Iron Sentinels

Defenders of the Eastern Fringe

Greeting, Brothers, to what is possibly going to be my first real attempt at an army log on the forum.
What has motivated me to finally contribute models to the community, I hear you ask? Well, if you haven't seen it yet, Brother LamenterMarine's 'Your Emperor Needs You' Project is all about creating a new chapter for the '27th Founding'. Follow the link if you wish and see is anything piques your interest. Hopefully, you'll be as inspired as I am and join in.

Sadly, there will not be any models in this first post, but there will be by the week's end. To make up for the lack of resin and plastic, I'm going to show you a framework of my chapter, the 'Iron Sentinels'.
One thing I feel I need to point out is the theme; the concept in my head when I came up with the idea for the Chapter is Napoleonic-Era Prussia, so that's why the names are Germanic in nature and the colour scheme is what it is. You'll see this when I post the image from the B&C later, but the Chapter's symbol smacks of Raven Guard, which is odd coming from an imperial Fist descendant. Again, this is relating to Prussia and it's flag.
If you hadn't guessed by now, there are going to be many nods to the early Kingdom of Prussia in this chapter, more so than in the Imperial Fists.

That's enough babble for now, but if you have any questions, feel free to ask - I'd be happy to answer your questions. C&C is also very welcome, of course. msn-wink.gif

Chapter Name: Iron Sentinels

Founding: 27th Founding ( M.41 )

Progenitor Chapter: Excoriators

Geneseed Origins: Imperial Fists

Chapter Color Scheme: Predominantly Navy Blue armour, with White greaves and left pauldron insert; company colour displayed on left pauldron rim; squad designation symbol picked out in white; veterancy shown by red stripe on helmet

Chapter Symbol: Symbol depicts a black eagle with wings displayed and elevated; gold/yellow beak and claws when stylised

Speciality: Defense and Attrition Fighting; Devastator Squads

Battle Cry: “Not one step back!” or “Do not lose.”

Purpose of Founding: Chapter was founded in order to garrison the Fortress World of Mazovia, a planet in the Hohenzoll Subsector, in anticipation of future incursions by Tyranid Hive Fleets and Chaos warbands, to name a few.

Geneseed Stock: Chapter's geneseed is derived from that of its Progenitor, and as such suffers the same defect in the Catalepsean Node known as The Darkness; manifesting itself as a wretched palsy, slackness of the jaw, tremor of the limb and a blankness of the eye. It is described as a sleeping wakefulness or a living nightmare by those who have experienced it; those afflicted relive one of Dorn's darkest moments, the loss of the Emperor.

Chapter Master: Jacobus Bauer - former 4th Company Captain of the Excoriators; undoubtedly an expert at defensive warfare, Jacobus favours stationary units of Sternguard and Devastators over Assault squads and mobile Tactical squads. Oddly, he also ensures all under his command have extensive knowledge of both bolter and bayonet drill.

Homeworlds: Mazovia - Fortress World (formerly Dead World); site of the Chapter’s Fortress Monastery.
Following various incursions in the Eastern Fringe, the High Lords of Terra decreed that a system be fortified against future incursions into Imperial Space. Mazovia, a lifeless ball of rock and red dust, was transformed into a Fortress World, with the initial intention of being garrisoned by a full 5 Regiments of Imperial Guard. This decision was quickly changed, and the formation of a new Chapter of Space Marines was authorised instead.

With its skies bristling with orbital laser and missile satellites, and millions of automated orbital defence batteries on the surface, Mazovia is a tough nut to crack, even without the constant presence of the Iron Sentinels. The planet is garrisoned by the Reserve Companies of the Chapter, as well as its Scout Company and at least one Battle Company; of the remaining three Battle Companies, two are on regular patrol routes of the entire subsector, whilst the third remains within the Hohenzoll System, ready to react to any potential incursion at a moments’ notice.

König - Feudal/Death World; site of a Chapter Keep.
König is a planet that the Imperium forgot. It is the major recruitment world of the Iron Sentinels, but not the only world the Chapter draws their recruits from. Potential recruits undertake stringent tests before they can be accepted into the Chapter, such as being forced to stand outside the Chapter Keep overnight without food or sleep. Those that pass the test are given two days of rest before they begin their induction into the Chapter.

A feudal world with large oceans, a varied landscape and factional differences similar to that of Terra ca.500.M2, the planet was populated shortly before the end of the Great Crusade, following conquest by the Dark Angels Legion. Contact with the Hohenzoll Subsector was disrupted by the confusion of the Horus Heresy, until rediscovery in Late M.36. After 5 Millennia of separation from the Imperium, society had devolved into a feudal state much akin to that of Caliban prior to its destruction, right down to the Warrior Brotherhoods revered by the populace.
König has mostly been ignored by the rest of the system, who deep the planet sufficiently backward to warrant disinterest. Nonetheless, König spawns strong, noble warriors, a fact that the Iron Sentinels makes full use of.[/url]

Chapter Master: Jacobus Bauer - former 4th Company Captain of the Excoriators;

Is someone a fan of a little show called 24? :rolleyes:

Reads well, looking forward to seeing some models!

