Heresy Emperor's Children WIP

Vect

Thanks guys I really apreciate it :). Don't forget about some cc. I have a question, I am soon going to paint the cataphractii termies, and I am stuggling chosing the color of the tassles or pterugees (forgot the spelling), looking forward to your comments and opinions. 

White.  Gold, purple, and white is timeless, and very ostentatiously regal, which is Emperor's Children in a nutshell :)

As for critique, the only thing I would consider changing is the basing.  I know it's tedious, and boring, and dull, and mind numbingly uninteresting, but dynamic bases really take good models up that extra notch.  Aside from that, maybe some weathering on the tank.

I was thinking about the basing for a long time especially the color. The thing is I have an army of 50+ infantry, and like you said it would be quite tedious, plus I lack experience in the department, also I love prevalent symmetry in the army and I find that individualising each and every model extremely boring, I was just explaining to my fiancee that it pisses me of that there are so many possible poses of a miniature and that i miss the old days of stiff unposable miniatures where one would critique the modeler not themselves :P. What exactly did you have in mind ? examples maybe ? 

I also like the idea of white (even the FW painted fulgrim has white and it fits perfectly), while red like i've seen on brother duncs's EC's is much more faster I find it a bit mellow and undefined, what are your thoughts on a diffrent shade of purple? 

As far as the weathering I am waiting for some dark sand weathering powder from fw, after which I can purity seal them and ad some mordheim tuffs 

Thanks 

Well, let's see. You want small, limited details like that to be striking enough to stand out, without being garish. Green is another cool color, which fits purple on the color wheel, but won't stand out much. Yellow would stand out, but looks garish. Red is too close to purple, so it doesn't "pop" well, another shade of purple even less so than red. Blue is like green, unless it's a very light shade. Black won't do it.

So I naturally go with white smile.png White over a blue undercoat rather than gray looks especially brilliant. This was my attempt a long time ago-

gallery_38474_6917_8519.jpg

I gave up 'cuz I never could get the hang of purples. Or gold for that matter tongue.png But anyway, that's what the white with blue base looks like against gold and purple.

As for basing, cork basing can be very quick and simple. Search for 'Cork Basing" on youtube and you'll get dozens of tutorials, from the very simple to professional level. The simple sort looks good and still only takes maybe 5 minutes per base.

Edit- I forgot to mention, aside from cool white (blue base) and neutral (gray), you can do warm (browns/beige) white. It's colorful too, but I find it blends a bit too well with the gold and with purity seals.

On the contrary, your gold looks great and the purple needs but a little more highlighting so you could become a commander of the emperor's III :P. Thanks for the input on the white that made my decision there ;) 

As far as cork basing I find it a pain since you need to pinn the models to the base and then from a tactical standpoint  the models are taller hence harder to cover :P (but of course this is just an excuse) i went to my local hardware store and found a cork mat but i just found it lacking in texture really, other than that I waiting for the grass to help the overall look :P 

tongue.png I will get to it thanks, do you have any inforation on a good current way to paint faces/skin? I forgot because I havent painted in some time

btw just a side note, MKIII armour is such a pain to paint, trust me guys unless you simply love the armour do not get it ! there are tiny bolts everywhere and it is just so tedious

Hello there guys!

I muct say that MKIII is such a pain to paint compared to MKIV, little rivets and such...

So the first squad is complete !

gallery_66530_8610_503698.jpg

My first contemptor is finished !!! :P Just waiting for the dark sand pigment from FW.

I hope you guys enjoy !

gallery_66530_8610_766833.jpg

gallery_66530_8610_256601.jpg

I am happy with the decision as well :P, I had to cantact Keith Robertson to tell me how he painted his bases.... 

Gold: 

1. Balthasar gold 

2. Agrax Earthshade wash 

3. Gehena gold layer 

4. Auric Armour gold highlight

5.Druchii violet "select" wash

6. Necron compound drybrush 

Hope that helps ! :) 

Here is a picture during the day. Regarding the static poses MKIII armour by nature when you look at the fluff is very stiff, it iis even described as cumbersome. I think in the lexicanum it even says the helmet cannot rotate.

gallery_66530_8610_151749.jpg

Thank so much ! Well I knew they were coming out for a month now so the plan was order 4 squads, use 10 as cc veterans, 5 as palatine blades, and 5 s various squad sergeants.

Hey there guys thank you so much for all the comments :) ! I have to take a break and get back to the preparations for my son, 3 months away, hopefully a future warhammer progeny. Next weeks goal is a few terminators.

Archived