ETL Vow 2013 for pbenner

Pbenner

We are quickly growing into the strategy of this little game.  A few things I've seen;

Characters are the best value for points per-model.  Anything that is seriously elite.  While you could easily go through and paint a mess of characters, an army is not a mess of characters.  

My vows will be focused mainly on two things;

1) I need to get new Sargent Models that are unique enough to assure that Characters are easily recognizable.  While I can only paint 1 Powersword + Stormbolter model for each unit, I will be looking at at least (2) 10 man units of Deathwing Terminators.

2) I have a whole mess of Dreadnoughts that need painted and assembled. These are a lot of surface area, and will be a good boost of points once I get these, but these will be a reward for getting through some of the "meat" of the army.

3) I have Three Chaplains that need painted, and these will come through in later vows.  

4) The Five Vow limit really makes me think about things.  No more single model vows for a quick points unless it's your last one before the end.  I've mapped out what I think I can do overall for painting.  Five Vows are going to be tough, but if I get through the first two, the last three will be a lot faster to get through.  

Pictures and my first vow to be copied into here tonight.  Will probably have time to get some Bleached Bone (Or Ushabti Bone) onto those ten tonight!

Best,

Paul

And here we go, pre-work image of these models.  These are primed and ready to get started on painting.

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/20130516_165255_zps16177acb.jpg

Best,

Paul

Threw down some Bleached Bone tonight, need to do a touch up coat yet.  A few more colors and then onto the metallics.  Down hill from there.  

Best,

Paul

I use the Krylon White, because Grey really makes the Bone Color look funky, and the Black is far too dark.  Krylon has given me a really nice surface to put paint on without running out too much detail.  

I good heave wash of Sepia really darkens them up though, as does using the darker metallic paints with a Mud wash to color their recesses.  

Best,

Paul

The cape I wanted to use for the Sergeant was not primed, so I had to stop to prime it today before switching to green.  Bone has gotten it's second coat to make sure I've gotten everything covered.  

Because it's not practical to prime one thing, I went ahead and prepared everything for Vow #2 to be coming up next and primed them along with the cape in question.  ^_^

While waiting for paint to dry today, I worked on putting stuff together for Vow #3, which may or may not happen, but it was all trimed/cleaned/etc already, so now it's just primed as well.  (at least half of that vow is!!)

I'm going to need to go out and buy a DW Command Squad Box to wrap up anything else, but we're still painting steadily.

Best,

Paul

First Vow, Complete!

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/20130520_221029_zps3d410c6c.jpg

Second Vow, Pre-paint picture below:

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/20130520_221557_zps7950a98c.jpg

Will post actual vow in thread.

Best,

Paul

I will try to do that in the next couple of days.  My painting isn't great, my hands aren't steady, so a decent Tabletop Standard is the most I can usually hope for.  

One of  the Assault Cannons is a converted Space Wolf belt-fed model.  I shaved the Wolf off of it, and just made it a guard.  Isn't the best I've done, but it's passable.  

Best,

Paul

Last night was pretty successful, I accomplished getting first coat of bleached bone on most of the bodies. Need to wrap up and do arms tonight. With any luck I will get first coats done and move onto second coat tonight.

I have built and primed most of vow three. Need a few bits to arrive but the are on their way.

Here is to trying to set the pace.

Paul

Put down as much Bone as I could this evening before my eyes gave out.  I'm all done with the bodies and about halfway done with arms.  Then will need to do touchups on the bone before moving onto the other colors.  Once this is done, should be most of the way there.  

Since Vow III is only waiting for some bits and to be primed, I opted to make sure Vow IV was in order.  To be honest I've been working on this one for the last few days, but I had mis-placed the two of the chaplains that will be part of it.  Oddly enough these chaplains are "rescues" - badly painted, unbased, glue piled on, etc.  They soaked in acetone for a couple of days and then I took dental picks to clean off all the green stuff.  When I got to the bottom, they looked pretty good.  

Then, since I didn't like the default Stormbolter option they came with, and I had the bits to do it, I took two of the metal Combi-Plasma from the Librarian blister and pinned/glued them on, so they've even got a personal touch.  :D

Stressful to think they were lost.  

This weekend is a 3 day weekend, and I'm not doing anything for the Holiday, so I expect to be having vow II done before then, and possibly working on vow III.

Best,

Paul

Here we go.  Good Camera is currently without batteries, so these are Cell Phone Pictures - I'll bring out the good one when I find the charger.

Front

Side

Back

Side

My painting skills are not the best, but I never claim to be great, only table-top+ standard.  

I haven't painted anything tonight, but that Bleached Bone is calling me.  I picked up some more white primer for future vows, as well as some Black Primer for the same reason.  

Vow III is currently waiting on Bits from Ebay - Coming from Overseas, but that's fine, they'll be here soon.  I've cleaned (Resin needs a bath) and pinned the larger models for Vow IV,  they only require a small amount of pre-assembly before being primed, and all the smaller ones are ready to go for priming too.  

I ordered what I needed for Vow V today from the FLGS, should be here in plenty of time.  

Best,

Paul

Well,

Finished up the prep for Vow IV last night.  I switched blades in my Exacto Knife, and it never fails, I cut the crap out of myself.  Probably should have gotten a stitch or two, but I had Super Glue.  Need to prime those parts tonight, and then Vow IV is done.

