battle damage tongue.png I didn't photograph the arms or backpacks, but they're at the same stage. The only thing I have left to do before washes and chipping is the iconography on the shoulder pads, which is going to be very, very tricky to make uniform. Fingers crossed pinch.gif

gallery_38474_8443_27330.jpg

gallery_38474_8443_47069.jpg

gallery_38474_8443_50539.jpg

gallery_38474_8443_18562.jpg

gallery_38474_8443_6619.jpg

gallery_38474_8443_25613.jpg

gallery_38474_8443_29902.jpg

gallery_38474_8443_6057.jpg

gallery_38474_8443_5575.jpg

gallery_38474_8443_22947.jpg

gallery_38474_8443_28052.jpg

The last two pics are to give a better look at some of my favorite iconography smile.png I really have fun with those things, right up until I go cross eyed from holding the models 6 inches from my face teehee.gif

A shame that the brown gradient gets washed out by the pics. I can't ever seem to master photography sad.png I know a guy who knows a guy who is a professional photographer, and if I can I'll try and get some hands on teaching.

I suspect playing around with any manual exposure control would help. The camera is trying not.to blow out the white background so you won't get enough light off the model, most likely.

More later probably when I'm not on my phone, but that's a great start! :)

I suspect playing around with any manual exposure control would help. The camera is trying not.to blow out the white background so you won't get enough light off the model, most likely.

More later probably when I'm not on my phone, but that's a great start! smile.png

I've tried playing around with the exposure and what not in all sorts of ways. Unfortunately I'm still a bit clumsy about this fancy camera, but oddly enough when I do those adjustments (in accordance with several online tutorials I've read) the images go out of focus. Even stranger, on the screen the picture is in focus, right up until it snaps the shot. It's only once it displays the image that things are all fuzzy.

Frustrating to say the least verymad.gif

very cool color scheme ! And your inspiring me to change my bases ;). However for some CC, I would consider the following; 1. A final brighter highlight would go a long way imho 2. consider weathering pigments for the lower legs. 

Thanks for the advice Vect.  I avoid both of those for the sake of speed.  Instead of edge highlight I just use the silver scratches.  The latest batch of pics is unfortunately a bit darker than they really are.  The completed model above them is a better indicator of the colors.  Also, ironically enough, the highlights show up better after the models are washed.  Go figure.

I did seriously consider powders, though.  I passed them over on the basis of speed, cash, and questions of durability.  But on the other hand I was still undecided because it would be just one more thing I've never done before (on top of airbrushing, oil washes, and battle damage).

When I first saw the design for the Broken Arrow's colour scheme that you did in the SM painter I wasn't sure I liked the colours, but now that the models are painted I love it! Brown isn't something you see very often on Space Marines (especially not as the dominant colour) but you've got yourself a really nice earthy shade that compliments the electric/neon blue of the arrow markings really well and combined with the polished silver details and the bright green eyes it makes for a seriously striking scheme.

I really hope to see more of the Broken Arrows soon (especially a squad of Sternguard, please? Please?) so I can marvel at your handiwork and bitterly nurse my growing jealousy for your skills.

Diggin' what you got going so far. I'm a fan of your concept IA, so seeing these fellas come to life is cool.

Also, while bumbling about the interwebs, I came across this pic from deviantart, and I thought of your Chapter immediately. Hope it helps, man.

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/062/9/6/25th_anniversary_rogue_trader___grayscale_by_rumbles-d4rlmem.jpg

Ohh, very cool smile.png

Sometime after I finish my ETL vow (assuming I can finish on time, the pressure's really on now!) I will definitely have to make a sniper scout squad. At least one of them is just gonna have to be modeled using a bow and arrow, if I can figure out how smile.png One-eye just made a crossbowlter for his Phoenix dudes that is beyond awesome, but beyond the scope of my bits and talent. tongue.png

But yeah, I have to do it. As it stands, my current batch of squads isn't that outstanding modeling wise. Customized bolters, some feathers, and a few trophies, it's a good start, but doesn't encapsulate the Arrows' identity quite as thoroughly as I would like. Archer scouts...that'll do it, for sure B)

@SanguiniusReborn- That batch above does indeed include 10 Sternguard, plus a 5 man Devastator squad....or at least that is what my ETL vow says msn-wink.gif

• 5 weeks later...

Bon chance brother!

Have to say i really like the look of your marines, very different, which is a good thing!

Looking forward to seeing how that load paints up!

FTE

Edit:  And yeah, really think we should see a bow armed scout sooner rather than later, too awesome for words.

Played around a bit today, got most everything browned up, and tried airbrushing highlights and whatnot on a drop pod door.  Some of it went alright.  I used an old credit card as the guide, and I've decided it's too thick and rigid.  Gonna have to sacrifice some plasticard, I think.