Chapter Master: Jacobus Bauer - former 4th Company Captain of the Excoriators;

Is someone a fan of a little show called 24? rolleyes.gif

Reads well, looking forward to seeing some models!

Oh, what an interesting coincidence! I've never watched 24 in my life before, which is why I didn't pick up on that immediately. laugh.png

I honestly just visited behindthename.com - it's a great website for ethnic names, by the way msn-wink.gif - and picked out a couple of names at random.

I think I'll keep him that way, just to throw people off. laugh.png

sounds good thumbsup.gif

Thank you! I hope they live up to expectations! biggrin.png

Well, this was my original concept for the colour scheme, which I dropped very quickly when I realised it smacked very highly of Storm Wardens. laugh.png

spacemarine.jpg

As you can see, the major inspiration here is the uniform of Prussian Infantrymen during the Napoleonic Wars, hence the white greaves.

Below is the new and improved colour scheme, which still reminds me of the Storm Wardens, but that factor is definitely lessened now that only one shoulder is white, but I'm still not sure. What do you guys think?

spacemarine.jpg

Just to clarify, the red trim on his shoulder means he is from the 3rd Company; the Chapter follows Codex procedure as far company colours are concerned.

Thanks for the comments so far, guys - I'm going to be spending some time putting together some models this weekend, and hopefully I should have pictures to put up then as well.

Good call on tagging this as 27th founding cornix, this popped up nice and easily :-)

Liking the fortress world, fits perfectly with Excoriator derived chapter. Did you ever read the legion of the damned space marine battle book?

Cheers

LM

I see someone used my Chapter outline. msn-wink.gif

Guilty as charged! :lol:

Honestly, it's a great arrangement, so I used it to help me work out my Chapter. With a couple of additions, of course ;)

Your work is inspiring, man - keep it up!

Good call on tagging this as 27th founding cornix, this popped up nice and easily :-)

Liking the fortress world, fits perfectly with Excoriator derived chapter. Did you ever read the legion of the damned space marine battle book?

Cheers

LM

Thank you, LM! I figured that a Chapter that is almost eternally hunkered down to defend this system, especially if they are of Imperial Fist Gene-stock, would make sense.

Sadly, I haven't read the book, but I'm presuming it relates to the current Chapter Master of the Excoriators and how he was saved by the Legion of the Damned?

I like the older color scheme a bit more, personally. Symmetry feels more Prussian. Though that blue seems bright for Prussian blue (assuming you're going for it).<br /><br />Sticking a thousand Marines as permanent fixtures on a world that basically lacks anything of value seems odd unless it's in some particularly strategic location. Also, with one Marine per world of the Imperium, Mazovia needs to lure a LOT of things toward it before sitting on it is better than normal Space Marine duties.

I like the older color scheme a bit more, personally. Symmetry feels more Prussian. Though that blue seems bright for Prussian blue (assuming you're going for it).<br /><br />Sticking a thousand Marines as permanent fixtures on a world that basically lacks anything of value seems odd unless it's in some particularly strategic location. Also, with one Marine per world of the Imperium, Mazovia needs to lure a LOT of things toward it before sitting on it is better than normal Space Marine duties.

Thanks for the input - I agree that symmetry feels more Prussian, but I love the asymmetry you see in Space Marines sometimes, so I've done my best to try and fit both into the colour scheme.

The blue? I prefer the brighter Navy Blue (#000080) than "Prussian Blue" (#003153), but I will have a look for something in between. My like for it probably stems from one of my earlier DIY's, the Sons of the Dragon, with their old Regal Blue/Skull White scheme.

You're absolutely right here, I agree, which is why one thousand marines don't actually sit on the world at one time.

In my head, and something I haven't translated very well into the first post, much of the Reserve Companies stay on the planet, including the "unready" parts of the 10th, whilst elements of each company are distributed among the 3/4 Battle Companies and their fleets, ready to plug gaps in their assigned Company, help on the battlefield, defend vital locations planetside, etc.

The 1st Company is split roughly into quarters or thirds, depending (I've not made a final decision whether one Battle Company will remain stationed on Mazovia yet), and are distributed among the fleets, which will most likely respond to any Tyranid, Chaos or Necron incursions/uprisings/whatever in the area. It won't stop them responding to anything across the stars, though - should Armageddon kick off again, or another Black Crusade, they would respond with whatever is deemed necessary.

As for Mazovia, by the way - it's more of their stronghold should things go sour on the Eastern Fringe, not just the planet or that sector.

I see them working alongside the Iron Lords a lot.

I like the new colourscheme, maybe even paint the hole leg white and using companycolour stripes for squadmarkings for the left leg.

Thanks a lot for the input, and I'll certainly consider having the legs all white, or at least partly ala the Iron Lords.

In other news, I'm starting on some miniatures today, and you should see them later/tomorrow, hopefully ;)

Ave Dominus Defensor!

