Are you happy with your DA codex?

HsojVvad

I haven't played in ages. So I go for fluff and putting the minis together now. I have seen on other forums about rumours for SM. Thankfully I don't see any DA playing making any negative comments they will not get any of these "toys". I see other people make saying DA players will be crying again for not getting any of these "toys" and it got me to be thinking. While these are  just rumours, for those people who are playing, are you happy with our codex?

Are you having fun with it? This for me is the important. It's not the win/loss but having fun. 

Also it's what 6 months old now? Compared to the other 6th edition releases, CSM, Daemons, Tau and now Eldar, how is the DA codex fairing up against the others for you?

I am perfectly happy with it. As long as Codex: SpaceMarines do not get an option for Terminators as troops this will always set us apart.

We have our own "toys", flier, super elite terminators and bikers, unique banners, etc. These things will never be in the other books.

If you really want the toys, build and paint an allied force to match your DA. Nothing wrong with this option.

Paul

I am also perfectly happy with it, and while I don't beat most of the armies that have 5th Edition Codexes still, I can usually hold my own (barring dumb tactical decisions) until the end of the game against the others.  Personally, I think that shows a relative power level difference between the different editions, and I'm hoping that all the ones that are still 5th get a 6th Ed treatment soon (I'd also like to see whether the Armor 11 flyer becomes the norm - I think it should).

The only thing that will "upset" me (and I use that term very, very lightly, because it's a fictional place and a game) is if the new fluff for "new units" turns out to be "Well, these are ancient Crusade tech that all the Legions had."  If they say instead "Newly discovered/ancient STC plans just recently blessed by the AdMech" or "Developed for non-insular Chapters after the Codex Astartes re-organization", then it's perfectly acceptable.  I'd like to know why the Dark Angels wouldn't get use of Grav-tech weapons, but to be honest, maybe they just don't like them, so oh well...

It's entirely possible DA might get an errata give them some of these new toys, or a supplement, or it might even say in the new C:SM that these units would be useable by the DA, BA or whoever. Unlikely, but it would be a possibility (especially the ones that make GW more money!teehee.gif).

I'm totally glad with the codex as it allows me to convert and paint the models I like and knowing I can field them.

The only think that may irk me is if tactical or assault squads may have access to standardized new things that we don't have access to...

And still... If the explanation behin that is that this technology is kinda new and that some chapters don't trust it, I'm happy with that... As long as we keep the exclusivity of rad grenade and troop termis.

Eh. Flier nags me, and a lot of the glitter for NEW DW RULES has worn off for me. It's mostly a pretty nice book, but when your main is DW and it suddenly gets a lot harder to use properly... 20% price increase for 10% power increase, IME.

I'm in the same camp as brother Bryan Blaire.

I like the codex but also struggle with it against some opponents.  The worst case scenario (and please don't call me a heretic or worse) is that the C:SM is a LOT[/] better than ours, in which case I but C:SM and use my DAs as a Space Marine army....or I use allies and just have a huge DA force playing from 2 'dex's.

Yup, it could get a bit confusing, but to my mind, it's gonna be the DW & RW that set us apart, so I'll use them!

When our new codex came out, many people got upset with the devastation banner and RW.

The rest of the options, nobody really cared, since it was more in the line of the 5th edition update.

And I told my group that I was happy for the codex flexibility but it was not a hard/OP by any acount.

As a prophet, I said: wait until GW starts giving cover-negating options...and the RW extreme builds will fall apart...which happened sooned enoughed.

All in all, I think its a great book for non-competitive games but tier 2 or even 3 vs competitive enviroments.

I'm happy with the book, I've got reasons to field every aspect of the chapter, event assault marines and whilst there are some choices that are definitely sub-par (can't pretend the flier and vengeance bad) they aren't so terrible as to ruin my enjoyment of list creation with all the different options.

I do expect regular space marines to get a bunch of toys but not fussed as our codex seems to have a respectedly strong flavour and theme. I do hope that they don't hand out stasis and rad shell to marine grenade launchers, can't think why they would but you can't put anything past GW. I like how the Deathwing and Ravenwing now have multiple units and how that expands the divergence between Dark angels and regular space marines.

Deathwing are good (not cheap but I am finding them well worth their points), Ravenwing are similarly effective and their elite counterparts are extremely fun. Regular company marines are cheap and versatile with some fun and exploitable tricks plus we get the option to have venerable land raiders! (Ok so it ain't cheap but damn is it nice to have the option!) Lastly with only one exception are character choices are pretty damned solid!

While I'm surprised at how much it turned out I liked the dark angels after snagging dark vengeance, I can't say I'd be happy about us not getting something out of the codex update (even if the chances of that are miniscule). It's mostly about the codex adherent parts of our army losing out on neat gear. I don't really care about codex first company, bikers, and armor gettting neat gear/layouts that we don't have. They're not really expected to be exactly the same. It's different with battle companies.

