Rogue Trader: Which to get first?

Hail,

I am generally new to the RPG aspect of Warhammer 40k. I have the core rule book and have ran one successful(you could say it that way) campaign, the one in the book. I am looking to buy one of the supplements, to expand an ongoing campaign and help with the ideas I have in my mind, but don't know which one the buy right now. The choices are:

Rogue Trader: Into the Storm 

or

Rogue Trader:Hostile Acquisitions 

My campaign will start with a mutiny, then a crashed ship, as the characters are shot down by the Imperial Navy. I can only get one as of now, so I'm looking for suggestions. 

Any help would be amazing.

-Clockwork1328

I recommend that you first take a look at the free downloadable products that are available from FFG's Rogue Trader Support page. If you can't see the page, all you have to do is create a (free) account there. Not only will you find adventures, but you'll also find player aids (including character sheets).

I have all that stuff downloaded. I also have Only War, along with Rogue Trader, which I eventually plan to make a duel campaign out of. 

Welcome to the 40K RPG universe :wink:

I'm new to 40K RPG too and I just started a Rogue Trader campaign. My first purchases were the Core Rulebook and Into the Storm because it provides a good number of additional items, starships' hull and compoments. It also has the rules for alternate career, Xenos characters and expanded gameplay mechanics. While they may seem a little overwhelming to a beginner (I belong to such category as well :wink: ) there will be a moment when those contents will become very useful.

After those I bought: Lure of the Expanse, Soul Reaver, The Koronus Bestiary and Stars of Inequity.

The Koronus Bestiary is a must in my opinion, since it gives you a large amount of NPCs for your own adventures. It also features a Xenos generator if you want your Explorers to fight something no one has met before.

Stars of Inequity has a huge pontential but some parts of it are better suited for high level characters who are likely to be influent enough to venture into the farthest reaches of the

Expanse to found new colonies etc. However the treasure generator is perfect for awarding players after explorations. You don't knwo what artifact(s) the Explorers may acquire during their last exploration? Roll on the Treasure generator.

The System/Planet generator is also very interesting but I'd recommend to acquire a little familiarity with the game before trying more complex tasks.

Lure of the Expanse and Soul Reavers guide you through an adventure and they are not conceptually different from the other "scenario expansion". I have't read them yet, I just gave a look at some pages. Such kind of scenarios aid you in creating a very detailed story with ease. Just follow the book's steps

I have been told such encounters from those books are quite challanging for very low level character but I haven't started those scenarios yet.

I don't have Hostile Acquisitions,yet (I plan to buy it in the future) but if you like the rogue-style Rogue Trader :wink: it may be a good addition to your collection....

Edited by Cmdr Shepard

Into the storm is a traditional expansion to the RT main rule book.  It provides more detail into the basics of everything RT covered as well as additional enemies, scenarios, gear, advanced classes, ect.

Hostile Acquisition, on the other hand, deals with a RT crew dealing with the shadier side of the law.  

If your campaign will have the RT players on the side of the emperor, then my recommendation would be Into the Storm....

However, if they decide to become more "free minded" and follow the path of Edward Kenway (minus the whole Assassin thing) then I go with Hostile Acquisition.

Depends on what you are looking for.

If you want material that will help you build scenarios for your gaming sessions, then I would recommend Lure of the Expanse then the three book adventure arch.

If you are looking for more ships, gear, and combat stuff.... Battlefleet Kronos

If you are looking for a more star trek exeperiance, looking for old life and old civilizations.... Stars of Inquity

If you are looking to populate those stars.... Kronos Beastiary

Im going to get Into the Storm first, then Hostile Acquisitions. After those two, any suggestions regarding other expansions and adventures I should try?

As blackoption said Lure of the Expanse and the other books adventures are a nice way to create an adventure with ease. Rremember they will provide you the adventure's basis and nothing prevent you from making your own modification to the plot, if you like ;)

The Koronus Bestiary is, in my opinion, another "must". It gives you countless option for your encounters, from the iconic Xeno races to the dangerous beasts from death worlds, from chaos daemons to your own custom made xeno species.

Consider many creatures from the Koronus Bestiary have the Fear trait, and several of them even have an high fear value, so they may create a lot of issues to very low level characters who will likely fail the fear test, just for the records. 

I really doubt there will be a Rogue Trader book you won't find useful ;)

I currently completed the rulebook scenario and I think I'll set up some exploration challange and endeavors before throwing the group into the Lure of the Expanse adventure. The I'll think about my next purchases. I'm too inclined towards Hostile Acquisitions, or perhaps Edge of the Abyss or Battlefleet Koronus.

If you want an additional adveture I'd suggest the Game Master kit. You will get a new adveture at a lower cost and you will also have a folding panel with important game data.

Thank you. Im in the process of starting two armies and getting RPGs, so kinda distracted. Thank you so much

I know how you feel... I'm always in the process of starting/expanding armies and now I'm adding 40K RPG to the "equation" ;)

If I find the time I plan to post a brief description of my 40K RPG adventures as well. If you acquire Hostile Acquisitions let me know what do you think about it.

If you need further assistence feel free to ask. :thumbsup:

Will do Cmdr. Just out of curiosity, what army/armies do you play?

Many of them. Nearly every human army (well more or less ;) ) and sometimes, when I want something different, I try xenos. However I'm mainly an Astartes player.

What armies do you play?

Just another thing I remembered about Rogue Trader: I don't know if you plan to use the massed combat rules but I have been told the hordes rules from Black Crusade are more "functional" than RT own mass combat mechanics. I haven't tried it out so I just pass you an info I read around.

Since I own Black Crusade rulebook I plan to use the hordes rule for a Rogue Trader Endeavour that involves Orks...a lot of them...

I am going to play Red Corsairs CSM and an Imperial Guard army. And yeah, Koronus Expanse is supposed to have those mechanics

CSM is one of my armies (you can even see some of my conversions by looking at the links in my signature). I always wanted to start a full IG army (I just have few minis/vehciles) but never had the chance due to new releases.

Anyway I have a question: You said your campaign starts with a mutiny. So you Rogue Trader will be the one who mutinied or the one who suffered it?

I'm curious ;)

My Rogue Trader is an Inquisitor who is in very bad terms with the ecclesiarchy. In order to not aggravate the contrasts he was granted  a Primarch signed Warrant of Trade... just for the records..in the case you are as curious as I am...;)

For the mutiny, I was thinking the crew  mutinied as a fixed event, so either the PCs escape in a shuttle and their ship crashes as they get away, or they all go down with the ship, but the PCs survive. The adventure would be either staying on the wrong side of the law or trying to convince the Imperium that they didnt cause this and need a new ship. 

Saw your work, very nice.

For the mutiny, I was thinking the crew  mutinied as a fixed event, so either the PCs escape in a shuttle and their ship crashes as they get away, or they all go down with the ship, but the PCs survive. The adventure would be either staying on the wrong side of the law or trying to convince the Imperium that they didnt cause this and need a new ship. 

Saw your work, very nice.

How did they get another ship and a warrant? You need both to start your Rogue Trader campaign... unless you have some additional scenario who takes place before the events from "In the Maw". It would be a nice way to expand your RPG experience and create your characters' backgroud.

EDIT:

I'm gald you liked my work...sadly it has been a while since the last time I had the inspiration for some decent conversion....

Edited by Cmdr Shepard