I've been looking on the Games Workshop website, and I saw that they are having a weekend dedicated to the Horus Heresy Betrayal this summer. Now I know I'm not going to be going to this years one, but I'm thinking that with next years event being dedicated to Massacre now is the perfect chance to start a Horus Heresy army. That and there is a painting challenge on the WiP forum based around the battle of Istvaan 5.

I've decided after reading Soulforge by Gav Thorpe I'm going to collect a Raven Guard force, and use that for next year's event.

Here is the 3000 point (the largest amount of points for the weekend)

HQ

Legion Praetor 170 points
Pair of lightning claws, Iron Halo, Jump Pack

Legion Centurion 120 points
Legion Champion COnsul upgrade, Power Weapon, Artificer Armour, Refractor Field

Elites

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad 245 points
1 Sergeant and 4 Veterans and 4 Extra Veterans
Sergeant and 2 marines are armed with power weapons. Sergeant has Artificer Armour, 1 Veteran carries a Heavy Bolter with Suspensor Web
Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier 60 points
Auxiliary Drive & Heavy Bolter

Legion Terminator Squad 210 points
1 Terminator Sergeant and 4 Terminators
Reaper Autocannon, Chainfist, Sergeant has Thunder Hammer
Land Raider Phobos transport 260 points
Combi Weapon

Contemptor Dreadnought 210 points
Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon & and Close combat weapon with Plasma Blaster

Troops

Legion Assault Squad 290 points
1 Sergeant and 9 Assault Marines
1 x Hand Flamer, 1 x Plasma Pistol. Sergeant carries a power weapon and has Artificer Armour

Legion Assault Squad 305 points
1 Sergeant and 9 Assault Marines 305 points
All have Combat shields. Sergeant has Power Fist & Artificer Armour

Legion Tactical Squad 195 points
1 Sergeant and 9 Tactical marines
Nuncio Vox & Legion Vexilla. Sergeant carries power weapon and plasma pistol

Legion Support Squad 237 points
1 Sergeant and 4 Space Marines with 5 extra marines
Volkite Caliver. Sergeant carries a Power Fist & Bolter

Fast Attack

Legion Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron 325 points
3 Legion Sky Hunter Space Marines, Sky Hunter Sergeant Upgrade & 3 Extra Sky Hunter Space Marines
2 Volkite Culvarin upgrades. Sergeant carries a power weapon and Hand Flamer. Squad carries Melta Bombs

Legion Storm Eagle Gunship 250 points
Four Hellstrike Missiles & Armoured Ceramite

Total: 2997 points

• 2 weeks later...

I like how you've went for a themed force and there's not just a copy and paste approach. It looks like an enjoyable army to build and paint with the variation. You've got mobility and some good firepower. I can't see any massive weaknesses. What power weapons were you planning on using, swords or axes? Who is riding in the Storm Eagle? At 3000 points I'd imagine you're likely to come up against at least one Spartan with flare shields etc. Do you think you could take one down? I was going to suggest multimeltas on the jetbikes but armoured ceramite negates meltas. Perhaps a chainfist on your terminators? I suppose pummeling one with your lascannon sponsons on the landraider and a couple of hellstrike missiles might do the trick or knock a couple of hull points off.

Would be excellent to see 3000 points of any Heresy force on the tabletop. Which armour marks are you going for? Are you including Corvus pattern or not? A little bird told me there's a new legion flyer being released in the not too distant future so that will probably scupper this whole list whistlingW.gif

I like how you've went for a themed force and there's not just a copy and paste approach. It looks like an enjoyable army to build and paint with the variation. You've got mobility and some good firepower. I can't see any massive weaknesses. What power weapons were you planning on using, swords or axes? Who is riding in the Storm Eagle? At 3000 points I'd imagine you're likely to come up against at least one Spartan with flare shields etc. Do you think you could take one down? I was going to suggest multimeltas on the jetbikes but armoured ceramite negates meltas. Perhaps a chainfist on your terminators? I suppose pummeling one with your lascannon sponsons on the landraider and a couple of hellstrike missiles might do the trick or knock a couple of hull points off.

Would be excellent to see 3000 points of any Heresy force on the tabletop. Which armour marks are you going for? Are you including Corvus pattern or not? A little bird told me there's a new legion flyer being released in the not too distant future so that will probably scupper this whole list whistlingW.gif

I wanted something different. It needed to be themed for the Horus Heresy weekender next year. I'm not really looking for tactical, more fun than anything else. In terms of power weapons, mostly swords, maybe a stave or two. The Legion Champion will be carrying a power sword, just so it looks cool. I won't be using the usual model for it though. As for a Spartan, good question. I might have to do some upgrades. As it stands I just have the one chainfist with the Terminator Squad. I didn't have anything planned for the Storm Eagle. It's a fairly expensive transport so I might just use it as a gunship and call it a day.

In terms of armour types I'm going for mostly Mark 4 armour systems. This is going to be during Istvaan so a bit before the Corvus armour. I might give my champion Mark 3 whichever is the armour that makes him look like a Knight.

Archived