I first started out with Codex Marines about 1 year ago, and found that even in 5th, I ran the army poorly and found that it didn't have a lot of options for me to use. 

When 6th edition dropped, They got even worse for me and pretty much lost to EVERYTHING out there. Dark Angels came out and I picked it up the day it came out. I found it was quite a bit better and could punish those lists I could never beat before!

As of now though, with the New Eldar and Taur stuff, I'm starting to feel it isn't enough. I also kinda feel i'm stuck running the Banner of Devastation, since it's one of the only things that let me match the more recent builds.

I might change to the Marine codex if I need to compete still (not trying to be WAAC, just don't want to be poned like a year ago) but I just need to try and change how I play stuff so I don't feel stuck all the time with that one easy build.

If the White scars supplimental codex offers a lot of diversity, though, I might use that for a bit.

(ugh this post sucks)

Is using our codex a slam dunk, no brainer choice?  No.

Especially if you run a gimmick free list. 

Unless C:SM comes out with some really OP choices I think this codex will be durable...  I am happy with it even in the face of lists that break our gimmicks like Tau.

Am i happy with new codex???

Half and half...

Even if the new codex is a big step forward for the sons of the lion there still are some grey areas (notably flyers, LSV and BoC) and the FAQs dont help so much creating more problems than the one they solve (about this: no news about new FAQ and the initiative to get better FAQ started here?)...

But to say if i am satisfied with the codex i will wait september for the vanilla marines codex to see if the treatment they give to the first legion is fair or not...

I dont want to be pessimistic but i feel a massive nerfing (even bigger than the last FAQ) coming...

About models i cant complain cause they look amazing... pity i can field only part of the cause a part of them are so suboptimal that they are a waste of space even on the display shelf too (in fact i didnt built and painted any flyer and LSV atm)...

I guess we will have to wait again better times (7th edition and new codex in about 5/6 years) hoping these time we will be out AFTER C:SM so we will not be again the testbed for anyone...

My vote when the codex was out was 8/10... now after C:CD, C:TE and C:E is 7/10...

I like it, a massive step forward into fluffy gaming which is what I like so that made me happy. As for power, it's not an auto-win list, indeed there are none anymore, which is a massive improvement to what the game was like - even mid-2012 - when you had 3-4 codexes dominating the scene. Now its balancing out and is much better overall.

So while we are not OP, or an auto-win list, this is, in fact better. As far as relations with C: SM goes, it doesn't really bother me that we don't get them. The actual rumours are more concerning to me :P

I like it, a massive step forward into fluffy gaming which is what I like so that made me happy. As for power, it's not an auto-win list, indeed there are none anymore, which is a massive improvement to what the game was like - even mid-2012 - when you had 3-4 codexes dominating the scene. Now its balancing out and is much better overall.

So while we are not OP, or an auto-win list, this is, in fact better. As far as relations with C: SM goes, it doesn't really bother me that we don't get them. The actual rumours are more concerning to me tongue.png

Maybe you forget TAU???? Tau are really OP... they are the necrons of 6th edition i think... and eldar are close to them...

DA are the same level of CSM and CD... good but not OP... but i fear that SM will be stronger than us... strong about the same level as eldar... we are risking to become the weakest codex of 40k again but now with codices and supplements coming faster this will happen in a shorter time... And probably we wont get any supplement cause the only rumored one the fallen supplement is more a matter of CSM than DA...

We will see in few weeks... and then we will start to cry... :P

I'm pretty happy with the codex. I would like to see all Marines get flyers and tanks but even if we don't you can paint them up as DA and use them in Apocalypse.

I have almost everything in the codex though. 5 more units to go...

I think the codex is well done, but there are three things that frustrate me:

1.  Lack of anti-air.  

2.  Too much emphasis on RW/DW.  Tac squads, Assault squads, Scouts, Chaplains and Company Masters changed very little and are once again going to be an edition behind Vanilla Marines.   DA is really just a Bike and Terminator army.

3. Weird equipment limitations, like Assault Squad sergeants not being able to use storm shields, take two lightning claws, no combi-weapons for DW Sergeants, Company Masters in Terminator Armor only being able to take a power sword, etc.

After the disapointment of last codex, this one is a breath of fresh air. I am quitr happy with it despite some small flaws. Has so many combinations and possibilities that makes it a long term product for those that dont care so much about being competitive but enjoy fielding their collection of models. Competitive wise it can hold on its own without being OP.

I love the new codex. I can't stick with a set list anymore; swapping units for others, trying new tactics that were not open to me due to self-imposed limitations. I choose not to use preds for fluff reasons and so Mr Vetock gave me the LSV and the Nephilim. The only thing I wish I had was an option to make Company Vet squads troops, again for fluff reasons. Under the old codex I hit a wall that no matter how much I modified my list and changed my tactics I could not overcome.

