Beyond the Praetors of Calth

apologist

Thanks very much :)

+++

Feet
Added a little texture to the bottom of the kneeling marine's feet, to help break up the big flat area.

IMG_3773.JPG

+++
Bubbling under
Here's the exciting (well, for me at least) bit of this blog; revealing the work in progress:

Marine in partial mark III
A tester for some arms, mainly.

IMG_3771.JPG

Breachers
A fourth marine joins the Breacher squad.

IMG_3769.JPG

IMG_3770.JPG

The Rhino receives a basecoat of paint

IMG_3768.JPG

A new sergeant joins some squadmates

IMG_3767.JPG

More marines on the painting table

IMG_3766.JPG

IMG_3765.JPG

+++

New jobs for old models

Guilliman.jpg
The sun sets on the Primarch and his Honour Guard outside the walls of Macragge.

Re-using or repurposing models from one army to another is something I do quite a bit. A fresh paintjob can work wonders in livening up a figure, and is – obviously – considerably cheaper and quicker than making another.

The three Honour Guard figures above are a good example of figures that are good candidates for re-use. They received quick paintjobs for a specific campaign weekend, and don't quite fit anywhere in the way I now see the Ultramarines.

IMG_0163.JPG

The three started out life as Imperial Fists , a short-lived project that eventually got swept under the carpet (though check out the PCRC's Team Fisto blog, where we've Bob Hunk is doing some awsome LED-lit marines!) They were pressed into service for the Ultramarines when I was hard-pushed for time, but have languished, virtually unused, in my army case since that campaign weekend.

I can't get too excited about elite troops; I much prefer the down-and-dirty line infantry. For this reason, I decided that the Honour Guard would be re-used to help integrate the new Ultramarines (the 190th) with the old Ultramarines (the Praetors of Calth). The Praetors of Calth are an army of which I'm very proud, but the later models didn't quite fit with the original image I had for the army for one reason or another. With the thirty core troops in place, I flitted from expansion to expansion; adding five Vanguard or Recon troops... and then pulling them apart and repainting them when they didn't quite fit.

The 190th are an attempt to breathe new life into the army as a whole. With the release of the Forgeworld Horus Heresy range of bits, it's become a real possibility to create the army that I wanted. The first step was to build a relatively substantial force of the new models; I have a bad habit of breaking apart perfectly useable old models with the intention of updating them, then getting distracted by other projects; leaving me with fewer than I had before!

So, with a large squad of new marines complete (see my post) above, it was time to look at updating the older models, with the intention of creating a mixed squad of Breachers that would bridge the visual gaps between the older models and the newer ones. I started by creating some completely new models, being sure to add visual links to the newer models like updated FW helmets, equipment, and legs (taken from Tartaros Terminators).

IMG_3033.JPG

I then broke up the Honour Guard and rebuilt them with a mix of the older and newer elements:
IMG_3776.JPG

Notice that the focal points of the Breacher marines (weaponry, helmets) are updated – this is relatively quick work that really changes the feel of the models. I also updated the backpacks (as these are a strong visual identifier for the period, but the majority of the work was removing the excess decoration on the originals.

I like to think that these are perhaps the same marines; simply at an earlier stage of their careers. By the time of the outbreak of the Horus Heresy, the rest of the squad must have been killed or promoted away, leaving just these three grizzled survivors.

As a group, I hope the newer and older models fit together well. In particular, the mix of newer and older shoulder pads in the squad (probably the most distinctive visual part of my particular method of making larger marines) links the unit both to the older and newer models. With a quick spruce-up of the paintjob – I think they deserve my best efforts – I think they'll work well.

IMG_3775.JPG

While talking about the Breachers, note the additional marine in the back left of the image above. He's a 'transition' marine that combines elements of the older and newer aesthetics in unique ways: his backpack and shoulder pads are neither the new style nor the standard old style; instead being a unique mix that combines elements of both to assist with the unit blending together.

He required a bit of reposing. Here's the original construction (he's at the front):

IMG_3769.JPG

While it's a pose I liked, it didn't fit with the squad. I'm being very careful with the 190th to make sure that they look good en masse; and that means occasionally sacrificing individual poses for the good of the group. With the new poses (and bits – his legs and right arm have been removed and are already the start of a new marine), the squad looks much more cohesive.

