Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grey Knight Shunt Force Interceptors and DreadKnights alpha

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

ja_147

ja_147

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 46 posts

Howdy all

So this weekend I tried my 1500pts list

OMI w. TDA, Psycannon, NDH, PML 1

Strike Squad x 10 w. Psycannon x 2, Psybolt Ammo
Terminators  x 10 w. Psycannon x 2, Psybolt Ammo 

Interceptors x 5 w. Psycannon, Psybolt Ammo

2 x Dreadknight w. HI, NGS, PT

I played agaisnt a Tau force comprising of

2 units of Kroot

2 Hammerheads

1 Riptide

1 Command 2 plasma, 7 marker drones and a batman belt of gadgets.

3 Broardsides with high yeld missles and smart missles

4 Pharianas

1 Devilfish with some fire warriors in.

The Dread knight tag team jumped and kill phraina and kroot to a crud load of shot and killed a riptide

the intecepters got a lucky shot on a hammer head with the psycannon.

Where the strikes where deployed  there were out of the game from the start and the teminators didnt do much again infact nothing really.

i lost due to poor deployment and poor target priority. Also my a opponet hunkered in one corner.

I really shoudl of deployed my entire army center board.

ive played 2 games against the Tau now and ive learnt some things that you might find usefull.

* If missle broadsides are on the board they are you top prioity with marker light being then next.

* Dont underestermate Kroot snipers.

* Do not assault Tau with just one unit no matter how hard you thing it is. It will take heavy casulties to shooting.

* Allways if you get the option make Tau deploy first.

my next game was against necrons and i won.

from what I know he had

4 lords broken off in to units

2 units of 10 imortals

1 unit of leich guard

2 of those tesla barges

3 wraiths

unit of deathmasks

nigth scyth with more imortals in it.

The dreadknight were great in this game burning lots of necrons and chopping them in combat. They died to the unit of leichgurd but they held them up for ages. the interpters shunted behind a barge and killed it then died. Th strike squad took a lot of shots from them second barge and  deathmarks down to two men and died in combat to wraiths. The terminators held the center 3 pts objective and killed anything that came in range. 1 unit of imortals, the scyth, deathmarks and would of killed more if been more then 5 turns.

it seam the weekness is the strike squad it not pulling its weight and the intercepters are just killing somthing then dieing. for 160pts they are im thinking is there anything else i can put in for them?

Im unfortuanly thinking the Shunt idea is not working at this level and i thinking more fire support. the tag team dreads are beautiful.

so ideas drop both strike and interp for terminators or interpters for second OMI to go with the strike.

Maybe ill play a few more games this weekend see how they do.

Edited by ja_147, 20 May 2013 - 07:08 AM.

Justicar Enethys

Justicar Enethys

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 147 posts

Hey mate. Obviously in the past we've looked at your list and tried to assist with it - but keeping a teleport/shunt theme going for it. If we're looking at expanding that scope a little and factoring in a few more unit choices, I'm sure we can come up with something smile.png However, there's not much we can do to the list with so little to swap out. Obviously the dual NDK's are working out nice for you so I assume they're staying. At 1,500 points however, they are a serious commitment - accounting for over 30% of your points.

Firstly - things to consider perhaps are that the Strike Squad are there largely to hold objectives and help against Deep Striking units in your deployment zone (Warp Quake ftw). They will never be solid performers when it comes to all out aggression. They need to be sat with a nice field of fire in front of them to get the most of the Psycannon's 'Heavy' profile. 

Secondly, if the Interceptors are getting in to kill something but then dying - well that is largely their job. A 5 man squad killing a target of choice and then attracting fire is no bad thing necessarily and if combined with placement behind cover etc, they can be of great use. It sounds like they're doing their job exactly right.

That said, how about the following:

Terminators    x 10  w. Psycannon x 2
Strike Squad   x   5  w. Psycannon, Razorback w. Psybolt Ammo

Strike Squad   x   5  w. Psycannon, Razorback w. Psybolt Ammo

ADL w. Quad Gun.

