Diceman's Ultramarines Vow 2013

Greetings all!

Here's the first update on my Vow for the Ultramarines board. I picked up Varro Tigurius, and have begun to work on him.

Here he is in box: gallery_72626_8496_1830657.jpg

And here he is assembled:

gallery_72626_8496_1482698.jpg

I have some painting done on him, but didn't think to snap a photo. Expect updates soon.

A reasonable effort, however, I'd suggest using some washes and black-lining to give some depth. Argax (sp?) Earthshade wash for the gold, banner and tabbard, Nuln oil for the metal bits would give some depth. Black lining and highlighting the armour (perhaps a sharp alaitoc blue?) would do wonders.

Thanks, Schultzhoffen!  I had washed the gold with Gryphonne Sepia, but the Earthshade should help tone down the admittedly-gaudy nature of the gold.

I had done one run of Nuln oil on the metal pieces- do you find multiple applications useful?  Or perhaps I can try drybrushing it with something brighter for the contrast...I will experiment.

Highlighting is a skill I am working on getting better with, as my current efforts (see my Stormraven/talon in my gallery) yield very large lines.  Any tips for avoiding variance in line thickness?  

Thank you very much!

Wtg to highlighting. The thinner the better at the start. Also, the more often you do it, the better you'll get. 

I tend to use one coat of wash but you need to experiment (rather use 2-3 thinner coats than one heavy one at first). Earthshade is awesome, you can apply liberally.

I use Kantor blue as a base for my UM, with alaitoc blue and space wolves grey to highlight (feel free to check out my gallery - I'm not as good as some but at least you'll get an idea). I also love washes and black lining. It makes an average painter like me look acceptable!

Archived