Dark Mechanicus project - Something binary this way comes...

Here's the red version - with added glowing green runes (which I love, but need some more practice on) - and a lighter base:

dmbrute1.jpg

dmbrute2.jpg

dmbrute3.jpg

The rune-look I'm going for is this:

488137_523024481047826_1634699903_n.jpg

This isn't easy - after having slept on it, I'm wondering if the IW wouldnt be better, if made with a slighter lighter shade of steel, glowing green runes and a lighter base? I can't help but think of word bearers or world eaters, when I see red chaos, and I don't really want to be associated with that.

Comments and critique is welcome as always. :)

Lovely runes!

What about going more rust red-brown for a main color, and then working in more silver/iron on the armor itself, highlighted by gold?

I just have a very strong urge to try to get all four of those colors working together because I think they're all very appropriate.

Maybe you could look at some Necron schemes and then suitably rune/age them?

I rather like the latter one best. Just iron with gold trim with glowing runes of green or cyan.

The red looks good, but red and green automatically evoked the thought of christmas. Which might not be what it is intended to convey.

When I look at the mini above I see DM/IW to be honest, but have you thought of inverting the colours so that gold/brass is the main colour and the red as the accent? In any case, the runes really pop! happy.png

Thanks guys. :)

Cormaic art: It never occurred to me that it could look like a christmas ornament, but now I'll definitely have to put a string on it and sneak it onto the christmas tree next christmas. :D

I guess I'll have to make another IW tester, with lighter metals, lighter base and smaller glowing runes.

Awesome stuff GuitaRasmus, the only thing I will say is try toning down the glow around the runes, it should still roughly follow the outline of each rune as the light source itself isn't an orb and thus wouldn't create a big circular glow. Just my 2 cents.

Awesome stuff GuitaRasmus, the only thing I will say is try toning down the glow around the runes, it should still roughly follow the outline of each rune as the light source itself isn't an orb and thus wouldn't create a big circular glow. Just my 2 cents.

Props for the Murderface avatar :D

OT: My gut is telling me to blend some yellow into the runeglow somewhere. Where? I have no idea! But maybe in the center hairline of the runecracks. Or just a different tint of green.

Wow your army is full of wonderfully imaginative conversions that are brilliantly executed.  I think your paintjobs look great and really appreciate the care you are taking in perfecting a scheme before moving forward.  Thanks for the recipe tips also!  Getting nice results from fairly quick methods is something I struggle with, which is why I am usually pretty slow at making progress!

There was a series of necromunda battle reports, in which one of the warbands was painted as cyborgs with blue glow effects. I think blue glow would be cool. Also, I like the grey paintjob. after all grey is mechanicus standard, so it makes sense. A lot of industrial "default" protective anti-rust paints are also grey, so it makes even more sense. 

Grey with blue glow would look sharp. I like that idea Ch@oz. Best part is that it won't look like a legion color scheme.

That sounds very cool! happy.png

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I've painted up one of my Helbrutes in the IW scheme, and I am pretty happy with it - however, I want to try out one last scheme before comitting to the whole project - a paler version of the red helbrute. Pics of the IW helbrute tomorrow!

Archived