(40k RPG club details)Black Crusade - Any interest? Ill GM.

No probs guys :)

Its spring here, and most of the lambs have dropped so i can get back to work.

The next post will be in about a week, and I'm hoping to start the theme.

We have a big roster, so I'm thinking a core of 3-4 dedicated weekly players with 2-3 rotating open spots, depending on player preference etc.

"The storms are still too strong for the navigators, but our daemon hosts guide us to future blood! Prepare yourselves darklings, the Master will soon send for you....."

• 3 weeks later...

Is this group still active / in preparation? If so, then I am very interested in joining. My time zone is North America East.

Also, I noticed a call-out for a psyker. I would be more than happy to fill that role. Although, I would have to get back to you on whether I'll go Thousand Sons from Tome of Fate or hurr durr CSM psyker from the Core Rulebook. I have the starting wargear pretty much planned out for either scenario but the starting spells and general spell upgrade path would better be chosen once I see what everyone else in the group has. I can pretty much set up an extremely potent psyker right off the bat given wargear bonuses and the focus power tests (WP ~70+), but depending on the squad make up it would be too early at this stage to choose starting spells, i.e., do we want a defensive, offensive, utility-based psyker, and should he be unaligned/tzeentch/nurgle/slaanesh?

Lastly, I have come up with a custom, well-balanced Archetype for a Havoc if anyone in the group would be interested to test out. Mind you, this is an Archetype in the full sense of the word, so its use would be a "house" rule. An Iron Warriors character can really mould this Archetype for that Legion, but the Archetype is general enough that he can be moulded to fit any Legion / Warband:

Starting Skills: Intimidation, Athletics (Rank 2, +10) OR Awareness (Rank 2, +10), Forbidden Lore (Codex Astartes) OR Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis)

Starting Talents: Deadeye Shot, Die Hard OR Lightning Reflexes, Rapid Reload OR Storm of Iron

Starting Gear: Legion Heavy Bolter with 1 ammo clip included, 1 spare clip of Legion Heavy Bolter ammo, Backpack (50 kg capacity), 2 Legion Frag grenades, 2 Legion Krak grenades, 2 grenades chosen from: Legion Frag, Legion Krak, Hallucinogen, Haywire, Photon Flash, Smoke, Stun, and Web

Starting Traits: Auto-Stabilised

Starting Wounds: 15 + 1d5

Special Ability: Shield Breaker

Havocs treat all heavy weapons as having the Tearing quality, and treat all heavy weapons with the tearing quality as having the Proven (2) quality when such weapons are employed against any kind of fortification, vehicle, or other such structure. if the weapon has the Tearing and Proven qualities, increase the value of Proven by one.

If the group hasn't started gaming yet, and wont for some time to come, then might I propose we hold things off until the last Tome book is released? It should be released any time now. Nurgle resources from that book could prove valuable for more balanced gameplay.

Hi there lads :)

First, thankyou to everyone still interested after 3 months!

So, we have quite a few people here interested, I propose we form a core group of 3-5 players who will make it every week/fortnight and a "free" group of everyone else not sure if they can stick to the calender to make up the numbers and add some variety and play as supporting characters for that episode.

We should probably start with the free supplement "Broken Chains" by FFG, just so we can get an idea of the group and who wants to do what, also so I can practice the GM side a little bit.

Im thinking Thurday night 9-11ish PM ( UTC/GMT +10 hours ). Does this work for people or should I switch it? Also, does anyone have experience with the technical side of Roll20 or Google places / Skype?

The Nurgle supplement is very much anticipated, I cant wait. The way im hoping to set this up will give us a couple of weeks before we think about introducing anything beyond the core book, and then I feel it should be as a vote. Once we introduce Archetypes like the Noise Marine for example, human archetypes can potentially get left very far behind. Please keep in mind you will be playing in a sector where the main protagonists will be Arbites, Astartes and Slaaneshi cults.

On that note - is anyone wanting to roll a human, or will you all be interested in CSM? We'll roll the stats as a group very soon, and start our first game shortly after. Below is a list of interested parties and there prefered choices, just post if you like something different to whats here!.

(ND - Not Determined, no preference for Archetype shown)

Noctus Cornix - ND

Battle-Brother Ludovic ND (still interested)

Cmdr Shepard - ADVISOR

red_knight23 - Night Lords

Brother Nihm - ND (presumed Night Lords)

Akesis - interested (Sanctified / Night Lord)

Vazzy - interested ND

Deus Ex Ferrum ND

Verythrax Draconis ND

Qai - Psyker

Looks like we might be able to form a Night Lords warband, its not necessary but it might make things a bit more interesting.