This concentration on the group rather than the whole also makes the most of limited resources. I only have eight Breacher shields and seven of the gladius-style shortswords. By planning ahead and scattering appropriate-looking chainswords (see the fifth picture from the top for an example) in the squad as it's built, I'll gradually work in these divergent bits of equipment on models that otherwise stick closely to the group aesthetic; further building on the integration of the squad as a whole.

On this note, it's part of the reason why one having something special (a bare head, a cool pose, a weird bit of equipment) often looks best on a model if it's set off by a group of standard marines – then the divergent bit becomes a point of interest in the overall arrangement as well as the individual figure.

Anyway, enough pontification! To end this post, here's a final shot of the Breacher squad from the front.
IMG_3774.JPG

Thanks for the feedback :)

Basic training

More troops are being fed through as supply lines strengthen throughout the 500 Worlds...
IMG_3777.JPG

Some WIP marines, including a sergeant and heavy weapon trooper.

I have used some Cataphract legs for the Ultramarine on the far right. I trimmed the decoration on the front down, and think it makes a very effective set of Mark II legs:

IMG_3778.JPG

IMG_3779.JPG

I've also got a new banner bearer with which I'm pretty pleased.

Soldiering on

More marines, including a new Company Standard Bearer. I've always liked battle banners in 40k – there's something wonderfully archaic about them, and they're obviously great opportunities for a focal point. I'm both looking forward to – and slightly terrified of – the prospect of painting the slogan I want on there amidst all the folds. Hopefully it'll end up legible!

IMG_3783.JPG
This model was inspired by this statue of the Emperor Augustus; I thought it'd be both a fun tongue-in-cheek homage to the Roman feel, and also an opportunity to evoke the feeling behind a great Classical piece; holding his hand up in command – a greeting to humanity; but filled with the menace of being a post-human soldier.

IMG_3782.JPG

Here he is with some other marines to give a sense of size.
IMG_3784.JPG

Superb as always. What's the plan for the bases? I like the shaved down cataphracti legs, they look suitably heavy. I came across your Sons of Horus recently, I understand you sold them on, any plans for a revamp to oppose the Ultras? Could be a modern tribute to a very old piece of rogue trader artwork. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks chaps :)

The main updates for this project have shifted over to my Calth, a joint blog I'm working on with the inimitable Doghouse.

However, I'll keep this blog for things that don't fit there, like this Great Crsuade-era battle report against Bob_Hunk's Blood Axe boyz. Think of this as a little history of the 15th Chapter, the Praetors of Calth :)

+++

+ inload: The Compliance of Ix +

IMG_3836.JPG

The 14th Expeditionary Fleet translated into the Ix system with the smoothness characteristic of Navigator-Prime Vin Dien. Almost immediately, the ships were hailed by guttural declarations of war.

Captain Orar sighed. Orks.

Wherever the Great Crusade had explored, the greenskins were always there to meet them. The Ultramarines of the 14th Expedition had grown accustomed to fighting fierce ork warriors; but there was something unusual about this group.

Orar listened more closely to the broad-spectrum inloads being broadcasted by the orks for a few more seconds until it struck him. Aside from the occasional pop or crackle, the transmissions were devoid of typical ork distortion. They were as clear as a direct Imperial shipping line. His eyes narrowed. The orks of Ix clearly had a precociously high technology level... This required investigation.

+++
A long time coming, this game is the first large-scale one I've played using Forge World's Horus Heresy list. Regular opponent Bob Hunk kindly provided a 2000pt list to fight against, giving him a chance to try out the new ork Codex. It's only our second game of 7th, so lots to take in!

+++
Mission:
Contact Lost

Warlord traits: Gashbag is a Prophet of the Waaagh; Orar is a Hero of Terra.

Terrain:
IMG_3805.JPG

Deployment:
Orks deploy and go first:
IMG_3806.JPG

IMG_3807.JPG
The Ultramarines advance into orktown outskirts.
Ultramarine mission: Take and Hold (Objective 6)

IMG_3808.JPG

Da Teknorkracy have no intention of letting them stay!
Ork mission: Take and Hold (Objective 1)

IMG_3809.JPG
Warlord Gashbag leads the advance from his personal battlewagon.

IMG_3810.JPG
Hordes of boyz stream forward.

IMG_3811.JPG
... and are met by the full might of the Ultramarines.

IMG_3812.JPG
Both sides achieve their objectives, staking a claim on the town. The Lootas occupy objective 1, a targetting relay; and put fire down on the Contemptor Talon leading the advance in the centre.

IMG_3813.JPG

Da Lootas struggle to reload, only getting a single rattling burst off each.

