ETL II - WarriorFish's Tanks

EDIT: due to the B&C going down during the ETL some posts with updates were lost, chiefly the Vendetta ones. They have since been re-uploaded to page three.

As promised, here is my ETL WIP topic (source vow). It was nice to have a free weekend (and I was only slightly hungover on Saturday) so I've managed to get quite a lot done (praise the Omnissiah). Here are four of the tanks, dry assembled for completeness:

gallery_30308_3239_12404.jpg

This is the state of the Vendetta, somewhat less to show despite the time spent on it but it is definitely a kit to assemble and paint in parts. That's not to mention the occasional questionable nature of the instructions and kit... Anyway, just another quick picture to prove my start :smile.:

gallery_30308_3239_23037.jpg

I get the feeling maybe I'm missing a step by doing models from scratch but I reckon I've caught up nicely now. If you're wondering where the other Chimera is she's currently drying from the undercoat. Like the Hellhound she's an old school model, it was a nice bit of nostalgia at first but quickly wore off after what felt like the 100th wheel :tongue.:

I've elected to magnetise the models too, so there's technically also a Hellhound/Bane Wolf and Demolisher/Punisher too (maybe I should have decided sooner, my vow is missing out on a whole 10 points! :laugh.: ). Some of the GS holding the magnets is still curing so I'll take some pictures of them and the missing Chimera when I next get the chance. I'm also planning on magnetising the Vendetta, which will be using the Forge World upgrade kit.

Edited by WarriorFish

Here we go, I even got as far as most of the first green coat tonight as well:

gallery_30308_3239_10590.jpg

II'll finish the magnetising for the armour when I get a decent block of time and post a few pictures up in case anyone is interested. I'm not sure if I should batch paint them or not, despite my love of tanks I've never painted so many at once before!

Edit: image re-uploaded

Edited by WarriorFish

Hmm, it's still in my gallery but the image isn't showing any more. Thanks for letting me know Angel I'll upload it again tonight. I've not made much progress from the above as I'm gearing up for an Apocalypse game on Sunday and I'm doing some last bits on other models quick :smile.: A shame I couldn't add my ETL units to the roster!

I've got next week off so I intend to make a lot of progress then - after sleeping in of course :tongue.:

I'll have you know I earned every minute of this holiday :P

I've uploaded the image again and it looks like it is working :) I'll aim to update the topic again early next week with my progress, I may as well complete all the magnets before taking some snaps.

What's your vow? I didn't see it in the Imperial Guard section so I want to check your allegiance before I wish you luck :whistling:

Haha, I'm sure you have mate ;)

Yep I can see it now, looking good there, what scheme are you going for? Have you got a finished piece I can compare it with?

A wise move indeed, I'm part of the Pre-heresy lot, and an Iron Warrior to boot, so feel free to curse my name and doom me to failure! I check the IG forum as I have a small detachment of Guard I'm building as conscripts for my 40k Iron Warriors, and I like to look for tips on painting the vehicles.

You dastardly fiend! The pox on you and your vow! :laugh.: You've pledged quite a few points in PH miniatures so they should look pretty fancy when they're done, send me a PM with a link when you've started your WIP topic :smile.:

The vehicle scheme is pretty straight forward - solid green, very similar to the Cadian Chimera colours. Aquilas are white. I'm undecided on if I'll ever give them a camouflage scheme though. The Guardsmen have one but I don't think it will look good on vehicles.

My models are still all packed up from the Apoc game yesterday (a glorious Imperial victory, in case you were wondering :tongue.: ) so I won't be able to get any pictures until tomorrow but you've given me an idea. I may as well gather all bits and pieces together for pictures and hopefully I can get some pointers from the community to help me decide :smile.:

In that case let me know when you post your completion pictures. The day after the deadline would be grand, thanks :P

I've taken some quick snaps of a couple of models as well as the magnetised bits but unfortunately the B&C gallery is down currently. I'll try again later in the day, in the meantime I'll see how much more work I can get done on my vow :)

I've uploaded the images, first things first the update pictures:

