Quick and nasty Sons of Horus linebreakers 2000pts

geordie

Evening all,

I've been reading through Betrayal again and since my painting is going fairly slow I thought I'd see if I could make a list that shaved a few of the bodies down compared to a 'normal' heresy list. What's easier to paint than infantry? Tanks of course. This list could be applied to any legion really.

Legion Centurion - Chaplain - 85pts

Legion Centurion - Champion w PW - 100pts

Legion Veterans x 5 w 5 PW's - 175pts

Legion Veterans x 5 w 4 PW & 1 PF - 180pts

Legion Tacticals x 20, sergeant w PF and artificer armour, vexila - 285pts

Legion Tacticals x 20, sergeant w PF and artificer armour, vexila - 285pts

Apothecaries x 2 - 90pts

Landraider Phobos - 250pts

Landraider Phobos - 250pts

Vindicator, dozerblade, combi bolter, armoured ceramite - 150pts

Vindicator, dozerblade, combi bolter, armoured ceramite - 150pts

Total - 2000pts

The HQ's and Veterans ride in the Landraiders. Squad with the Champion select fearless, squad with the Chaplain select furious charge.

Not exactly a balanced list but one I think would be fun to play and would give a good account of itself against most?

I've also considered a 'Pride of the Legion' list at the same points level consisting of 3 Landraiders, 3 squads of Terminators, 3 Chaplains and 2 Vindicators. Leaves about 100pts left over for upgrades. Any of the HQ's could be swapped out for another option. Most of the Centurion options are roughly around the 100pts mark.

I'd love to hear any feedback on these ideas. Are they stupid? Are they good? Are they cheesy spammy filth and is their author the scum of the segmentum?

cheers 

Polnor - good spot on the missing Praetor for the second list. Looks like one of the three Chaplains will be getting switched out for a Terminator Armoured Praetor.

You definitely have a competitive list here with some min max units and two raiders and two vindis will be hard to deal with according to priority. 

However many lists so far contain little to no anti tank as they have been casted a hateful eye from the internet community...so you might have an advantage as long as you dont play any games against eldar or crons.

That being said, you only have two scoring units at 2000, a pretty hard to work with list unless you spread your 20 man squads out thin to capture multiple objectives at a time (since i dont believe gw has said anything against yet)

Every list has problems of sorts and a true take all comers list is kind of poor, I would try to find some points for some power fists or meltas because dreads will absolutely destroy your 20 man squads and most likely stomp your pw squads if the lascannons cant deal with them.

A spartan tank could definitely ruin your day as well, splitting its quad lascannons it could destroy two of your tanks in one go, then laugh at your lascannons with its flare shield.

I would do something about the small power weapon squads too, they are the same price as a termie squad and i would argue that the termies would be better with the saves if you want to weather the incoming crapstorm of a fury of the legion attack. Or if you can find points i would recommend a Justaerian squad as they have the furious charge rule and can get a multi melta, a good addition to your force. And since termies count as two models for the purposes of merciless fighters rule, i would take them instead.

All in all before I continue...do you *really* want to do a SoH army? It doesn't play well to small numbers as per the merciless fighters rule. A better choice might be EC as they have the small power weapon squads with benefits. And your force seems fluffy too as it mimicks the battle for the precenctor's palace, with the chaplain (charmosian) the champion (Lucius, etc.) and the vindis and land raider support if you choose EC.

Just my two cents, sorry for the eye sore of reading.

Depthcharge12 - thanks alot for the feedback! Some excellent points which I hadn't thought of. I'm just bashing lists together more for fun than competition, the variety in Betrayal I find is excellent. I'm sure about the SoH, they will be my main force but I'll be adding allies at some point. I'd never gave the Lucius and Charmosian combo a thought until you mentioned it! In fairness it's been a few years since I've read that book (Fulgrim?)

I'll maybe post up a few more fun/interesting lists as I try to digest Betrayal a bit more. I've got a slow WIP thread of my XVIth on here too if you'd like to check it out.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. I'll revise the list tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Archived