Vow II got the rest of the first coat of bleached bone.  Touchups should be tonight, and then the other colors will follow.  

Hopefully my Vow III bits arrive early next week (I can get started, but I won't be able to start where I want to.)

Best,

Paul

Paul, sounds like you are really cruising! Awesome job! Don't slam your own painting skills too much, you've done a fine job, better than many I've seen (assuming they are even using painted models) at the FLGS. I really like that belt fed assault cannon conversion, great job!

I was wondering if there is a way to combine that belt feed and the back end of that cannon with the front of a DA cannon. What do you think?

Awesome use of the super-glue stitch, I've done several of the same myself!

Keep it up!

Bryan,

Thanks for the kind words.  I guess I'm just a little gun-shy after a semi-recent PM I received from a member here.  Was a pretty rough blow to my fragile painting ego.  I plan on continuing to cook with gas on this one.  I expect to have Vow II done by Monday (since it's a holiday) and then to move onto the next Vow.  I can start part of it without waiting on the bits, but I want to do that part first, so we'll see where things fall.

In regards to that conversion, I have put a shout-out to my buddy who plays Wolves exclusivly to see if he has another of those bits.  I think he does.  I will look into the conversion, but it might work.  The only problem I see is that the SW one has a guard that goes up and over the hand, and the one I want to modify doesn't, but I think I can make it work pretty well.  

Super Glue is the win for emergency medical aid.  I pushed through last night after the incident and got all the Aquilas off the parts I was working on, and I have replaced them with DA Symbols.  I will be priming them tonight.  

Here is to hoping for the best.

Paul

Well Bryan,

You may get to see the Bastardized Assault Cannon yet.  I hope the tech-priests aren't too mad at me for "self modificating" my own weapons... haha.  

I'm taking a break with about half the bleached bone touchups done, and then I'll move onto the DA Green (which only covers about 5% of the surface area that Bone color does, so it'll go fast) and then the other minor non-metallic colors.  Then onto Metallics, such fun.  

I got all the stuff that needs to be primed black from Vow IV done, it's finishing it's final cure.  Luckily black is good at covering up the blood that got absorbed into the resin, but if they ever get stolen, I guess they're DNA tagged.  

I'm chomping at the bit to get the rest of the stuff for Vow III in - I don't want to start with the large pieces of that vow, but I may have to, and then come back to the smaller stuff, we'll see if they get here by the time I'm ready to start.  

Keep on rolling :D

Paul

Well,

Family calls me away from the paint station today, so I will probably not get a lot done, but Vow II should be done tomorrow (yey!).  Then I'll move onto getting Vow III going - Since I want to paint on Monday, I may go ahead and start with the larger pieces first.  They'll be fun, but I'll need to maintain focus to make it through with what I want to get done, especially with the Black Chumplars mocking us.  

Last night I tried my hand at bending some FW resin that was warped, and it went pretty well, all things told.  I'm still hesitant to do the same with the Storm Eagles I have laying here in pieces, but I will do it eventually.  They're in need of too much work to make it into an ETL Vow, but I will get them worked through soon.

Hope everyone has brushes going through the weekend!

Best,

Paul

Don't let any nay-sayers get you down Paul, I think your terminators are very good. Bone/white is not an easy colour to paint but you're cranking out more than respectable-looking models at an incredible speed. thumbsup.gif

Your belt-fed assault cannon could well start a trend. I know I'll be keeping an eye out for those parts even though I have more assault cannons than I can feasibly use at one time.

I don't think that I was the first to convert one to another Army, but I haven't seen one done before that I can remember.  It's not a bad conversion  and all you need is a sharp hobby knife and a decent flat file.  When I start on the next one I'll take pictures to attempt to illustrate what I mean.

At the rate that I am going, I should wrap up (provided I have all the parts; I need to make another FW Order) well in advance of the close of the competition.  

Spent the morning doing some assembly on Vow V stuff, which is a slow process.  For some reason, the FW resin I'm working with doesn't like the glue I'm using - taking about 3-4x as long to cure.  Oh well.  It works eventually and is strong.  

Best,

Paul

I am on track to finish Vow II today, but I am remembering how much I hate painting lightning claws.  Oh well.

Working on the first of the metallic colors now - will need to finish those up, do touch ups, and wash them and we'll be good to go.  Vow III is sitting on my desk mocking me right now, so hopefully I'll be working on half of it tonight and tomorrow.

Best,

Paul

Ack!

Details and what not took much longer than expected, so I am down to needing to do the major wash - I did the darker wash on the weapons, but this should be done first thing in the AM.  Then onto Vow III.  

Paul

Vow II - COMPLETE!

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/photobucket-44604-1369665649775_zps9556956d.jpg

Vow III - 

I, pbenner, vow to paint, (3) Three Mortis Pattern Contemptor Dreadnoughts with Dual Las Cannons and Cyclone Missile Launchers, and a 10 man terminator squad as detailed below on or before Aug 15th, 2013.  Should I fail, I will do proper penance in Chamber 42 and wear the badge of shame until the Master of Recruits release me from punishment;

Sargeant w/Powersword and Stormbolter
Lightning Claws and Cyclone Missile Launcher
Lightning Claws and Cyclone Missile Launcher
Thunderhammer and Stormshield
Chainfist and Stormbolter

Total Point Value: 1185

Best,