3rd Company Salamanders plog WIP

our_baz

• 3 months later...

They look really nice... My only suggestion would be with the guy with two swords.

I would suggest lowering the left hand one so its at a more dynamic pose... Would kind of look like he is in a duel or something.

Keep up the great work! I've always loved a good Salamander's Army!

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Nightmare84 with regards to converting the cloaks. Sorry I have no photo's to show this. 

1) I removed the high collars from the cloak (I've saved a couple, I've used them for an Aegis hood/ collar for a librarian i'm converting).

2) I made two cuts into the middle of the cloak just a little wider and deeper than the mounting for the for the back pack on the marine

3) I then filed away the inside of the cloak to remove the mountings used for the Dark Elves mini's. Once the back was flat I would test mount with Blu-tac to see if the cloak was level or lower than the bulb on the marines back for mounting the back pack.

4) Once I was happy with the fit I mounted it with green stuff and glue.

5) Once set the back-pack was added on top of the cloak.

Hope that helps.

• 1 year later...

Glad to see the cloaks work on regular-sized marines!  I've wanted to do an HQ with one for a long time, but I'd only ever seen it done on Dan the Demon's marines, which were truescale.  Sounds like it'll still be a pain in the butt to do though.

Anyway, on the the painting.  It's a bit flat, for my liking.  A lot of places go almost entirely without highlights, like the legs for instance.  More importantly, you simply left some fancy details unpainted, like the jeweled collar of the chap with two swords.  But then you go on to do some really cool, brighter, fine detail work like the freehand scales on the knees, so I'm at a loss as to why you'd just skip the easier things.

What you have painted on the dreadnought so far looks solid.

@Phantomzero17. No same shade. Photo taken in the eveneing rather than in daylight. So thats why the first one looks lighter IMO.

@Firepower. Cheers for the comments. You are right on the money, I do paint them a touch flat (there are highligths, camera phone just doesn't some of them up too well). Its mainly confidense esp with regard to the legs I'm just not sure were the highlights should go.

• 4 months later...

Been too long since I've updated this. Primarily lost motivation for my Sallies. Well got it back and started on my Friedrakes.

Nearly finished this guy (the pose is pants! This was my first proper kit bash), just got highlighting and scale pattern to go on the bright green areas. Tried dry brushing highlights on this guy, still not happy with the legs tho to be honest. Not entirely sure were I should be highlighting. Thoughts and comment welcome.

gallery_72518_8462_633832.jpg

gallery_72518_8462_131361.jpg

Got this fella sorted reasonably sharpish this evening. Tried out Army Painter insane detail and small drybrush for detailing and edges, for first time on this guy impressed with these new brushes esp the drybrush. Thoughts and comment welcome.

gallery_72518_8462_310885.jpg

gallery_72518_8462_97044.jpg

The cloak is pretty fantastic, but for some reasons the kneepads catch my attention even more.  I'd love to see you try that scale pattern from the kneepads on a helmet or shoulderpad!

• 8 months later...

Haven't updated this in a while, basically been neglecting my Sallies. Changed WIP to incorporate my 3rd Company as well the Firedrakes I initially started this WIP with.

Hopefully I'll be able to keep this ticking over better than I have been in the past.

For starters heres part of a Sternguard squad I'm working on. Got flames and scales to add to the armour and pads. So bit of work to go.

gallery_72518_8462_165708.jpg

Also changed my drake scale recipe for the sternguard, gone for a muted green rather than red that I've been using for the Firedrakes.

gallery_72518_8462_611627.jpg

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Managed to get these guys finished. Added a couple of photo's below of the finished three and with their squad members who I've finished previously. I've added close ups in a spoiler tag to save space.

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome. Next stop the Hersey train.

gallery_72518_8462_481871.jpg

gallery_72518_8462_369167.jpg

gallery_72518_8462_384166.jpg
gallery_72518_8462_84632.jpg
gallery_72518_8462_284337.jpg
gallery_72518_8462_188746.jpg
gallery_72518_8462_229506.jpg
gallery_72518_8462_253862.jpg
gallery_72518_8462_312887.jpg

Archived