1,500 exactly and somewhere to work from. You lose the Interceptors and Psybolt Ammo on the Terminators and have to drop the Strikes to 2 x 5 man squads. They become much more capable and focussed at their role however. The Psybacks add longer range (36") fire support. 3 twin linked shots at S6 is nothing to be sniffed at and can even target flyers with a reasonable chance of a hit (Though glancing/penetrating is tough). They also provide some protection for your troops while they're inside or behind them. Even when wrecked they can still provide cover. Getting 25% + obscured for a 4+ cover save isn't hard - especially when you also have the ADL. I included this to add to cover you get to place, provide more ranged fire support and increase your chances against an enemy flyer. 4x TL, S7, 48" shots with Skyfire AND Interceptor is a great investment and the way to go if you are wanting to add ranged firepower to your existing list without having to lose the DK's or shake things up too much.

You lose little and merely shuffle around troops you already had. Add a couple of cheap transports with fire support and an ADL, and your list plays much more how you seem to want to progress it. With the Terminators and OMI advancing - with the DK's dong their thing, while the Strikes cover rear - midfield laying down fire support, holding objectives, and warding off enemy Deep Striking units with Warp Quake.

Edited by Justicar Enethys, 20 May 2013 - 03:59 PM.

ja_147

ja_147

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 46 posts
I think that for 1500 the all shunt idea has to be put aside. Once this 1500pts tournment is over i can really have a good crack at the theme. I do love the dread knights, models (converted) and proformance.
thanks for your guidence. Im gona try one more time then try your new sugestion. I think Ive go to be more aggresive as well with my terminators.

Another idea was

Terminators x 10 w. Psycannon x 2
Strike Squad x 6 w. Psycannon, Razorback w. Psybolt Ammo

Purgation Squad x 6 w.4 x Psycannon

Edited by ja_147, 21 May 2013 - 08:58 AM.

Justicar Enethys

Justicar Enethys

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 147 posts

It all depends on how you want to run the list mate. If you feel you'll get more fire support out of the Purgation squad then go for it. I just have an issue with Fire 'Support' units that can only shoot 24". Granted - they pack a lot of Psycannon goodness and don't even need LOS! - but when your other units require assistance up front - and the Purgation Squad aren't up front because sitting still is what they do best - it strikes me as counter productive. They can move of course. But moving they are only snap-firing. OK - so it's still 8 Psycannon shots using the assault profile, but this isn't the best use of points. 

Give it a go and let me know how you get on mate :) I do like the idea of a Purgation Squad, but as they are our Devastator equivalent, I'd have been MUCH happier if their 'Astral Aim' allowed them another 12" due to farsight/advanced targetting systems etc etc. Psycannons at 36" - THAT's fire support.

Blood Scorpion

Blood Scorpion

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 390 posts
Hi, reading this thread has got me thinking and I am wondering if the Strike Squads are too much of a point sink for what they will do, i.e. hide. You may be better off taking Coteaz and some dirt cheap acolytes as you originally planned but put them in Psybacks to give the Terminators and Dreadknights some fire support. I also like the idea of taking 3 NDKs in 1850 point games, whilst 2 have done well for you, 3 will be simply too much for some armies to cope with.

How about something like this?

Coteaz
3 x Acolyte in Psyback
3 x Acolyte in Psyback
3 x Acolyte in Psyback
10 x Terminator with 2 Psycannons and Psybolt Ammo
10 x Intercepter with 2 Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo and Hammer on Justicar
NDK with Heavy Incinerator, Sword, Teleporter

Don't worry too much about the lack of troops as you've got plenty of Fast Attack and Heavy Support. In 2 of the missions you don't need troops, 1 of the missions the Interceptors will be scoring and 1 of the missions your 3 Dreaknights will be scoring! In the other 2 missions you just need to try to hide the Acolytes whilst the rest of your army gets in their face. In games you expect to be close, reserve the Psybacks and make sure you get First Blood with the shunt strike, Linebreaker should also be easy if they fail to kill all 3 Dreadknights.

Coteaz can take 2 powers so may get something that will help the Terminators as well as re-roll to hit. He can also cast the re-roll to hit on the Intercepters before they shunt forward, making them hit very hard against the right target. It may be worth holding back the shunts a turn though (especially if you have the cover of night fighting turn 1) and then the Psybacks and Terminators can be in position to support the turn 2 stike.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Blood Scorpion, 13 June 2013 - 10:29 PM.