IMG_3814.JPG
The Contemptor's powerful armour holds off the worst of the damage and the Ultramarines advance into the teeth of ork firepower.

IMG_3815.JPG
The Contemptors advance into range and a single shot of the multimelta reduces the battlewagon to slag, scoring the first vital kill of the engagement. Gashbag and his meganob bodyguard are reduced to walking.

IMG_3816.JPG
The two sides continue to advance, trading fire in the darkness to little effect.

IMG_3817.JPG
The Terminators receive a charge from the orks as a mighty Waaagh splits the dawb air, and the sergeant steps forward to meet the bull-orks' bellowed challenge.

IMG_3818.JPG
After a brief trade of heavy blows, the sergeant stands victorious.

IMG_3819.JPG
Even as his bodyguard is brought down by massed firepower from the Ultramarines, Gashbag slams into the Contemptor, his overcharged kustom suit [mega-armour and Da Lucky Stick representing the boss Mek's orky-knowwotz] allowing him to swiftly overwhelm the iron giant. He bellows in victory!

IMG_3820.JPG
On the left flank, the marines are met by orks rushing forward faster than they could have expected. Disciplined overwatch fire brings down nearly half a dozen before the Ultramarines draw their combat blades to meet the orks' axes.

IMG_3821.JPG
The melee begins to go the Ultramarines' way, with the minor advantage of numbers not sufficient to outweigh power armour and combat training.

IMG_3822.JPG
Ork personalities prevent the loss turning into a rout, the dok's fighting juice and mek's kustom force field keeping the boyz in line and itching for a punch-up.

IMG_3824.JPG
Gashbag faces the fury of the Legion; but the only wounds come from his overwhelmed suit as the kustom armour struggles to adapt. [The lucky stick prevented eighty shots from causing any wounds; though only at the cost of losing one to three failed rerolls over the turn].

IMG_3825.JPG
As the Waaagh dissipates, it becomes clear the Ultramarines have held the line. An outflanking Deffkopta squadron has killed two marines, but their return fire blows four form the sky. The survivor flees for friendly lines, trailing oily smoke (well, more than usual).

IMG_3827.JPG
The Ork dreadnoughts and killa kans, left stranded by the foot-troopers' charge, angrily shoot at the marines on the ridge. Their armour mostly holds, and their survival is ensured by minor ministrations from the Apothecary.

IMG_3828.JPG
The surviving Terminators drive off the orks on the right flank and start to advance. The gretchin, huddling on the objective nearby break and flee under a burst of fire from the Terminators as they advance into visual range.

IMG_3829.JPG
Fresh from securing an objective, Techmarine Arius joins the wavering fight on the left flank, even as yet more orks pour in.

IMG_3833.JPG
Captain Orar joins the fray, finally tipping the balance. With the Honour Guard, remaining Legion Tactical marines and techmarine all hammering fraying ork morale, it finally snaps and the survivors of the original assault retreat.

IMG_3834.JPG
With just the supporting orks in combat, more advance to take their place, eager for blood. They look up to find Gashbag – can he provide the leadership to keep them fighting?

IMG_3835.JPG
All too aware of the importance of the Warboss – even if he was an over-ambitious Mekboy in this case – the experienced Tactical Legionnaires continue to fight him. Eventually, the numbers tell. Despite tearing down half-a-dozen heroes of the Legion, Gahsbag's armour frays and fails, trapping him in its steaming grip and dragging him immobile to the floor. Roaring in dismay, he bellows futile threats as his boyz turn and slip away, leaving orktown in Imperial hands.

Objective overview:
Da Teknorkracy
: 4VP

• Secure objective 1 – achieved turn 2
  • Secure objective 5 – achieved turn 3
  • Recon – achived turn 2
  • More Speed Go Fasta! – Not achieved
  • Kingslayer – Not achieved
  • Secure objective 2 – achieved turn 3

Ultramarines 15th Chapter: 6VP

• Secure objective 6 – achieved turn 1
  • Hungry for Glory – Not achieved
  • First Blood – achieved turn 1 (battlewagon)
  • Psychological warfare – achieved turn 1
  • Hold the Line – achieved game end
  • Secure objective 6 – achieved turn 3(?)
  • Slay the Warlord – achieved turn 3

Victory to the Ultramarines!

*Shakes fist* I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for those pesky Ultramarines! ;)

Cheers for the game and the write-up Apologist, never again will I underestimate the prowess of a Legion Tactical squad with additional combat weapons! :p

Archived