So yes...I love the new codex

I wasn't when it first came out but have come outta my shell. My first grip was the DW assult rule, but over it now. Taking away fearless on my RW bikers but grim resolve works. The fact that Sammie got eternal still floors me, but have come to terms with it as a whole. Wish old rules for taking 2 hvy weapons in a DW squad were still around but they do alright. Finesse army but good.

2. Too much emphasis on RW/DW. Tac squads, Assault squads, Scouts, Chaplains and Company Masters changed very little and are once again going to be an edition behind Vanilla Marines. DA is really just a Bike and Terminator army.

Yeah but what's new here? Bikes and termis are DA features... Just like jump packs are BA features...

Moreover, our green marines are not less effective than their UM pendants... They have the exact same wargear, tactical squads can take HW or SW when they are 5... And the assault squad... One day, one of you will have to explain me what is the problem with those... They are the exact same as vanilla one and when I read you I feel that our assault squads are worse!

The main problem of our codex was the building of a list : forcing people taking squads by group of 5 was really annoying because it prevented to build whatever you wanted by creating "blocks" of models (and points) that could add together only in a way. Hence you ended up playing always the same list.

GW modified the thing by 3 ways for making things better :

- suppressing the blocks of 5 models.

- lowering the number of special rules of the RW -> lowering the points costs

- raising the number of wargear items -> also created the variable of adjustments.

All of that made things easier and now I feel really happy when comes the time of building lists because I know I can put the units I want, even if they're weak, I do it for fun! And if I want some of the marine toys : tech marine as allied HQ, Naaman (count as Tellion) as troops and the rest is the DA forge going to war! So what's the problem?

As for competitivity :

-the termis : they never have been competitive and so it's useless to ask for it. 40k is played with d6 hence limitations a lot the possibility of nuances when it comes to create a profile. So either they are not as powerful as they should be, either they are too strong. All the SM chapters suffer from the same problem. The only good termis are the GK paladins... And you can see how they are broken. I think we have to enjoy having 2 types of termis and the mix and match as it creates a modeling and tactical variety tha the other don't have.

- stop moaning about Tau codex : tau are one of the less played army and the manga-style made for conquer the Asian market never had a lot of success... It's not THAT surprising that GW made the Tau more powerful in order to sell more models and keep the army alive. And it was even easier in this v6 which is clearly based on shooting and not H2H... So yes we'll have 3-4 years of Tau domination in the very competitive environments, but if you don't play tourney you'll have fun with DA, BA, orks, imp guard, chaos, daemons and all.

So while we are not OP, or an auto-win list, this is, in fact better. As far as relations with C: SM goes, it doesn't really bother me that we don't get them. The actual rumours are more concerning to me tongue.png

Maybe you forget TAU???? Tau are really OP... they are the necrons of 6th edition i think... and eldar are close to them...

DA are the same level of CSM and CD... good but not OP... but i fear that SM will be stronger than us... strong about the same level as eldar... we are risking to become the weakest codex of 40k again but now with codices and supplements coming faster this will happen in a shorter time... And probably we wont get any supplement cause the only rumored one the fallen supplement is more a matter of CSM than DA...

We will see in few weeks... and then we will start to cry... tongue.png

Nope, Eldar are not that powerful. My brother plays Eldar and I regularly wipe the floor with him. The two armies are balanced. Admittedly, Tau are not that common here, well I lie, they were not common. I have not played them yet due to not being anywhere to do so since the new codex dropped, but the massive scare people have over them I do not understand. Sure they are powered well over their old codex, but broken? nope.

Necrons were never super powerful in 5th. I fought a lot of Necrons and they were never as scary as everyone freaked out over them.

So I disagree, I see the game as much more balanced than it used to be. Dark Angels have a solid codex, sure we have our useless units, but so do every codex. It might be harder to win because we no longer curbstomp weak armies, but its called balance. If you find your losing regularly to a certain army, perhaps you need to rethink your strategy or even your army list, but I assure you, our Codex ain't weak.

Yeah I like our codex.... I like the fact that it's not momobuild. I like the fact that there's lots of synergy in there between units, and most of the difficulties people tend to have with moans about our codex being uncompetitive come from trying to run monobuild lists imo.

However, I think we were undersold on flyers..... I really wanted the flyers to be a good solid choice. As it is I don't think they are overcosted, I just think that other flyers are undercosted. the Sun Shark, for instance is a better air-superiority fighter than the Nephilim, and a better bomber than the Dark Talon, but costs the same as the DT....

...and we were also undersold on AA.....a single TL lascannon and some S6 missiles on the Nephilim, or a 10 point upgrade per missile for Flakk, or an Aegis and a Quad gun..... that's it, essentially..... Tau, by comparison, can pay for a 20 point upgrade to any Battlesuit, and make it skyfire, and interceptor for another 5 points..... imagine having skyfire melta or plasma weapons, or skyfire missiles up the wazoo....

Apart from those 2 issues, which don't exactly bother me too much (although it may seem that way msn-wink.gif ), I like it.

I don't like som of the ridiculous rumours that are going round about C:SM though....

Archived