The art of sisters

Dread

So I have been looking around the net and have noticed sooooo much sisters artwork. Some is beautiful, some not so much but it is the shear amount of artwork popping up on the net that makes me wonder if anybody at GW reads the forums and can see how beloved the army is. With how the new dex's are coming out, you'd think they would use the $10 magazine for more than a catalog. It's bad enough that the SoB are a thin scribble but to not do at least an update to bring not just the sisters but other armies that need some tweeking, to bring them inline with the ones getting new stuff.

Oops, this wasn't supposed to be a rant but an observation and *wink* get GW to notice the great art being done in the SoB name. And not just art but beautiful conversions as well.

i do find it a bit worrying how much of said artwork is of..... how to say..... a certain nature. i think gw probably worry about that as well

but yeah there is allot of proper, very nice artwork out there, probably more than allot of other armies. maybe its because they are an easy army to do that sort of thing for, i mean orks don't really lend themselves to that kind of thing

There's also a lot of innacuracies and arses though. I asked why a particular artist had drawn a Sister with a barred I instead of the Chaplet Ecclesiasticus, and got the reply;

"Oh, you must be a nerd. Goodbye." and got comment blocked.

Because the models have the =I= on it.  That being said, as far as the rant about the codex's, well they are working on several codex's at the same time, from what I remember they are often working on 4 40k codex's and 4 fantasy army books at the same time being written by different writers, however they tend to have to wait on models to be finished, as well as the codex before they can push them into the release schedule.   Sometimes their are hiccups with rules testing, or maybe they don't play as well as intended, or their are issues with the models.  From what I remember, the sisters had some issues with some of the models, if they are going to do them in plastic, they want to try to retain the beauty of the original models, that being said, they would exactly be the easiest to do in plastic with all the cloth and robes, to make them poseable and less static.   However that was years ago, and I also heard they have the sisters finished, so I guess they are now simply having issues with trying to expand and build a better army around the sisters, with new units that fit the fluff.  Their is no telling what the hold up is, but they have said they are going to have them all released  and updated and that no army that has a current codex will be removed or gone the way of the squats.  

So that in and of itself is comforting, but lets face it, current codex's that have had regular updates like marines and nids, are easier and quicker to updated, plus marines are their biggest seller, so I can see why they once again get an update before other badly needed armies are. 

As for white dwarf, well I will be honest, it has always been a glorfied catalog.  They give painting guides from time to time, but its a supposed magazine that is designed to simply showcase their models, more specifically their new models.  Their battle reports have always been about making the new army seem good, rather than being accurate, as the white dwarf that had the sisters mini dex, the army he was fielding wasn't accurate because they took a dominion squad with 4 flamers in a 5 man unit, when the rules just nerfed that down to 2 per 5.   Anyways, the price hike of the magazine has simply gone in stride with GW's yearly price hikes, however they haven't added any new or better content to their magazine and in just under a decade it has doubled in price, but now with half the quality of content.

As for the art work, yes their is a lot of sisters artwork, but their is alot more marine artwork out their.  Their are tons of inaccuracies, and alot more manga sisters than I personally care to see, especially when the 40k universe is suppose to be all dark and gothic in nature.   That being said, their is a great love for this army, and it is sad that GW hasn't gone ahead and released new models and new rules for us in a proper codex.  Under the current state, we have a codex that isn't in its own book, can't be picked up by anyone walking into a local hobby store, and our models are direct order only, still made of metal when everything else has gone to finecast, and is as expensive as finecast or higher.  So how can GW expect to make money off this army if it is the hardest one to come by some of the oldest models.  If they want to sell the army, from a buisiness stand point it would make more sense to release newer up to date models, with better accessibility in their stores and other retailers, so new players can join in on the all power armored girls army that originaly got me playing the game back in 97 to begin with.  

I'm not sure what's worse the majority of internet art or the artist reaction to criticism. That said a lot of people don't understand what criticism really is but that's no excuse to explode at all and sundry.

My favourite is the sisters on the cathedral steps, that's exactly how I like my Sister pictures :smile.: If only there was more like it!

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e317/tacotheif/1240448380342.jpg

This is by far my favourite fan-made Sister of Battle artwork. For me, this one is up there with the Karl Kopinski Sister art.

Edited by Battle-Brother Ludovic

That's a really great piece, Ludovic. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm glad that you appreciate it :) Edited by Battle-Brother Ludovic

That's a really great piece, Ludovic. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm glad that you appreciate it :smile.:

That's the kind of picture I like to see.  It evokes the feeling that she's just finished a battle or just about to begin one.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll62/DeathbyDread/ipad_20270_warhammer_40k_zps6b5d328b.jpg

This is my favorite. Was my background for a long while. Just love the no BS stance she is in.

Also thanks for sharing your favorites too.

Edited by Dread

Yeah, that is a lovely piece of artwork (among my top 10-ish), but I still prefer the one I've shown :tongue.:

Maybe, but his was officially licenced so has a considerably greater chance appearing in the next codex.

Yeah, that is a lovely piece of artwork (among my top 10-ish), but I still prefer the one I've shown :tongue.:

Maybe, but his was officially licenced so has a considerably greater chance appearing in the next codex.

Can't deny that ;)

RookBartly: Well, I'm glad to see that there's more fans of that piece! Have you got any close-ups of your version, please?

this is one of my favorite pieces of sister art.  it was done by Kekai Kotaki, who also was the lead concept artist for guild wars 2, but this image was done for the cover art for Book of Martyrs, part of the Dark Heresy RPG series.  

http://www.kekaiart.com/uploads/5/4/7/6/5476798/9681126_orig.jpg

Edited by Brother Tyler
Hot-linked image turned into a link.

Ill have to upload it when I get home.

EDIT: Midnight Angel, you've just reminded me of this incredible piece of artwork from the same book (I think).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8112/8657735395_244a9e9b27_b.jpg

I love the hooded Sisters in the background and the artist's style. Very mysterious and moody piece.

Edited by Battle-Brother Ludovic

Ill have to upload it when I get home.

EDIT: Midnight Angel, you've just reminded me of this incredible piece of artwork from the same book (I think).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8112/8657735395_244a9e9b27_b.jpg

I love the hooded Sisters in the background and the artist's style. Very mysterious and moody piece.

That is awesome :) almost as good as the classic 'to kill a rainbow warrior' picture ;)