One very important thing I learned today- do metallic airbrushing first, then varnish and mask that :cuss up!  That damned glitter gets everywhere.  It even made it on to the complete opposite side of the door I was testing on, somehow.  And of course, cleaning it out of the brush afterwards is oh so much fun. :P

I also learned that Tamiya masking tape will still strip some off the model if you aren't lucky, so I may be ending up with yet another mid-paintjob varnish step. :P

Anyway, with my current pace I may just make the deadline.  Here's hoping :)

As for the Archer Scout, if I can figure out how to do a decent conversion, he's a guarantee!  Him, and the Force Bow Librarian I sketched up a month or two back, assuming the damned bitz ever arrive from Italy :verymad:

OK, so the ETL vow fell through. I simply lost too much time when I was forced to strip all the heads and shoulders, and even if I hadn't, I had a whole lot of other stumbling blocks as I learned my way around the new techniques I'm using for these guys. But, I'm glad with the results now, so I guess that's all that matters-

There are few beasts living in the mountains of Lacrum that can be brought down by a lone hunter. Parties must hunt in perfect coordination, orchestrating complex traps and ambushes with necessarily remedial, efficient communication. Above all, it is the first strike which often decides the outcome of a hunt- it can scatter the herds, steer prey in the right direction, and cripple beasts that would otherwise be far too dangerous to pursue. The men and women given the responsibility of coordinating and beginning the hunt with this critical first shot are known as Bleeders, and are among the most respected souls in any Tribe. Among the Arrows, the title is bestowed upon squad leaders, whom share much the same responsibilities on the battlefield.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bleeder Kiwillik Iwintorae
"There is no such thing as excessive force."
Bleeder Kiwillik has literally served with a caliber of bluntness all his own since his earliest days as a Newheart. Though most Arrows alter their weapons towards their own concept of optimal balance, Kiwillik’s taste lean almost entirely towards raw force, so much so that his customized Bolter’s ammunition now resembles ordnance more than standard shells. Even with the strength of an Astartes, the recoil of this overpowered beast of a Bolter requires Kiwillik to hold it down whenever firing more than single shots. As a Bleeder, he leads with the same unsubtle demeanor, seeking the honor of spear tip deployments for himself and his squad and relishing every burst of red mist and visceral goop his precious weapon makes of the Emperor’s enemies.
gallery_38474_8443_19365.jpggallery_38474_8443_23188.jpg
Bleeder Xiwinoae Aha’Towan
"I've got just the thing for that."
Xiwin is an up and coming battle brother, one of the youngest to achieve such a rank in the history of the Chapter. Although his tactical acumen and talent for leadership are well above average, it is Xiwin’s versatility as a warrior that earned his place as a Bleeder. He has shown a remarkable fluidity on the battlefield, juggling weaponry and switching roles to adjust to any unforeseen challenges. Such tenacity is the very embodiment of the broken arrow, and Xiwin has already been earmarked by the Chapter’s leaders for his potential.

gallery_38474_8443_31687.jpggallery_38474_8443_19393.jpg

Fletching and bow crafting are among the most important skills the young hunters of Lacrum will learn in life, and the art of using just the right weapon for every sort of prey is considered the hallmark of a true hunter. The practice carries over into the Arrows, so that every Bolter is lovingly customized for range, caliber, accuracy, rate of fire, and every other manner of function until it becomes as familiar to the owner as his own reflection. Consequentially, more complicated and temperamental weaponry is only begrudgingly taken. Wielding a Plasma Gun or Melta not only insults their own standard issue (if such a term even applies) Bolters, but also curtails or outright prohibits the Arrow’s joy of modifying his weapon. But as much as any Arrow loves his Bolter, sometimes you simply have to melt a hole in a tank, or turn a mutant alien behemoth to radioactive vapor. Such are the sacrifices of war, sorrowful as they are.

gallery_38474_8443_35542.jpg

Owa Hanaliko

"The galaxy hates us more than you ever want to know, brothers."

Although the Broken Arrows are all devoted to their hunt of the Dark Eldar, there are those among their number which display a true insight into the minds of the alien sadists. The Inquisition tapped Owa for this cunning, bending Chapter lore and his own instincts towards hunting the Dark Eldar as a member of the Deathwatch. Owa returned over 50 years later, aloof and distant, but bringing with him invaluable expertise in the ways of xenos beyond the Chapter’s ancestral enemies. Of all the trophies of the hunt, honor marks, and lovingly modified equipment he carries, it is the holy pauldron of silver he wears to war which Owa cherishes the most.
gallery_38474_8443_23405.jpggallery_38474_8443_18949.jpg
"Our enemies are infinite. Ammunition is not. Learn this fast and well, Newhearts- a good blade is every bit as needed as a good bow."
gallery_38474_8443_26397.jpggallery_38474_8443_3614.jpg
More tomorrow. I'm too tired to keep writing :P

Archived