Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

BCK's Thread of Stuff: Color Theory & Harmony

Conversions Inquisitor Horus Heresy VIII Legion Vostroyans Astral Claws XIV Legion Dusk Raiders

• Please log in to reply
3959 replies to this topic

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,399 posts
  • Faction: VIII Legion - Crimson Sons

Lysander is looking great! As for your colour options, I'd suggest either option 1) or 2): 2) would basically be the classic Deathwatch veteran approach and probably serve as the most solid, bread and butter approach. 

I've only ever seen Deathwatch figures painted or depicted in art like 1, so I'm not sure what you mean classic DW vet for 2; it's always solid black for everything but the silver left arm and the right shoulder pad displaying the marine's chapter icon. 

DBEaouE.png

Thing is, even when painted very well, this paint scheme always looked a bit flat to me and I thought it should have a little more color from the originating chapter. 

dVIGLrG.pngFPVd6je.pngQiZFXmD.png

Hope is the first step to despair.

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,211 posts
1 is an active DW member, typically they revert to 2 once their tour is completed and they've returned to the Chapter.

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,399 posts

That makes sense, but I've still never seen that before. I even checked the 2 40k wikis. 

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,480 posts

That makes sense, but I've still never seen that before. I even checked the 2 40k wikis. 

I think it's one of those weird things that exists in the fluff somewhere (probably the Deathwatch RPG?), but was never put into artwork form.

I do agree though, the Imperial Fists Yellow with the silver Deathwatch arm would look cool.

Edited by Gederas, 16 January 2019 - 03:21 PM.

CaptainStabby

CaptainStabby

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 544 posts
  • Faction: The Rout

I believe it's in the original Deathwatch WD article. The line essentially says that some chapters allow their returning DW vets to maintain the entire left arm silver when they get back, with the chapter badge moving to the right.

The only "Official" models I think they ever showed was I thiiiiiink a squad of Howling Griffons. Or the red & blue quartered guys. I definitely remember seeing it on a quartered scheme.

KrautScientist

KrautScientist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,586 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters

1 is an active DW member, typically they revert to 2 once their tour is completed and they've returned to the Chapter.

That's exactly the little snippet of background I was referring to!

I believe it's in the original Deathwatch WD article. The line essentially says that some chapters allow their returning DW vets to maintain the entire left arm silver when they get back, with the chapter badge moving to the right.

The only "Official" models I think they ever showed was I thiiiiiink a squad of Howling Griffons. Or the red & blue quartered guys. I definitely remember seeing it on a quartered scheme.

Yeah, it was in the WD article, then later got reprinted in one of the Chapter Approved collection -- I still have the (German) issue knocking about somewhere. Cheers for clarifying that, guys -- I was beginning to think I had only imagined the whole thing ;)

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,399 posts

Been a while because I've been busy and haven't had much time to work on anything, but I did make some progress on the Ogre in the last couple days, adding straps for the knee and elbow pads as requested. 

JiqAyUF.png

• DuskRaider, Apologist, Midnightmare and 2 others like this

Apologist

Apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,758 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

Judge Dredd and ogryns and whiskers on kitten are some of my favourite things. It's a fantastic and beautifully executed mash-up that would work equally well in either universe. 

Do you have plans to fill the bullet holes/damage on the torso armour, or add some matching damage to the other hard armour?

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars β€“ Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Vazzy

Vazzy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,525 posts
  • Faction: Shattered Suns
Dude, hes honestly so cool. Like everytime you post an update with him I just have a big dumb grin on my face.

Great work!

ranulf the revenant

ranulf the revenant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 54 posts
Any inclinations to call him "Chief Wiggums" πŸ˜‹?

Nah, he's really cool. (Had to make some kind of reply to follow the thread)

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,515 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves

Why not "Boss Hogg" instead of The Simpsons character as a namesake?

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

PowerHungryMonkey

PowerHungryMonkey

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 148 posts
  • Faction: Iron Hands

BCK, Judge Angry is looking great. I hope you've been listening to Anthrax - I Am the Law while making this guy. Keep him coming

Edited by PowerHungryMonkey, 17 February 2019 - 09:57 AM.

Grey, however, failed to capture the ape. It escaped to France where it murdered a rich widow and was hanged.

Ferrum Aeternum - Truescale Iron Hands Army

Monkey Business - PHM's Random Works and Past Projects

Check out the Conversion Corner - Need some Hobby Help, a Dream Theme or some Conversion Concepts? I'm here to help.

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 273 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

Looks fantastic. Amazing sculpt work, man.