So, I spent most of today blu-tacing together some bitz and working out a theme, such as a short, stabbing Power Sword for a Tactical Sergeant. I've been influenced by the nocus cornix's Shadows of Mysis in the fact that I'm going to try and get my mitts on a Grey Knights box at some point in the next few weeks, which might be hard, with exams looming around the corner, but hey tongue.png

Also, spent some time on the painter in order to figure out something new. I decided to go with a more muted colour: Catalina Blue (#062A78). What do you think?

spacemarine.jpg

I'm also quite tempted to put the company colour on both shoulder trims, but I'm unsure as to how that would look at this stage.

Also up there is an approximation of the chapter symbol - I'd probably just go with a black version of the Raven Guard's symbol on the models, but put a far more stylised version on banners, etc.

Opinions?

Thanks guys, model(s) tomorrow.

In my head, and something I haven't translated very well into the first post, much of the Reserve Companies stay on the planet, including the "unready" parts of the 10th, whilst elements of each company are distributed among the 3/4 Battle Companies and their fleets, ready to plug gaps in their assigned Company, help on the battlefield, defend vital locations planetside, etc.

I was exaggerating a bit with all thousand, admittedly - I got that they're not all there at once. But you seem to have the balance of them there, and I don't get the impression the other companies go very far. I dunno - even keeping two companies would be both a lot of Space Marines and more than many other chapters. Especially if the rest of the place is a fortified deathtrap.

I like the newer blue. smile.png I'd actually put the company color on both, or even just on the blue one. Simpler symbols on the shoulder and more complicated on the banner both makes sense and looks neat (Greyall did a neat version of the Stone Hearts' symbol that I'm going to use on banners etc, but the shoulders get ordinary hearts. Which is admittedly mostly because I'd already painted them).

Why is it that every time I see your color scheme, I want to call your marine Liberty Prime, give him a giant Gatling gun in one hand and an American flag in the other? :P

BETTER TO BE DEAD THAN RED!

Seriously though man, I like the work you've done so far, keep it up.

I was exaggerating a bit with all thousand, admittedly - I got that they're not all there at once. But you seem to have the balance of them there, and I don't get the impression the other companies go very far. I dunno - even keeping two companies would be both a lot of Space Marines and more than many other chapters. Especially if the rest of the place is a fortified deathtrap.

I like the newer blue. smile.png I'd actually put the company color on both, or even just on the blue one. Simpler symbols on the shoulder and more complicated on the banner both makes sense and looks neat (Greyall did a neat version of the Stone Hearts' symbol that I'm going to use on banners etc, but the shoulders get ordinary hearts. Which is admittedly mostly because I'd already painted them).

I guess all I can say is so far the Chapter is designed, organised, etc. to be a defensive force, much like the Iron Warriors were Pre-Heresy; currently they don't hold any fortresses/keeps on worlds other than in their home system, so the majority of the force will be present on their homeworld. I'm leaning more towards the fact that roughly half of each reserve company, excluding Scouts, will be present on the Fortress World, along with relevant attatchments, but as you say, two companies' worth of Marines is still a lot.

The other thing to remember is the fact that, within my headcanon, the Chapter is very young, only just starting out on their first combat operation. I'm hammering out some fluff for this, and more "combat operations" will be added when I play some games with the army I eventually make.

And thanks man - I like the blue as well. Now I've just got to figure out a nice analogue to put on models :lol:

I think I'll keep the company colour as it is - I'm liking how it's a divide between the white and the blue.

Why is it that every time I see your color scheme, I want to call your marine Liberty Prime, give him a giant Gatling gun in one hand and an American flag in the other? tongue.png

BETTER TO BE DEAD THAN RED!

Seriously though man, I like the work you've done so far, keep it up.

Heh - Well, the Power Armour's there already, so no worries there :P

Thanks, I aim to please - you work is, as always, inspiring as well.

Now ladies, gents, I know I promised you models, but unfortunately I haven't been able to get any half-decent pictures due to the weather. Natural light is always best, after all. I'll try and get some done for Friday for you, so you can see something at least.

Thanks for your patience.

• 1 year later...

I have been creating a Chapter my self, a 26th Founding Iron Hands successor Chapter with a very different backstory, though haven't had time yet to put it all together.

I though of a great name that gives a nod to Iron Hands origins and to the purpose of the Chapter as guardians of their particular corner of the galaxy, and it's....

Already bloody taken!

Tell you what, chalk it up to another Administratum error and continue as normal.

Nice backstory, but not what I'd go for, I'll post mine asap.

I have been creating a Chapter my self, a 26th Founding Iron Hands successor Chapter with a very different backstory, though haven't had time yet to put it all together.

I though of a great name that gives a nod to Iron Hands origins and to the purpose of the Chapter as guardians of their particular corner of the galaxy, and it's....

Already bloody taken!

Tell you what, chalk it up to another Administratum error and continue as normal.

Nice backstory, but not what I'd go for, I'll post mine asap.

Haha! Coincidence much?

Everybody has their own version of what they want in their Chapter, and yours works wonderuflly. Administratum Error is always an excellent reason; after all, two chapters with the same name and exactly the same liveries were deployed to the same warzone and simultaneously wiped out. Think it was during the Thirteenth Black Crusade.

Basically, there's no reason these chapters can't have the same name, go for it!

[EDIT]

Also, don't do threadromancy, kids!

Archived