Help with a character please (added the Iron Father)

What follows is some fluff for my DIY character.

Demus, 8th Captain, Sons of Creightos.

Demus grew up a herdsman in the foothills of the Polar mountains on the chapter's homeworld. As a young age he displayed a strength far beyond that of the average man. He was known among his native folk for killing a lion and a bear with nothing more than an oak bough .

Demus was initially refused as an aspirant, the apothecaries believing him to be too old. The chapter's chief librarian assured them that Demus was a "son of much promise". Demus grew to be an imposing man, with a cool, taciturn demeanor and dark eyes that burned with unspoken fury.

The physical strength Demus possessed as a young aspirant was amplified by the geneseed and his years of service. He many times proved to surpass the strength of any of his brothers as well as many a xenos beast and traitor marine.

Demus served with distinction in the chapter's fourth company for many years. Eventually rising to the rank of sergeant. His immense physical strength saw him often at the vangaurd of assaults. It was during his years as a linebreaker that Demus' came to personify the chapter's ideal of unyielding fury, many times surviving wounds that left the apothecaries stunned. Demus' nature and physical feats soon saw him elevated to captain, awarded command of the 8th company.

As captain of the chapter's assault reserve Demus has shown a preference for tactics that he used as a boy protecting his family's herds. Using cover, maneuver and surprise the 8th company have many times struck a death blow against seemingly superior enemies. Among the 8th company's ambushes Demus is most often at the fore, wielding a graceful relic sword that has been carried by every 8th captain from the chapter's founding. It is said the blade Demus now bares was forged by the primarch Ferrus Manus himself. Though some dismiss this as simple myth there is no doubt that the weapon is unique as it does not behave as most power weapons. When engaged the blade burns red hot as if just withdrawn from the fire of its forging. Nothing yet has been shown able to withstand the honed edge of the "Burning Blade".

I would like some input on rules and stats for this guy.

I've got some ideas swimming in my head but I keep changing them so I would appreciate your thoughts to help me get some further direction. What I have so far is this.

1. You'd rather not get in CC with this guy, he'll break your face, and your tank, and your monsters.

2. Is uniquely hard to kill.( a.e. doesn't have fancy armor and a big shield to protect him but is still harder than a standard captain)

3. Sneaky marines! Infiltrating assault marines, but not that Raven Guard guy.

I dont have my BRB or notes handy ATM but here is a stat line I had in mind.

WS BS S T W I A LD SV
6 5 6 6 4 5 3 10 3

"Son of Promise" some special rule I haven't begun to formulate, but it sounds cool.

"Unyielding Fury" see above

Wargear
The Burning Blade
Str user AP 3 something, something, "Work of the Gorgon's Hands" yet another cool name but I have no idea what it does!

• 3 months later...

It is my opinion that the Strength and Toughness stats are too high, even if you want to give him a higher stat line in those areas. Calgar and Lysander are still both S4 T4, only character in C:SM with a higher stat than that is Cassius with S4 T6 because he is basically a walking zombie kept alive by his hate LOL. If you want to push fluff on this guy and say he's half Ogren or something (I jest), the max you should push his S&T stat is 5

So I'm thinking:

6 5 5 5 4 5 3 10 3+

Son of Promise - Chapter tactics that grants Infiltrate to his squad

Unyielding Fury - His strength allows him to wield his relic plade as a one-handed weapon and gains the +1A for a second melee weapon.

Wargear

Jump Pack - To go with your Assault Marines playstyle

Bolt Pistol
The Burning Blade - Relic Blade (S6 AP3)
"Work of the Gorgon's Hands" - Rending (I feel that this works well with the "glowing" part you had in your fluff)

Just my first swipe at it, but it still seems pretty OP. He's going to be expensive. He has +1S, +1T, +1W than a standard Captain. A weapon that has the benefits of a Sword and Mace and Rending.

Unlike Shadow Captain Shrike, which is sneaky and uses claws like a bird; this guy comes at you ala Conan the Barbarian style.

Given you're talking about a S6 relic blade anyway - his characteristic increase to S5 would be mostly irrelevant. Why not just give him Eternal Warrior and then leave both stats at 4? Would be a bit simpler, and he still walks away from a power fist to the face...

Son of promise - borrow/alter a rule from Brother Captain Stern: 1 re-roll a game (of anything he does), but the enemy gets one too for a character of theirs if you use yours (so if you dont have to use yours then it cant backfire on you, but if you do have to use yours, then teh enemy gets a re-roll too to counterbalance slightly so shouldnt unbalance the game enough to have to faff about with trying to cost-balance it).

Burning blade - whether a primarch-forged weapon or not, it is supremely well-balanced and a marvel of the armourers art - this relic Blade does not suffer from being a two-handed weapon.

