Heresy Emperor's Children WIP

Vect

hey there Brother Duncs! It was you who motivated me to start my EC's in the first place, so the comment goes likewise to you! Thanks again!

Gratitude ! I am waiting for some brass etch for the cataphractii shoulder pads, since there aren't any from FW, a friend says the pheonix guard in terminator armor are coming soon 

As someone who has tried numerous times to paint an acceptable purple for the Emperors Children I must say your efforts are most impressive. I find purple to be possibly the hardest to paint, maybe behind yellow. These guys are phenomenal. I like the mk4 guys best as mk3 for me looks too brutal for the EC. If you're planning on adding a large contingent of Palatine Blades to this log I'm sure it will go from good to freakin' awesome. Interested to see what conversion potential they have. The torsos and legs are one piece so it may prove a challenge. 

• 3 months later...

Geordie, the purple seemed difficult to me as well however I can say It's quite easy just a 4 step process, I'm glad you like it

Soraf, thanks for the motivation and yes purple is so unpopular it's great for a change.

In general i would like to apologise for my absence, I've been busy with my newborn son (hopefully a follower of Horus one day...) i have begun painting again, and I will have some pics up soon!

SPOILER ALERT!!! BLACK LIBRARY

I have a question because during the absence from the hobby i had the pleasure of listening to the HH audiobooks and I have a question.

When horus speaks with Erebus on Davin and Horus is shown how the emperor made the pact with the dark gods,this is only a lie which I am led to believe or is it the truth??? I have been thinkimg about it for some time...

Congratulations for the baby!!!

I think the best chance to get a reply for your question is to post in the Horus Heresy forum. In fact it's kind of off-topic here anyway...

I look forward for more EC as I have developed a taste for them lately... ;)

Hello there I hope all is well with you. What kind of taste do you speak of ? smile.png

Thank you for the congratulations!

Here is a glimpse of an assault marine. More to come as I have to build up the phoenix guard terminators and I am working on a lucius conversion.

gallery_66530_8610_1326104.jpg

gallery_66530_8610_78787.jpg

gallery_66530_8610_706893.jpg

Thank you guys! The Phoenix guard should be fun...

I would like to say that I have painted the marines in batches of 5 step by step, however I think I should revert too 2 models or less, since I feel that I can observe the progress at a much higher rate, however I am loosing effectiveness. How do you guys paint?

The contempt or has been through allot lately, namely a coat of matt varnish that made him "milky" which I later found out was caused by high humidity...

Do you guys think I would increase the weathering on the models? I mean the EC's are know for having clean armor but is it too subtle? I have been infatuated with the "sponge effect".

Also what do you think about the recent addition of white to the color scheme of the EC's in the HH betrayal/massacre books? I was initially inspired by the "Collected Visions" book which depicted them as only purple/gold/black(sparingly). I personally think the white is a bit too much... Even in the BL HH books their depicted as purple. Only exemption the apothecaries.

Please let me know what you guys think all commentary is highly appreciated!!! smile.png

I think some white detail could be useful in denoting veterans or exceptional warriors (Palatine Blades) and for that little bit of extra bling to signify high rank. I wouldn't go crazy with it, but it could look quite good if done sparingly.

Regarding weathering, I don't think it's necessary. I'm rereading Fulgrim at the moment and there is frequent mention of how immaculately clean and polished the EC keep their armor and I can just see a warrior stopping to daintily wipe blood from his greaves with a rag torn from an enemy corpse. What better way to remind the uncouth barbarians of other chapters just how superior we are! msn-wink.gif

laugh.png This made my day! Finally someone who appreciates the fluff, I also felt the same way, but I have had a few people say that I should weather some more...

How, and where would you imagine the white detail?

I'd say the most common areas to apply white is the shoulder pads or the helmets. Other areas could be the knee pads or the elbows... It's really up to you. Although white denotes some sort of vererancy it is not a standardized marking. In the FW book there is also polished metal - silver detail on some depictions. Up to you really how much blink you want to add. But with the III Legion, there is little to hold you back! biggrin.png

Thanks but the question also is whether there should he white,since in all the other sources except betrayal/massacre no white is never mentioned.

I get the bling idea :) I am just not sure that's who they are...

Betrayal and Massacre are pretty big and solid sources in a previously sketchy coverage of the issue.

Ultimately, if you do not like it, don't use it. I think the new books allow for it, so it is a legit option. Whether you should go for it or not is your call. FW also uses black as a complementary color (the Phoenix Guard tabards, the Kakophoni knee pads and shoulder pad rims, the Palatine Blades shoulder pad rims).

If you do not like any other color, sticj to purple and gold. If you want a complementary color though you can do a lot worse than white... ;)

I've been using white to signify rank/veterancy on my own EC's, as I think it looks good and makes more practical sense than simply more gold. On the battlefield it would stand out far better.

I also think it looks more tastful. I've always been of the opinion that the general "Emperor's Children = bling, bling and more bling" view is overly simplistic. Firstly because, before their descent into excess, they were noble, cultured, refined. Excessive displays are none of those things - it is garish, it is uncouth. They were artists, not rappers.

Secondly, because in the Legions rank, and the honours and accoutrements that go with it, have to be earned. It has never made sense for me for lowly line troopers in the III to be more spectacularly armoured than the officers of other Legions. Yes, they are arrogant, flamboyant even, and the higher you go in the Legion the more arrogant and ostentatious they get: but each bit of "bling" has been paid for in blood and toil.

I've been using white to signify rank/veterancy on my own EC's, as I think it looks good and makes more practical sense than simply more gold. On the battlefield it would stand out far better.

I also think it looks more tastful. I've always been of the opinion that the general "Emperor's Children = bling, bling and more bling" view is overly simplistic. Firstly because, before their descent into excess, they were noble, cultured, refined. Excessive displays are none of those things - it is garish, it is uncouth. They were artists, not rappers.

Secondly, because in the Legions rank, and the honours and accoutrements that go with it, have to be earned. It has never made sense for me for lowly line troopers in the III to be more spectacularly armoured than the officers of other Legions. Yes, they are arrogant, flamboyant even, and the higher you go in the Legion the more arrogant and ostentatious they get: but each bit of "bling" has been paid for in blood and toil.

This is how i feel the EC should be portrayed. And that is also the reason I want to collect and play them. Keep at it. Your marines are very inspirational.

I think some white detail could be useful in denoting veterans or exceptional warriors (Palatine Blades) and for that little bit of extra bling to signify high rank. I wouldn't go crazy with it, but it could look quite good if done sparingly.

Regarding weathering, I don't think it's necessary. I'm rereading Fulgrim at the moment and there is frequent mention of how immaculately clean and polished the EC keep their armor and I can just see a warrior stopping to daintily wipe blood from his greaves with a rag torn from an enemy corpse. What better way to remind the uncouth barbarians of other chapters just how superior we are! msn-wink.gif

This works for Loyalists. Some Traitors may be more inclined to drape themselves in a body part or two. Or even relish the splatter caused by victims bodily fluids. Think of the artist in Fulgrim. Her piece wasn't finished until she had done something truly extreme. Otherwise though, a little dusting round the feet area depending on what they have been walking through could be expected but nothing more on the actual armour itself.

Archived