J25oay8.jpg

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,399 posts

Judge Dredd and ogryns and whiskers on kitten are some of my favourite things. It's a fantastic and beautifully executed mash-up that would work equally well in either universe. 

Do you have plans to fill the bullet holes/damage on the torso armour, or add some matching damage to the other hard armour?

I'm doing exactly what the customer asked me to, and thanks. :)

Dude, hes honestly so cool. Like everytime you post an update with him I just have a big dumb grin on my face.

Great work!

Nah, he's really cool. (Had to make some kind of reply to follow the thread)

Why not "Boss Hogg" instead of The Simpsons character as a namesake?

Looks fantastic. Amazing sculpt work, man.

Thanks, brothers, but it's up to Grotsmasha to decide on a name for him. Still waiting on final approval, but short any last minute details, he's done. 

JAptXGD.png

• Noserenda, DuskRaider, Apologist and 2 others like this

Apologist

Apologist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,758 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines: The Praetors of Calth

Fantastic finished piece – one of those great visions that sticks in the imagination and memory. A future classic!

• Brother Chaplain Kage likes this

+Death of a Rubricist+

My blog

The Alien Wars β€“ Blood Angels in the Nova Terra Interregnum | May You Live Forever – A narrative Iron Hands blog

Officio Monstrosa – Iron Warriors during the siege of Terra | The Praetors of Calth – Ultramarines from Crusade to Scouring

Lord_Ikka

Lord_Ikka

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 372 posts
  • Faction: I Legion- The Unforgiven First

Are you supplying him with weaponry or is the client?

Midnightmare

Midnightmare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,700 posts
Your greenstuff work never ceases to amaze! Brilliant work right there :tu:

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,211 posts

Are you supplying him with weaponry or is the client?

He's got bodyguard duty, he'll have club and shield
  • Lord_Ikka and Bryan Blaire like this

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,399 posts

I've been putting together some of my GSC Neophyte Hybrids with the ETL in mind, and since the box comes with 13 torsos and only 10 pairs of legs, I've been trying out some things to make use of those extra torsos. 

BCdvb1d.png

Two former chaos cultists and a weak minded Cadian shall soon be joining the ranks of the Brotherhood. I'm going to see about making some oyumaru press molds for knee pads to help blend them in to the neophyte aesthetic., 

• Bryan Blaire likes this

Pandoras Bitz Box

Pandoras Bitz Box

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 442 posts
Oh this is a great idea! I'm slowly starting my GSC (just the Aberrants so far) but I do have a load of spare cultists (I have 40 and I don't know if I can be bothered to do these other ones) so I think I might swell the ranks as much as I can with those. Thanks, looking forward to seeing your stuff.

Edited by Pandoras Bitz Box, 01 March 2019 - 11:02 AM.

Bolter and Chainsword Threads

CHAOS

TYRANIDS

www.Krakendoomcool.Wordpress.com

Twitter: @Pandorasbitzbox

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,399 posts

A little preview of something I started working on:

tmweIjB.png

The top gun is the original plastic one and the bottom two are oyumaru copies made from GS. The bottom one is the first one I did in a total brainfart moment, I didn't put any kind of support (like a piece of brass rod) in the center of the pistol and it's quite... floppy. The middle one is cast #2 with a brass rod in it. Maybe the first one will be holstered or something. 

• firestorm40k, Bryan Blaire, Subtle Discord and 1 other like this

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,399 posts

Sketching out the kelermorph pose and I decided to go with a similar pose to the official model, but mirrored and with more guns being trained on a target. 

Mirrored shot of the real thing:

R5iWk0x.png

And mine:

sf09ILu.png

Needs some more tweaking, but I like it so far. smile.png

• Grotsmasha, Bryan Blaire, Subtle Discord and 3 others like this

Sagentus

Sagentus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,429 posts

really liking the concept of this piece and we all know you are the person to pull it off ;) 

Brother Chaplain Kage

Brother Chaplain Kage

++ SACERDOS UMBRA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,399 posts

Wasn't sure if I liked him hunched over so I straightened him up and tried out a sample right arm (gun will be replaced later if it stays). 

RahWKcn.png

• Bryan Blaire, Subtle Discord, Sagentus and 1 other like this

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

Hungry Nostraman Lizard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 273 posts
  • Faction: Night Lords

I like the hunched pose, and two guns! 

J25oay8.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Conversions, Inquisitor, Horus Heresy, VIII Legion, Vostroyans, Astral Claws, XIV Legion, Dusk Raiders

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)