Your daemonic patron and warship (youll see ;) )

- Emperors Immortals.

so there's a Nl heavy Black Crusadegame and I can't make it. just my luck...

But I can't beat the time gap and I tied up in moving my home anyway. But I sincerely wish you battle barges loads of fun

So I'm assuming that sessions will be live, not text-based on forums, right? In this case, you can can go ahead without me, I don't have much time to commit to such format, and time zones can be an issue.

EDIT: with this time zone difference, maybe I can work it out on 10 PM your time and forward.

Edited by Verythrax Draconis

I recommend IRC chat for rolling and the like and skype for our roleplaying andd planning. I've just finished up a Dark Heresy game with a bunch of /tg/ guys on skype and IRC and it worked really well.

Also, i'd be playing a Night Lord too, Unoriginal as heck I know...

Essentially, my availability is either evenings EST, or mornings EST on Tue and Thu, and possibly Sunday any time. Anything else pretty much conflicts.

With regards to character creation, I would like to use the rule from page 52 of the Core Rulebook to self-allocate 100 Characteristic points. With regards to playing a psyker that I mentioned in my previous post, going with a Night Lords squad pretty much narrows things down in terms of choices. In that case, I'll play/maintain an Unaligned CSM Sorcerer from the Core Rulebook with the following profile:

Starting ("Rolled") Characteristics:

Weapn Skill: 30

Ballistic Skill: 50

Strength: 50 

Toughness: 50

Agility: 50

Intelligence: 30

Perception: 30

Willpower: 50

Fellowship: 30 

Infamy: 19 + 1d5

Essentially adding the allowable maximum of 20 points per Characteristic to BS, S, T, Ag, and WP. Infamy will be rolled with the group.

Starting spells (purchased using the initial 500xp pool granted specifically for spells as part of being a Sorcerer):

1) Thought Sending (100xp, Telepathy);

2) Delude (100xp, Telepathy)

3) Compel (200xp, Telepathy)

4) Precognition (100xp, Divination)

I don't care so much for 1) and 2), but I need them as prerequisites for 3), which is extremely potent.

Starting Gear obtained via Infamy Bonus acquisition:

1) Jump Pack (Rare (-10) + Single (+10) + Good (-10) = -10, whtever "Good" means in this case). Note that I do purchase the associated Skill (Operate (Aeronautica), see below) needed in order to use the Jump Pack; and

2) (Poor, i.e., Unreliable Quality) Legion Meltagun (Extremely Rare (-30) + Single (+10) + Poor (+10) = -10). Just in case anyone in the group decides to turn on me, or takes one too many Khorne advancements - Compel + Melta to the face at point blank range, LOL :P

Spending initial xp for whatever (from the initial 500xp pool for starting as a CSM):

1) Simple, Allied Characteristic Advancement (250xp) for Willpower, +5 (Tzeentch +1 Advancement); and

2) Purchasing a Skill, Allied, Known (200xp): Operate (Aeronautica).

Starting Skills and Talents (specifically for Sorcerer, excluding those that all CSMs start with):

Skills: Psyniscience, Scholastic Lore (Occult), Deceive, Forbidden Lore (Psykers);

Talents: Psy Rating (2), Meditation

Sorcerer CSMs also get a "Force Weapon" as part of their Starting Gear. Therefore, I take the Force Staff. I choose the Force Staff instead of the Force Sword because the Staff also acts as a Psy-Focus (page 167).

Legion Power Armour sub-systems still operational:

1) Sustainable Power Source;

2) Enhanced Ceramite Plating; and

3) Recoil Suppression.

Other Starting Equipment (option for all CSMs): Legion Bolter

I'll fill in the lore and whatever else later.

Unspent xp: 50

Total Alignment Advances:

- Khorne: 0

- Tzeentch: 1

- Nurgle: 0

- Slaanesh: 0

Note 1: Not sure how important this is, but since we are going with a "Night Lords" theme, perhaps anyone else not specifically playing the Night Lords CSM Archetype from the Tome of Blood should probably also consider getting the Jump Pack + Operate (Aeronautica) combo, if they don't automatically start with either of these?