• 1 month later...

HQ DEMUS CAPTAIN OF THE 8TH
Demus 6 5 4 4 3 5 3 10 3+

250 points

⦁ 1 Demus (unique)

⦁ Jump Infantry

⦁ Power armor
⦁ Iron halo
⦁ Jump Pack
⦁ The Gorgon's Fang
⦁ Bolt Pistol
⦁ Frag grenades
⦁ Krak grenades

⦁ And They Shall Know No Fear
⦁ Independent Character
⦁ Son of Promise
⦁ Unyielding Fury

Warlord Trait: Master of Maneuver

Son of Promise: Demus has the Eternal Warrior and It Will Not Die USRs.

Unyielding Fury: Demus' melee attacks have the Rending USR.

The Gorgon's Fang: The Gorgon's Fang is a master crafted relic blade of such exceptional artifice that it does not suffer from being a two handed weapon. The Gorgon's Fang allows bonus attacks from an additional melee weapon.

Demus is an HQ selection.

I like the background material for Demus, but I think 200 is still too cheap, here's my reasoning: (points increase is my opinion, from 185)

Gorgan's fang gains +2 strength and rending on all attacks, whereas Sicarius only gains his melee weapons special rules on a single attack. Also the way it is worded implies Demus gains rending on his shooting attacks too. Is that intentional? (+30-40)

Although Sicarius has FNP, Demus has Eternal Warrior and IWND, while could still potentially receive FNP through a command squad. (+20)

While they both have RoB, Demus doesn't seem like a leader, more like a killer as Mannyu78 mentioned.

Master of Manoeuvre. Not quite sure what that does but I'm guessing its better than Furious Charge on one turn for one unit only. (+5?)

That leaves Battle Forged Heroes and Surprise Attack against your jump pack, not quite a fair comparison but the jump pack allows you to make use of your other abilities, while Sicarius' are situational. (+10)

Considering Shrike is also the same price as Sicarius, but has fewer USR, I think a price of 250 points minimum is what you're looking at as he may even stand a good chance of wiping the floor with Lord Draigo, who is only <em>really</em> effective with an apothecary, alone costing the same as a command squad with an apothecary.

[edit] Text editor messing with me (again)

Another character for my Sons of Creightos chapter.

The Iron Father

The Iron Father is the title given to the high chaplain of the Sons of Creightos chapter astartes. Upon taking the title it is the only name by which he is then known, his previous name then forgotten, stricken from record and remembrance. The title born during the chapters darkest time. In a bitter war to liberate their home world from an invasion by forces of the dark mechanicus and chaos marines the Sons of Creightos commanders came to understand that traitors among their own brotherhood had enabled the invasion. One of the chapters remaining chaplains took upon himself the rooting out of the remaining traitors and putting them to the sword.
With the chapter home world secure and the faithless purged the chaplain led the chapter on a long and brutal campaign of redemption to "temper their hearts and forge anew their faith". When the remnant of the chapter returned from the campaign it was as a chapter born anew, with fury unyielding and faith as iron. The man at their head was a chaplain, then known as the Father of Iron, redeemer of the faithful, lord of chaplains and the master of sanctity. From those dark days on the man at the head of the chapter cult has given up his name and been called only by the title "Iron Father".

The Iron Father

WS5 BS5 S4 T4 W3 I5 A3 Ld10 2+

Infantry (character)

Wargear: Totally awesome suit of relic armor that does some totally awesome stuff. Really looking for something outside the box here.

Misericorde: The very same axe that was used by the first Father of Iron to purge the chapter after the sacking of their homeworld by chaos forces. Thinking of giving this something similar to the Dark Angels' "Bane of Traitor" rule and the dual profile of the "Mace of Absolution".

I'm also looking to give a larger buff than just the Zealot rule that chaplains carry.

• 1 month later...

Okay so substitute Zealot for Preferred Enemy(X) or give him a badass rule that makes him beyond what a usual chaplain, have him become a character head hunter

I would consider also Chaplains rarely deviate from their symbol of office which is a Crozius Arcanum -  Thulsa Kane -  High Chap of the Executioners has a mega-croz which is S6 AP2 but is also unwieldy. You could give him a Two Hand Crozius which is Master Crafted and has the Smash USR

In terms of a crazy suit of Artificer Armour I would be very careful as to what you give him. I refer to Kane once more as he is one of the few big bad chaplains in the game. His suit of armour gives him Eternal Warrior which in truth makes him terrifying. I would consider maybe not giving him uber armour, but allow him to take a specific style of squad to operate with. Kane can take Honour Guard, so maybe worth something in with the type of squad you would him to be with.

Archived