Go to solution Solved by Brother-Chaplain Kage,

I've been trying to come up with something for Corien Sumatris for a week or more and nothing's jumped out at me yet so I decided to see what I could do using just the Mk III and IV plastics.

http://i.imgur.com/g2LkBQU.png

Okay, I had to use a resin arm 'cause there was nothing suitable in either plastic kit. The idea being to make this guy look intimidating as hell 'cause he has a WS of 7. Yes, that's right, seven. The same as an Eldar Phoenix Lord. Posing and a scary weapon seemed a good way to try to get that point across. Btw, it's not a kukri, but a bit of a cross between a kopis and a yataghan.

For Sumatris, I'm not 100% set on the pose yet and I'm looking at alternate leg positions. I also don't have a shield for him that I'm happy with so I'll probably make my own. The toughest thing, I think, is going to be his servo arm bolter... I have no idea where to start with that.

THe metal dude looks quite promising! 

Also, I like the start of that not-kukri toting guy. I wonder though, what pose you're going to go for - especially with his left arm. Having your sword arm up front with the same sides leg so far up, in such a wide stance, is just begging for a dis-balancing attack...

Are you considering a round buckler like shield or something bulky like a breacher shield.... That would offer you loads of room for conversion or paintwork. Or the IH shield from the immortals, with a little work could be re-sculpted as the Tyrants Fist

I have been on a bit of a HH kick recently, so another model or parts of it that I would suggest are: Mark 3 techmarine. The backpack with servo arm would work well for Sumatris, as would the mark 4 version, however I love the head on that techmarine and reckon you would get some decent mileage from it on a future project.

I also think the Techmarines armour is pretty cool too.

Edited by dantay_xv

Augs: Yeah, the legs are off and I think this will work better.

http://i.imgur.com/u3eiouV.png

Not too happy with the shield arm position, but I'm homing in on the sweet spot of the pose.

Dantay: I was planning on a round shield, so good call on that. I'll check out those techmarines, thanks.

I'd go with the 18 gauge first. I'm finding that even flattening out the 16 a lot, it takes many times longer to grind down than the 18. That kopis was my third go at a blade for this guy, and I was getting hand cramps by the time I got through the first two and finished the third.

The current pose of Sumatris wasn't doing it for me, so I did what any sane person would do: I went for a considerably more complicated stance for the legs that would require hours to do.

http://i.imgur.com/3nMMRWL.png

I wanted his stance to bit just a bit wider, but you can see that his feet are already hanging off of a 32mm base.

Huh... I actually liked the previous stance better, with the calm stride. But this is cool too :) I do prefer his shield arm, though - much better.

On a side not: where do you get your recasts, dude? You always seem to have these extremely bad recasts. I hope you didn't pay much for them, because they're terrible (though fixable)...

That pose, tho. That one. It's the one you've been working towards the entire time, even if it wasn't obvious. It just screams yes

I like the sound of that.

I love the pose, but I feel like bringing up the shield so its straight on instead of angled would be better for the entire structure of the model. 

That's the failing of the blue tac to hold the shield up straight while I was taking the pics.

Huh... I actually liked the previous stance better, with the calm stride. But this is cool too :smile.: I do prefer his shield arm, though - much better.

On a side not: where do you get your recasts, dude? You always seem to have these extremely bad recasts. I hope you didn't pay much for them, because they're terrible (though fixable)...

I realized I do a lot of the calm stride types of poses and an idea of what Sumatris in action might look like prompted the change.

IIRC, that breacher shield was not from a "professional". I've had it for a while and use it to try out how a shield looks on various figures.

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

Actually, I like the angle of the shield... it's almost as if he would be deflecting a blow downwards instead of taking the brunt of it on his forearm. Or it even gives the impression that he's putting his weight into it as well.

Edited by DuskRaider

Actually, I like the angle of the shield... it's almost as if he would be deflecting a blow downwards instead of taking the brunt of it on his forearm. Or it even gives the impression that he's putting his weight into it as well.

Seconded

I agree with both the second stance looking better, and having the shield tilted downward slightly. Looks more like he's bracing for an attack or just recovering from a blow and his sword is about to swing.