Using Eldar rules to represent SoB on the Tabletop

L30n1d4s

Here is my idea for using Codex: Eldar to represent Sisters of Battle and give them a creative, competitive codex to use (rule-wise only, of course) until SoB get their own new book, whenever that might be:

HQ

-Autarch --- Counts as Canoness. Stats are good (and fluffy), highly customizable, and can help control reserves.

-Avatar --- Counts as Martyred Saint. A little bit of a reach here, but basically a MC for SoB is represented, like Saint Celestine, by a very high stat HQ that also makes all the units around it (actually, her) Fearless.

-Spirit Seer --- Counts as Ordos Hereticus Inquisitor (with Psyker abilities). Pretty basic here, boosts SoB army and makes Wraithblades (counts as Heavy Inquisitorial Battle Servitors, see below) into Troops.

EL

-Fire Dragons --- Counts as Dominions.

-Striking Scorpions --- Counts as Celestians.

-Harlequins --- Counts as Death Cult Assassins.

TR

-Dire Avengers --- Counts as Inquisitorial Storm Troopers. Hellguns would be represented by the Avenger Shurikan Catapult profile and all the other stats (high Ld, WS/BS, Initiative) would represent the elite training of these ISTs.

-Wraithblades --- Counts as Heavy Inquisitorial Battle Servitors that form a bodyguard for the Ordos Hereticus Inquisitor.

-Wave Serpent --- Counts as "Excelsior Gunship" for transporting troops/providing aerial fire support.

FA

-Warp Spiders --- Counts as Seraphim. Maybe a little reaching, but the Deathspinner has the same range and rate of fire as two Bolt Pistols... fluff-wise, the Bolt Pistols could be loaded with special "Brimstone" rounds that are S6 AP- and auto wound at AP1 on 6s.... i.e. just like the Deathspinner/Monofilament rules. ;)

-Swooping Hawks --- Counts as Inquisitorial Drop Troopers. A new addition, these would basically be Storm Troopers with Jump Packs, special assault Lasguns, and specialized grenades. The Grenade Pack large blast could represent an close air support strafing run called in just before the Drop Troopers deep strike in with their Jump Packs from a flying Valkyrie.

-Crimson Hunter --- Counts as Archangel Fighter-Bomber. Manned by elite Sisters of Battle pilot, they provide close air support and aerial superiority for Sister of Battle holy crusades.

HS

-Dark Reapers --- Counts as Retributors with special heavy bolters equipped with Suspensors (i.e. to give Slow and Purposeful) and AP3 Vengeance rounds with extended range, but only two shots per turn, vice three for a normal heavy bolter.

-Wraithlord --- Counts as Heavy Penitence Engine equipped with dual flamers and serving as a SoB Monstrous Creature.

-Night Spinner --- Counts as a "Puritas Gunship", which is basically a low altitude bomber for SoB that launches either Napalm missiles (i.e. representing the large blast, long range profile of the Doom Weaver) or fires a Torrent Napalm burst at close range (i.e. representing the Torrent profile of the Doom Weaver).

Now, all of this is a bit out of the box and definitely requires some imagination/creative license, but I think you could actually make it work with WYSIWYG, given a capable modeler.

What this lacks, of course, is the ability to represent basic SoB Battle Squads, Rhinos, Immolators, and Exorcists, which are all classic, archetypical SoB units.

Using Eldar as "counts as" for SoB, you would have to have background that calls for an unusual SoB Order that employs different tactics, training, and even equipment than the norm. Still, I think it would be fun and interesting to try this concept out, both from a modeling perspective and a competitive, table-top gaming perspective.

Any thoughts?

I wouldn't mind if it was easy to keep track of... However, I think a lot of this is reaching, and that most units here do not share much in common with each other... Rules or fluff.

I would rather use the SoB rules... They might be limited... but they are unusual and fairly fun to play.

Bluntly, I think it's an awful idea. You're shoehorning in Inquisition units, the statlines are way, way too different, you're adding fluff-breaking units like Sisterhood fliers, and as you say - you need to change the Sisters fluff to make it fit. That last objection is the most important.

The point of using another army's rules to counts-as your own army is to make the rules fit the fluff when the rules that exist are too weak to be usable. This neither fits the fluff well, nor is the Sisters 'dex weak to the point of unplayability. In fact, we have a very strong codex bar the lack of fliers.

This is really reaching as Hellios said. If you want your deviant witch army then I'd recommend collecting them straight out rather than this crowbarring. Light armour and such doesn't match up to the heavily armoured Sisters and as you said it has nothing to count as line Sisters and Rhinos etc which are all the absolute core of a Sister army and collection!

That and if you did go ahead with this the amount of conversion work required would be quite a task to say the least. The Sister codex isn't awful by any stretch (WD nature aside), so you shouldn't be discounting it so readily. Get stuck in with it and you'll find yourself purging and cleansing without too much difficulty :)

From our rules on Allies inclusion, found here:

Obviously full Xenos and IG armies won’t be allowed at all. Nor will a Xenos/IG army with Marines/Sisters/Chaos as allies.

This post basically falls into this. While it's counts as, it holds only superficial resemblance to what B+C is all about.

I applaud your efforts in doing this, it can't have been easy, but this isn't the place for it.

Closed.

gallery_26_548_17394.gif

Archived