Black Dragons Chapter Army WIP: centurions and a contemptor

gloc

Wow! Good stuff all around, but the centurions especially! Could you walk us through on how you did them? I've seen a lot of cool conversions for those awful models, but yours stick with the original design the closest.

Wow thanks, exactly what I was going for.

Unfortunately I do not have any extra centurions left got a real DIY tutorial.

Good thing is I largely based what I did on an existing tutorial by someone way better than me: http://masteroftheforge.com/centurion-tutorial/

Differences I did were:

- cut even more off the shoulder nubs for even more shoulder plate placement freedom.

- add a tiny spacer where the torso meets the legs. (i just used a blob of green stuff.)

- When making the plasticard shin-things, I found his too tall, the lowest part of the top of the knee of the shin should line up flush with the higher part of the original.

- I re-added the support frame to the legs (centurions need these to be centurions) and added a spacer with styrene tubes to extend to the new leg length.

- if i was doing these again I would thicken up the waist and perhaps add a spacer between the chest and the belt buckle.

- even though I really dislike the original extra legplates on centurions, I am not sure I chose the best option, I like what I did over the original and the tutorial I just linked, but I cant help but feel I could have done better.

Another way would be to do the opposite, instead of extending the legs, shorten everything else.

This may sound like a worse idea, but I did this too, and I really like the result: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/313276-glocs-random-unfinished-sculpts-and-conversions/?do=findComment&comment=4163766

- I cut the shoulder-nubs off, just like before.

- I cut off the weapon-holder things on sides of the torso, narrowing the chest.

- I attached the arms higher and more forward than normal.

- I bent the extra leg armour plates at the join between them (Actually I cracked it, making it even better) and they somehow look good, this surprised me.

the result is a marine that looks like he's in super armour, not just a marine in a suit. I just did it because I felt like fooling around with the extra body. But I think I prefer the result, at least for assault centurions (but you probably don't want those)

Wow! Good stuff all around, but the centurions especially! Could you walk us through on how you did them? I've seen a lot of cool conversions for those awful models, but yours stick with the original design the closest.

- if i was doing these again I would thicken up the waist and perhaps add a spacer between the chest and the belt buckle.

Okay you inspired me to snap them part and thicken up the tiny wasp waist they had, also heres a pic of the sergeant and the back of the legs/arms, I udes green stuff to fill in the back of the feet, and styrene tubes fill in the gaps.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q244/omega_mog/centurions-revised_zpstfjavwyc.jpg

I'd say the thicker belt really improves the look.

Archived