wolfy imperial guard

So I've finally bit the bullet and ordered the IG codex for some more fun anti aircraft ability (basically I wanna give a flier a try) but I would like to model the small amount of guardsman I plan to have to be like the kaerls in the fang like from battle for the fang.

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or links for how to make a good looking conversion like that.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

I am already in the process of making my own Kaerls due to similar reasons as you jbickb. I couldn't find a way to model Kaerls exactly as I see them in my minds eye and decided to take the "what models would I actually like to paint" - route.

Thus I am taking my mandatory Troop choice as a squad of 10 veterans using the Cadian Kasrkin squad models. Those are my favourite IG sculpts of all time and when I follow the picture of the squad on the GW site as a painting guide (the one where they are painted olive green with bright orange and white "camo" markings) I can implement similar red camo patterns as "pack markings" that are visually similar to the markings already on my Grey Hunters. And they are wearing rebreather masks which to me seems logical given that they share very hostile theaters with the Sky Warriors. Also I figured that like all chapter serfs, the Kaerls would indeed be counted as veterans on the Fenrisian PDF so I feel quite happy with that route.

I am also using a lightly converted old model for Al-Ulric (WHFB Empire line) as a Skjald (aka a Primaris Psyker), as my HQ to further add to the theme.

-Pup

One suggestion was to us the Marauders from WFB and give them Lasguns. There is an IG unit from an old codex called the Nordian Berserkers. Think Norse historic costume with pelts and Las-guns.

Mordian Ironguard seems very "Navy" for ship crew or House Belasurius.

Steel Legion or Death Korps of Krieg have a good look.

The Brontian Longknives are promising.

gallery_44726_4331_2882.jpg

If I were just going to buy a box of something to make Fenrisian, I think the Eisenkern by Dreamforge would be my choice currently.

gallery_44726_4331_164778.jpg

I was thinking of doing the same. However I was looking at using the Cadian Hostile Eniviroment troopers from FW. After all, Fenris is classified as a Death World. But I also thought of using Catachans and just putting some barbaric heads on them from an aftermarket. Just can't decide which way I want to go yet.

read battle of the fang, it describes the equipment of the kaerl forces quite well. you'll notice they actually are more similar to vostroyan troops then to catachans with pelts, not to mention they look better, and since it's only a small amount of them that you need, are not that much more expensive.

I would like to point out though that besides space ship crew, we have no record of the kaerl fighting elsewhere but fenris together with the wolves, which is a rather important thing to keep in mind if you want to adhere to the fluff. Personally I prefer the idea of having an allied imperial guard detachment being non fenrisians who are part of a joined task force on campaign, or part of the defenders of some planet who called for help from the wolves, This also gives you more modeling options since they can be anything modelwise

Thank you all for you suggestions they are excellent.

I have read battle of the fang and that is partly what made me want to do this, and I have decided that my favorite of all the mentioned models are Definatly the kasrkin squad though I am now wondering if I should just keep them as ig for fluff reasons as it will be simpler, and then I can go for an nice snow camo paint job to have them look like they fit in aestetically (sp?) with my wolves.

Has anyone tried the primaris psyker as the hq? Its a cool model but I don't yet have my Dex and I was wondering if you all thought he made a good HQ for the allies.

imperial guard regiments, just like any modern combat force, have a plentora of uniforms they can pick from. You could perfectly take a winter based cadian regiment, or an unknown regiment using cadian models and winter colours. There are a plentora of good looking winter based IG armies out there!

Since you like kasrkin I suggest you check out the cadian company command box, which comes with rebreathers. alternatively you could get the forgeworld rebreather heads.

I would suggest you only connect both armies base-wise though, since maybe always painting the same colours can get dull?

as for a psymaris, it's decent, but a company command squad will offer you more,especially since we have acces to the only slightly more expensive, but much more powerfull runepriests

Archived