Note 2: In case you are wondering why I didn't choose as my starting spells some of the more offensive ones, i.e., Doombolt, Psychic Scream, or Telekinetic Weapon. To be most effective, these 3 offensive spells rely on Psy Rating, i.e., they become a lot more potent the higher the Psy Rating. As a new character, my Sorcerer's Psy Rating is only 2 (which can be increased via Push during a Focus Power Test, but is risky), and at this level these spells can pretty much be shrugged off by an enemy CSM/SM, or do very little damage. It wont be until I increase my natural Psy Rating by a few more levels that these spells will become a lot more effective. On the other hand, using something like Compel at the outset of the game gives me the ability to make enemies do things that the rest of the squad can take advantage of in order to defeat them more easily (for example, make them run into the open, turn around, do jumping jacks, etc.). Hence, at the outset I focus on maxing out WP, advancing WP, and getting a Psy-Focus. Therefore, at the Unfettered level, I can have a WP for a Focus Power Test of 50 + 5 + 10 + 2x5 = 75!, which are pretty good odds. Even with the -20 WP penalty for using Compel, i.e., 75->55, the chance of succeeding >50% of the time with Compel right at the outset extremely outweighs any drawbacks.   

Now, Compel requires that I be in 5xPsy Rating metres range in order for me to use it. Hence, in addition to the Jump Pack being a Night Lords thing, it gives me great positioning and mobility for this use. Also, beefing up my Toughness and Strength and Power Armour helps with survivability in case of close combat, for which Precognition and a Melta gun should help :)

Everyone playing a Night Lord would actually be pretty cool.

Rather than simply going out freely on our own, we could start in a Night Lord warband or something and create some squad history together.

Edited by noctus cornix

@noctus cornix

I think that's a great idea to create a particular history to the Night Lords squad. Unfortunately, my knowledge about the Night Lords in general is pretty scarce. All I really know about them is that they are essentially terrorists and don't care for either the Imperium or Chaos but simply revel in killing. Can someone who knows more about them draft something up?

@emperor immortals

I have a couple of questions that I would like for you to answer as GM, both involving playing a Night Lords CSM but not specifically the Night Lords Archetype from the Tome of Blood (for example, Champion, Chosen, Sorcerer, etc., from the Core Rulebook):

1) Does everyone get the Dark-Sight trait, as the Night Lords Archetype has it and it fits exactly the lore of Night Lords? It would seem odd that we play a Night Lords squad but most of us not have that trait; and

2) Keeping in-line with the Night Lords theme, how do we reconcile the Special Abilities between the Archetypes in the Core Rulebook vs the Special Ability of the Night Lords Archetype from Tome of Blood? Does a player:

i) keep only the Special Ability as granted for the particular Archetype chosen;

ii) replace all other Special Abilities with the Night Lords Special Ability from the Tome of Blood;

iii) add the Night Lords Special Ability from Tome of Blood in addition to the other Special Abilities; or

iv) choose between the Night Lords Special Ability from Tome of Blood and the Special Ability of the respective Archetype, but not both?

We might get into balance problems when we start mixing around Archetypes and Special Abilities, but I feel this matter should be cleared up since not having the Night Lords Special Ability from Tome of Blood would mean losing a bit of the flavour of playing a Night Lords theme.

I'm also thinking of changing stuff in my Character profile. So, what I posted shouldn't be considered finalized. I'm thinking of not taking the initial WP advancement and instead using the xp to purchase the Warp Vortex spell from Tome of Fate. I might also switch from getting a Meltagun and going for Power Fists, or something else. Haven't decided on this yet, though.

Okay, after a small review im thinking we can allow the Night Lord archetype from ToB also, archetypes from the core book will have the option of swapping there trait for darksight.

We will try to keep special abilities as described in the book, but if someone chooses to be a Champion, we might modify the abilities slightly.

I agree about it being essential to NL, as it will underpin most terror operations and ambushes, imbalances can be accomodated after first session.

I can write up a piece later today, but try to decide weahter you want this to be a "proving" for a warband of new initiates or something else. Dont worry about character creation, well cover that in our session, which im hoping can be next thursday from 10pm my time (( UTC/GMT +10 hours ) using skype and vassal/roll20.

Anyone with experience can chime in with useful tips to keep this fun and not to bogged down in rules, im mostly interested in the narrative side :)

ill get back on here later, but good to see such interest :)

Edited by emperors immortals

Quick description of the Night Lords Legion, according to me.

