Here there be Monsters-Blood and Brass

So this pic died.

Heldrake WIP 2

In other news, I decided to go Iron Warriors for this one, because the purple flesh was begging to be countered by some yellow. Wish me luck with my first attempt at hazard stripes. Iron within, Iron without.

So, the hazard stripes are coming along, but I have a question for any of the Iron Warriors in the crowd:

Have you ever used extra fine black sharpie to clean up the lines on the hazard stripes?

I don't want it to look weird, but I feel like that might be a lot easier than trying to clean it up with paint and a fine brush.

Heldrake WIP 3

Since 6 coats of yellow were insufficient for the coverage I want, I am going to try roughly painting the hazards in white, then going over in yellow. I will have to do clean up with black at the end, hopefully I can get away with a black permanent marker, but I very well may need to do a lot of cleanup with black, alas.

My next vow will include this guy, and possibly a Cypher.

Chaos Lord with Daemon Halberd and Melta in terminator armour

Still need to do the heldrake first though.

Not a traitor grey knight, he just stole the armor because it is more resilient to the ravages of Tzeentch warpspace that he frequents.

Edited by Teetengee

Heldrake WIP 4

This is the yellow (still drying) after white stripes. I am going to throw another coat on after it dries, but I think it will work. I will wait to try the snakebite before yellow on a different model because I don't want too many different yellows showing up. The center spine was from before as a comparison.

Since the snakebite will if anything make the yellow a little darker, I will try it first on the underside of the wings. I am perhaps more worried than others that the brown will make the yellow too dark/orangy because I don't plan on highlighting.*

*I haven't highlighted in the past, and I am not going to do my first attempt on top of another first attempt at a painting technique unless I absolutely have to. Especially on a large model like a heldrake.

Tan undercoat is working at least as well as others. BUT, it will still need two coats of yellow over it. Still better than 7 coats of yellow though. I am almost finished with the first layer of yellow. Then it will be layer two followed by huge amounts of cleanup with black. Then boltgun trim, then.....

Heldrake WIP 6

Also, better pics of a previous model, plus fluff.

A wet squelch followed every heavy thud as the monster strode forth in front of a tide of shambling corpses. A single unblinking jaundiced eye gazed out from where it’s head might have once been. A scream of defiance and rage echoed forth across the battlefield from the great maw stretched over his stomach as he swung down his filth encrusted scythe to reap a bloody harvest from the marines arrayed in front of him.

I present to you Ambulon, Lord of Decay

Ambulon Right Side

Ambulon Left Side

Edited by Teetengee

Nice work man, is that the finished product?

Heldrake, no.

Ambulon, yes, I think. I feel that he might be better with a little bling, but he does not need it to stand out as he towers over space marines. Also the colors are a little washed as I don't have a good place to take pictures.

Heldrake WIP 7

So the yellow is really bright now.:thumbsup: BUT, I laid it on a little too thick:down: ... Thankfully I was doing the undersides and I only paint to tabletop standard rather than for competitions. So this will be fine. The top sides I will be a little more careful to add on lighter. Anyways, thanks for all of the advice folks.

I will be no longer be painting any more yellow on my Heldrake for three reasons.

1. I am sick of painting yellow.

2. My yellow paint has almost run out.

Heldrake WIP 8

I think it looks pretty good.

Now on to black paint.

Heldrake WIP 9

I put black to the filigree on the top of the wings so it stops playing tricks on my eyes (also it needed to happen anyways.). Next step is to do the same t the bottom, and then to even out the hazard stripes.

Also I wish the yellow looked as good in real life as it does in these pictures.

Edited by Teetengee

I put black to the filigree on the top of the wings so it stops playing tricks on my eyes (also it needed to happen anyways.). Next step is to do the same t the bottom, and then to even out the hazard stripes.

Also I wish the yellow looked as good in real life as it does in these pictures.

The yellow is looking better in the pics because of the light reflected. Using the yellow glaze that GW sells can help that, also.