The turret magnet was almost the same thickness as the plastic so was easy to line up. The hatch/power attaches using a cut down nail, makes for an easier fit and saves a magnet :smile.:

gallery_30308_3239_46822.jpg

Thanks to the two part nature of the guns drilling and filing a hole for the magnets was pretty simple, even more so for the Punisher Cannon as that's a simple GS filling.

gallery_30308_3239_25986.jpg

Drilling the mount was easy too, as it allowed for access from both sides which helped centralise the hole perfectly. Plenty of room to use the last of the mixed GS too :tongue.:

gallery_30308_3239_22848.jpggallery_30308_3239_30186.jpg

Hellhound bits, I've since cleaned the GS up on all bits to make sure the pieces fit perfectly. I didn't notice at the time but the connector bits are different lengths but it doesn't cause any issues as the magnet is powerful enough. I drove pin heads into the weapon bits after excavating a suitable hole for them which was a little time consuming but worth it.

gallery_30308_3239_11223.jpg

That's the WIP update done, here's some pictures of some models. Normal Guardsmen don't have the red shoulder pad but otherwise are the same, hopefully you can make out the camouflage pattern on them (3 colours).

Veteran Guardsman

gallery_30308_3239_6569.jpg

Here is one of the most "up to date" tanks, my Manticore. It reaped a good harvest during the Apoc game :smile.: I tried to get a close up picture with perhaps less than helpful results but you can definitely make out the general colour scheme :laugh.:

Manticore 1

gallery_30308_3239_53282.jpg

Manticore 2

gallery_30308_3239_63210.jpg

One of the problems I feel I've been having is that the highlighting never shows up in any pictures. So I've been musing on making it less subtle and the end result is this:

Green done on a Chimera

gallery_30308_3239_3864.jpg

I'm still trying to decide what to do, but it doesn't look bad. I've since glued the magnetised turrets ready for priming so I can get cracking on the painting. I think I might need another paint pot or two though...

If anyone could offer some ideas for a potential camouflage scheme that would be helpful, and suggestions for weathering are also welcome :smile.:

• 4 weeks later...

Just when you thought you were safe, I'm back with a small update to let you know I'm still working on my vow! Progress has been slower than I'd hoped thanks to work and illness at one point but not even Nurgle can stop me for long.

I've done most of the tanks now, just got to do some touching up after the washing then it's just a matter of highlighting the metals and doing the remaining details and lenses and they're all done! :biggrin.:

gallery_30308_3239_13788.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_11414.jpg

The daylight is almost non-existent but I'm hoping to get at least most of this done today, I'm eager to focus my attentions on the Vendetta.

Looking very good! Nice uniform colouring.

Did you decide on weathering? I'd recommend using a sponge and a very dark grey (perhaps then painting some Leadbelcher into the 'chips' with a fine brush) and I would definitely recommend picking up some Tamiya weathering powders as they're reasonable, very easy to use and are very effective.

Thanks Kier, I may not have the eyesight for detail but I can paint large flat surfaces well - not that I need any more excuses to paint tanks :tongue.:

Also thanks for the weathering tips, I've not given it much thought but I'll give that a go. What are the weathering powders like, do you have to seal them when you've finished? I've tried some weathering before but it failed, I think I made the metallic bits too large and they were overbearing so I'm aiming for something a bit more subtle.

I'm about to finish up for today but I'm pleased with my progress. After I've finished the scorch marks on some of the weapons I've just got to touch up the black and green and do the lenses :smile.:

gallery_30308_3239_2215.jpg

Having been looking at @Nevetz's Vendetta I can't wait to get back to work on mine!

I know some people do seal their weathering powders. I haven't (yet) and haven't had any great problem with them rubbing off. Most of the powder goes into crevices and the like -where we want it- and doesn't get rubbed off/out from there via day to day handling.

When I weathered my last tanks I only used a sponge with Leadbelcher, then a Nuln Oil wash and it was 'okay'. Next time I want to try grey (Eshin grey is the new really dark one, I think) with a little Leadbelcher in the scratches. I can't say I've tried it, but I hear it's good. I think Elmo uses that method.

