Dark Mechanicus project - Something binary this way comes...

Hi everyone - some of you may have seen my Death Guard project log (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/250365-death-guard-warband-showcase/) and I wanted to share a brand spanking new project I've been inspired to work on - Dark Mechanicus! I love Daemon Engines, they're absolutely some of my favorite chaos units, so I thought - why not make an army based on them? These guys are only WIP, but I like where it's going - I've been cutting and gluing bits together all weekend. :) I'm incredibly inspired regarding the modelling, but I could use some input regarding the colour scheme - all inputs are appreciated. :) 

Here they are, so far: (there will be 7 or 8 machines all in all)

The Kaban engine (Daemon Prince/wings)

dp1.jpg

dp2.jpg

dp3.jpg

Defiler:

defiler1.jpg

defiler2.jpg

defiler3.jpg

Maulerfiend:

mauler1.jpg

mauler2.jpg

Thanks a lot, guys!

Malika: If I can come up with a paint scheme that fits together with the DG, yes - but I probably will for Apoc anyway. msn-wink.gif

Incredibly rusted out bronze/brass with various metallic trims?

Dude... seriously sick.  As another said, you can forget me ever even thinking about putting together a Dark Mechanicus army now, lol...

Thanks a lot, guys!

Malika: If I can come up with a paint scheme that fits together with the DG, yes - but I probably will for Apoc anyway. ;)

Incredibly rusted out bronze/brass with various metallic trims?

I'd say rusted metal and paint with oxidized brass for the trims.

Awesome kitbashing.

Fantastic work!

My one suggestion would be to fill in the recesses with the Necron runes on them on the Triarch Stalker legs. At the moment they still look a little too 'Necron' (although perhaps the paint job will help with this).

I've always thought daemon engines should glow from within with unholy energy - sort of like the golden army from hellboy 2. If I were painting these I'd go with a bright fiery undercolour (red/yellow/orange) with very dark plating (black/brown/red) over the top. Sticking with dark red as an overall theme seems like a solid choice, a literal "dark" mechanicus as it were.

Your models are spectacular, cant wait to see more of this.

These are brilliant!  I love that I can pick out bits of Imperial technology inbetween the daemonic.  Mk IV jump pack for wing are my favorite so far. 

For paint I would use dark blue, purples and blacks.  I can see the inner fire thing would look really good if done right.

I'm looking forward to more.

Dark Gods I love that Kaban! I may have to steal that for a Maulerfiend. Fantastic work all around, I cannot wait ti see more! 

-Tarvik

Dear sweet gods.

The Kaban Engine... how did you make that thing? What kits went into it? I can see at least 3, I think. Actually, just tell me anything about that thing - inspiration, planning, whatever, I just want to know more about it. It's one of the best things I've ever seen.

GW could do far worse than to take a leaf out of your book - I never used to have any interest in the Dark Mechanicum (for various reasons), but after seeing these, well, I've reconsidered how awesome they are as a faction! happy.png

Thanks a lot, everyone! I really appreciate the input as always. :)  Don't worry, every necron rune will be removed - as I said, they are all very much WIP - I just like to go with the inspiration to build, and fine tune details later.

Dear sweet gods.

The Kaban Engine... how did you make that thing? What kits went into it? I can see at least 3, I think. Actually, just tell me anything about that thing - inspiration, planning, whatever, I just want to know more about it. It's one of the best things I've ever seen.

It's basically a Talos kit, assembled more or less as usual - the arms are magma cutters from the maulerfiend, the tail is from the canoptek wraiths, the claws are from the Heldrake, and the shoulderpads are forgefiend as well. The hanging hook is just a talos arm, and the tendrils are chronos bits. The head is one of the talos weapons cut up.

I don't know if I plan a lot - I usually get an idea, and scour the GW website for the basis of the model - I assemble and convert it (mostly the pose), and more or less throw bits at it, until it looks cool. Sometimes I plan the whole thing out (often when trying to fall asleep), but the best conversions are usually spontaneous.

Tonight I've been working on my lord - he has terminator armour, lightning claw and a chainfist. He's magnetised to the base, so I can remove him and put him on a mechanical palanquin (which will be based on the thunderfire cannon tracks). Obviously, he's still missing a lot of tubes and stuff, but I really like where he's going:

forgelord1.jpg

"But", I hear you say - "Isn't he a bit small for a terminator?" Not really. ;)

forgelord2.jpg

Two things stand out when I see your stuff GR,

1.  Your imagination in creating a vision of an army that I have not seen expressed in my 10+ years in the hobby.  The DG army made my eyes bleed seeing a vision of them never seen before.

2.  The practically seamless integration of so many kits on your fnished products.  It is like you see components in different kits as individual pieces that your mind then meshes with others.

As always, if I win the next Powerball or Mega Millions, you WILL do a commision for me.....LOL!

Archived