Cambrius' ETL II Thread: Sons of Doom + Vanquishers!

Well, out of the shadows of the Librarium Painting challenge's Failure, I have emerged once more to answer the call of the Dark Angels and to uphold the honour of the LIBER ASTARTES!

Thus, I, Brother Cambrius answer the call of E TENEBRAE LUX and vow to complete ONE 10 man Vanguard Squad (Sons of Doom) + 1 Terminator Squad (Vanquishers) from Codex: Space Marines of total value 610 points on or before August 15th. Success will bring eternal glory to the Sons of Doom and the Vanquishers and failure will doom me to bear the Badge of Shame until the year-end.

So, here we go then. Naturally, as with almost all my non Tactical Dreadnougth Armoured veterans, my Vanguard are completely kitbashed/custom built models, rather than the ones that GW already provide, to add a unique and one of a kind flavour to them. I've spliced a lot of bits from the Death Company sprues, especially the chainswords and body parts on some. I really love the looks of them and painting them's going to be a real pleasure with all the lovely detail and iconography I can add.

Each Vanguard veteran will also be given a name and small backstory, as I'm a sucker for some character fluff, so here are the 2 parts of my Vanguard Squad:

Subsquad Torrano:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/HairyGoggles/WH40K/WIPVanguard1_zps48408f26.png

Subsquad Rhedlaf:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/HairyGoggles/WH40K/WIPVanguard2_zpsb5f1531c.png

The Terminator Squad is taken from the old AOBR set, with an added Heavy Flamer into the mix and they'll be wearing the purple and silver colours of my other DIY Chapter, the Vanquishers. I intend to add some chainsword bits onto some Power fists to make them Chainfists, alas the Librarium Article on how to do this is unavailable, so I'm going to be winging it...ph34r.png

Thus, here his Squad Cadarn:

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u217/HairyGoggles/WH40K/WIPTermies1_zps37085bbc.png

And that's it for now, just need to add some extra bitz on a few models and add some extra undercoat and they're ready to be painted! Wish me luck Brothers and Sisters of the B&C! Let's get this vow in the bag!

If anyone wants to see some close up shots of some of my custom Vanguard, feel free to ask and I'll post some fresh piccies up. smile.png

Cambrius

Thanks gents!

@ furioso: Good to know that my work is being scrutinised to ensure it is the best by your Tetra Army. ;)

@ Razblood: The stories of my demise were overly exaggerated. :P I've just been locked away in one of the deepest inner sanctums of the Liber Astartes' Heraldry Department until recently, seeking penance for my LPC failure, without a Librarium to work on atoning my sins. ;)

My Vanguard have started to get some early base layers on, I'll get a pic up soon of their blue and brown basecoating soon!

Cambrius

• 2 weeks later...

Well about time for an update from me. I'm happy to report progress with the Vanguard, who have now all been given their initial basecoats of blue and brown (when the bronze is added on top, it ensures a smooth appearance):

gallery_26154_4148_677180.png

I still need to paint the bases grey before I start applying the typical darker blue and bronze of my Sons of Doom.

With regards to my Terminators, not much has progressed since I last posted, I still need to add some custom chainfists onto two of the miniatures using the numerous spare chainswords I have. I hope to get some work on them done soon!

Cambrius

• 2 weeks later...

Update time! The Terminators have been given their initial metallic base coats and I've now kitbashed 2 Chainfists onto the Heavy Flamer and a Storm Bolter wielding Terminator. I'll be getting the dark blue/Purple mix base paint on later on today for the purple armoured areas. I intend to give them Bronze helmets, to represent their Veteran status as white would easily blend in with the normal silver of standard line Marines.

gallery_26154_4148_198491.png

And this is how they'll look when fully painted:

gallery_26154_1503_15193.jpg

And now onto my Vanguard, which are proving to be quite the challenge to paint because of the amount of details etc on them thanks to the Death Company sprue kit I bought ages ago. But they've now had their regal blue and tin bitz layers put on and now it'll be onto detail work with gold, white and highlighting. Hopefully next time I'll post, you'll be able to see their eyes and grills. laugh.png

Thus we have Subsquad Torrano:

gallery_26154_4148_741591.png

And finally Subsquad Rhedlaf:

gallery_26154_4148_416065.png

That's all for now, Hopefully I might just have these guys completed by this weekend's ending if the Gods of fate and timings are merciful. I already have my next Vows lined up ready when I do finish too, including a counts As Sicarius Model and a Landspeeder.

Cambrius

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's been an insanely long delay, but after obtaining some purple basecoat paint (the old Hormagaunt Purple) and breaking out of my idleness, I've got back to the painting grindstone and have made some good headway on my Vanquisher Terminators:

gallery_26154_4148_800812.png

They'll soon be at the same level of completion as my vanguard, so I can then work on them both together when it comes to detailing and more.

More to come soon folks, any comments/ideas/crit is greatly welcomed! :)

Cambrius

Archived