Orks and Eldar in the Heresy

Maybe not officially in one of a future books, but they where around and the Legions did fight them.  I believe it is more of a stop the questions before they are asked.  Even Nids can be used to represent some random local 'monster' that a Legion has to clear out. 

Maybe not officially in one of a future books, but they where around and the Legions did fight them.  I believe it is more of a stop the questions before they are asked.  Even Nids can be used to represent some random local 'monster' that a Legion has to clear out. 

And I am fairly sure Stealers were already around at that point.

While looking through Betrayal this evening I noticed on page 284, apocalypse rules appendix, there are rules clarifications on Ork power fields and Eldar void shields.

Does this mean Orks and Eldar have a role to play in the Heresy?

Yes, Orks, Eldar, Dark Eldar, Necrons - all those who have existed then. And Imperial Guard aka Imperial Army. 

The FAQ for betrayal mentions that the legion astartes list is perfectly compatible with GW lists.  The only item is that you may need to scale up the unit sizes. So you could use codex orks or codex eldar to represent a xenos force during the great crusade/horus heresy

The method FW would prefer you use is that in battles bigger the 1500pts you let the ork or eldar play use the Age of Darkness FOC in you HH book to build their army. In larger games this will include the use of some supper heavies and supped up characters too.

I really don't think they need to release anything.  The legion lists are designed and balanced to fight other marines.  I have yet to have a problem playing my Legion list against a 40k list and have either of us want to change anything besides the outcome.  I've lost just as many as I have won. 

Legion lists are not Space Marines with larger squad size, far from it. They have different rules that compensate for the 20 man squads and are a weakness against 40k lists.  The most I see is a FAQ for conflicts/interactions between rules. 

I think they want to have some different rules for the orks though. This would be to represent their limited contact with Imperial technology, whom most of thier 40k tech is based off. So during the heresy, Ork titans wouldn't look as they do now, their dred things won't look like they do now etc. also orks are apparently a lot bigger as they are the dominant species in much of the galaxy. Or so I read somewhere, have no solid sources.

Orks loot everyone's technology, not just the (then) nacent Imperiums.  Also remember, that mankind had successfully spread to the stars before the great crusade... Orks no doubt had faced man before.  I doubt ork tech has changed in any meaningful way since they lost the brainboys.

But they hadn't faced space marines and their power armour and dreadnaughts and terminator armour and Primarchs., And the titans etc... Anyway where I read it (possibly the first expedition) sounded a lot more convincing then what I can say, especially the reason they were bigger.

But now you are creating a 30k Ork list and will have the pressure from the non-30k players wanting the cool toys the 30k people get.  Much like now we have 40k players wanting 30k heavy weapons for their 40k armies.

Much less headache for FW. I can see maybe more model options that can be used in both settings, but not entire lists.

The Predator tank was developed by man as a direct response to its first encounters with orks. Nearly everything that the Imperuim uses except the SM themselves was invented before the age of strife. Gargants are models after the Ork gods, not imperial Titans and the Eldar have been using Titans for millions of years. Personally I think the current Ork dex lacks that whole looted tech flavor and to me just feels incomplete but that what we have right now.

Well said Raven!

Edit: I believe this goes for most armies.  There could be so much done to keep people out of the rut most codex push people in.  Just take the Chapter Tactics rules...so much potential not used to easily represent the thousands of codex chapters.  Same for every army I can think of.

Probably. Maybe they will do something like the war boss of Ullanor who might have similar stats to a Primarch. I realise I'm just speculating now by it would be cool to see some unique units or characters but I agree a whole list would be a bit much.

But we'll leave them alone (for now) since they're xenos. If they ever make an appearance and if there is an Imperium-/Chaos-centric aspect of discussion in which they might have some context, we might allow some discussion on them. That, of course, will depend upon the nature of their role(s) in the Horus Heresy, which the Black Library and Forge World have yet to reveal (other than what we already know of the Cabal, etc.).

Archived