Thanks guys, I've got the last of my holiday this week so they'll be finished soon :biggrin.: I've got the FW wings transfer for the Vendetta so I'm hoping to do it justice :smile.:

I was ruminating on potential paints to use for weathering last night, maybe there's a non-metallic combination I could use? I'll have to do a bit of research and experiment, I like the idea of using a dark grey though.

honestly, i don't know anything about weathering (i don't do it myself but i admire those who do) so i can't give you any advice on that. but your models are looking great warriorfish, and its nice to see your vow coming along. hope you've been enjoying your time off too, just make sure you relax at some point and enjoy. which part of blighty are you from? 

The tanks are looking really good mate. Enjoy that last day of holiday, I really need one of those at some point lol.

I havent weathered tanks before, so I cant honestly say, but would weathering come out on the dark green? I've generally seen it done on a light grey type tank, or on dessert tanks so dunno how it would look on green

I like your vehicles. They look good in formation. I have not magnetized a model before. I will have to try that at some point. 

Nice clean and consistent painting! Weathering isn't too hard to do. I think their might be some tutorials in the painting forum.( It's nearly sarcasm...Oh, might be a how to paint in the how to paint area.... I'm so dumb..) And at this point I run out of advice and any thing overly useful to say..lol

I am looking forward to seeing that vendetta as well!

I think that's part of the problem I had before leinmann, the green doesn't seem to lend itself to the common weathering colours. I'm optimistic that using a dark grey will look better so I'll just have to decide what other colour/s to work with it. I'll dig up an older tank that needs a bit of painting up to experiment on at some point along with the weathering powders (that sound too good to be true, I suspect dark powers at work!).

I'd recommend magnetising if you can uber, the weapons for the tanks above lent themselves to it so it was simple to do. I'm still fairly new to magnetising but time and patience is all you need, so if a half blind man like myself can do it anyone can! :laugh.:

Thanks for the kind words everyone, the next images I upload should be of them completed :smile.: We've not had much of a summer (and that's here on the south coast...) so I'm going to try to make the most out of what daylight I get while I can. I've got an idea for my second vow (sadly not the Baneblade, I'll not get the time :sad.: ) but one thing at a time, I should finish this one first :wink:

I've completed the tanks! I underestimated the last work though, I forgot how much black where was to do which was fairly detailed. That and the lenses multiplied across five tanks! Somehow I managed to crick my neck so I'm feeling a bit unwell, I'll have a rest before launching into the Vendetta :smile.:

Here are the group pictures, with the magnetised additions:

gallery_30308_3239_29601.jpg

gallery_30308_3239_49593.jpg

Chimera 1

gallery_30308_3239_10455.jpg

Chimera 2

gallery_30308_3239_25485.jpg

Devildog

gallery_30308_3239_18290.jpg

Executioner

gallery_30308_3239_32778.jpg

Hellhound

gallery_30308_3239_9317.jpg

I also took a couple of pictures of the side and rear so you can see the additional work. The black is a bit of a pain but I find helps break the block of green up.

Side

gallery_30308_3239_17932.jpg

Rear

gallery_30308_3239_25242.jpg

I'm pleased with how they turned out, especially the Executioner. The plasma coils and scorch marks work nicely, and you can even see some of the details like the metal highlighting in some of the pictures :tongue.: Maybe I shouldn't have scaled the images and quality back so much, but I don't want to punish anyone's connection too much.

Next update should be of some more progress on the Vendetta, probably the magnetising :)

Thanks! They sit pride of place on my desk for the moment to help motivate me to press on. The Hellhound has already survived a close encounter with a curious child so the enemies of the Emperor should be a trifling concern after that :tongue.:

It was a great day again today (still is) but I spent it outside like a normal person, dropping in on GW to see what's going on as I was down town. The answer is "not much" as it turns out but I did get myself something to help out in future Apocalypse battles:

gallery_30308_3239_54697.jpg

That should solve the Stompa issues nicely, I'm hoping to be able to build it as more than one variant but it depends on how it's built. Worry not, I've left it in the cellophane packaging and it will remain so until my ETL duty is done :smile.:

Though that said I'm still holding out the faint hope that somehow I might be able to squeeze in the Baneblade as a second vow, but my only hope in hell rests on completing the Vendetta pretty quick. At least I know what I'll be doing this evening ;)