Painting Fire and Flames

Hi everyone.  I have written a tutorial for my new blog, How to Paint Fire and Flames for my Legion of the Damned project.  It is a nice tutorial with lots of pictures, it won't let me copy and paste so I'm leaving a link. You can see the full tutorial and blog here:

*update*

Link was broken, old website is down. So here's a NEW link!  

http://www.painthammerstudios.blogspot.com/2014/08/how-to-paint-flames-and-fire.html

Nice tut. Exactly how I'd paint sculpted fire, much like how I paint flame imagery anyway.

I will say though that the way you've painted the flame design on the backpack contradicts your tutorial though. :P

I know the sculpted flames contradict the realistic fire!  I found that the "fake" flames look better when painted that way on black armor, because the tips tend to get lost when you paint them dark red like you would with real fire.  I think that's the reason GW paints flames like that on their Legion of the Damned models, it looks better, even though it's not accurate.  But yes...sort of a contradiction ;-)

Oddly enough, the red bits didn't get lost on my damned legionnaire. Then again, I only used 3 colours; mephiston red, blood angels red and sunburst yellow. The hall of honor post of the legion of the damned a particular user posted shows this too. Each to their own I guess. :)

• 1 year later...

This link appears to be dead. . .  Is there an alternate tutorial anyone can suggest on painting flames/fire?  This is the only one that comes up in the search.

Sorry for the ambiguity.  I meant on figures. . .  but both are definitely useful. 

I'm finally ready to start my LotD, and I'm too cheap to buy the gw models.  So I need to be able to paint convincing flames on regular Space Marines without the benefit of them being sculpted on. 

Thank you very much for the links! 

• 1 month later...

Archived