First of all, read the article at Lexicanum -

( http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Night_Lords#.Uk9lLiRmiSo )

"The Legion turned traitor during the Horus Heresy, after which it fought its way across Imperial space in a bloody campaign that culminated with the death of Konrad Curze at the hands of an Imperial Assassin. Since the loss of their primarch the Night Lords have based themselves in the Eye of Terror and now operate as a somewhat fragmented terror force who seem to go to war only to slaughter or acquire material possessions.

While most certainly Chaos Space Marines, the Night Lords scorn all forms of faith and respect only temporal and material power; indeed, many of them consider themselves free of the taint of Chaos and despise those they deem to be so corrupted."

Theres a basic idea, its a great Legion with terrific scope for our interests. Its also the legion im looking at starting for a 30k army, coincidently. Its also my army from 3rd ed, so im pretty happy this is shaping up :)

Cool, looks like we have a psyker @qai, a Champion @noctus cornix and a Chosen @Deus Ex Ferrum.

You dont all have to be night lords, just thought it was headed that way. Since this will be my first time as a GM Im keen to make it fun and nervous that it will break ;)

ill msg vazzy and the others, but is the time I posted okay so far?

Since this will be my first time as a GM Im keen to make it fun and nervous that it will break

Don't worry about the game "breaking". I think the most important aspect for a GM is that they be familiar with the lore and setting of the RPG, in this case W40K in general (not even the specifics of the particular campaign are as important - we can really just go with what flows). So, I think we're OK in this regard. Also, the amount of fun and flow of the game depends equally on us as players and how involved we want to be in playing our characters. I'm getting the sense that this is a fairly mature audience, so we don't need to worry about "twitch" gaming and instant gratification. In all honesty, I would be just as happy if we didn't even get a chance to play in our first session. Getting to know each other, creating characters, creating a squad history, making sure everyone understands the mechanics, etc., to me is just as important and fun as the gaming experience itself.

With regards to voice communications, this will actually be my first *online* RPG. Skype could be a bit problematic because of its usage restrictions, i.e., 6 hours in a 24 hour period. Moreover, the 6 hour limit is affected by each person involved in a group chat. So, if we had 6 people in a group chat, that effectively gives us (or me at least) 1 hour worth of talk time. I do use Skype, but not frequently enough to warrant subscribing to a paid plan for extra time. Are there any other alternatives that would work for everyone? The only other program I readily use is Steam (but for some reason it always gives me a 1-2 second delay when I talk - so that could be annoying for something like an RPG). I was looking around and came across Linphone, which seems to be pretty popular and free, but I haven't tried it (http://www.linphone.org). I have also used TeamSpeak and Mumble before, if anyone has access to a server? Any suggestions?

Lastly, and it might be a little too early to talk about this at this point, but what books do you have access to? Is the intention that after we finish the first campaign to progressively work through the campaigns from the Core Rulebook -> GM kit -> Hand of Corruption -> Tome of Fate -> Tome of Blood -> Tome of Excess -> .... , or is everyone OK if we really just mix things up and essentially take elements from Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, and Only War and just kind of do our own thing? I think a really neat custom campaign could be where the squad takes over a space ship and essentially uses elements of Rogue Trader for space battles that eventually takes us to a Space Hulk, in which case we would use elements of Ark of Lost Souls from Deathwatch. The Deathwatch book First Founding explicitly places the Night Lords in the Jericho Reach, so a story line there is totally doable. I'm completely open to doing whatever, as these are just ideas I'm throwing out to get a feel for what other's are interested in doing.

Ill look at some more options once my kids have gone to bed, but i thought http://roll20.net/ (i have an account) using google+ hangout might work and its free. Have a look when you guys get time; http://help.roll20.net/misc-playing-in-google-plus/

I like the rest of the ideas there, especially the laid back first session :) . Like most of us here on BnC im proficient in the use of 40k and steeped in its lore lol.

As for the campaign, I was hoping it could escalate into a sector wide uprising of slaaneshi slave cults that draws in arbites, astartes, guard and of course the Ordos. I thought a small warband of NL capturing an enemy ship to get off world might be a good start, plenty of opportunity to make enemies and kill cultists while uncovering deeper plots etc.

Well anymore ideas just post them up and we can talk them through over the next few days, im pretty happy with our progress so far :)

Edited by emperors immortals