Go to solution Solved by Brother-Chaplain Kage,

That was the only gun I could find in all my stuff that looked appropriate for the GSC gunslinger. It works in another way as well, because the idea I have in my head for the GSC figures is that they come from a forge world and will have some bits thrown in to match that. 

Damn, I need to try my hand at press-mould casting again. It must just be a matter of practice because the few times I've tired it I can never get results even close to that good. Sometimes you just want one-or-two extra little bit/s to complete a build and there's no denying the results if you can get copies that are that faithful to the original. I've watched and read more than one tutorial on the process and it seems straightforward enough, but it seems like I'm missing some technique or process that would improve the final results. Again, I suspect it's just a simple matter of practice. Great work, as always.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The fan published Inq28 mag really got me interested in working on my own figures again and I've got a few things to show. 

My Arbites has gotten some re-working on the back of his coat (had to chop it up quite a bit to get the Cadian arms to fit) which I will show at a later point when it's finished curing, but here's a refresher pic I took before starting the new sculpting. 

ftfGRHc.png

A few pieces I'm not sure that I showed the last time I was working on these minis beginning with this female inquisitorial agent. 

LAN8Pf4.png

The green stuff is simply to cover up some extremely bad pitting on the metal, and there's more on the back side of the miniature that is also curing at the moment. 

An old classic that I had a real copy of once but was stolen and now is a... less official version. 

2Y04aGZ.png

And the death cult assassin/lady warrior/fallen sororitas figure I started a while back gets some more sculpting work, a smaller gun that I like the look of better than the old plasma, and some left arm options I'd like some opinions of. First is a blade. 

0W5db6h.png

Second is a polearm. 

McS2KyL.png

The head will look more human when I'm done, but I like the idea of it being a sororitas and wonder if I should do the traditional hair style. Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, brothers, and welcome back, Kurama. 

I've made a few decisions on the figure, including a background idea I got from a piece of lore I discovered recently which influenced sticking with the spear and adding a loincloth instead of the other idea I had for her. Here she is with the foundation layer for the loincloth done and since it will be covered with more GS there was no reason to make it all smooth and pretty. 

kDBG3Q4.png

The foundation for the back flap of the loincloth will be added next and the idea is to have it billowing out to the left a bit. 

Looks good! I would have voted for the blade, though - it makes her look more dynamic. The sword imo gives her more of a 'posing' look, like she's resting her bodyweight on her left foot, that's elevated somewhat on a rock or something. The knife makes it look like she's actively dodging and shooting at the attacker. 

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really see much difference in the movement of the figure between the spear and knife, but I appreciate the feedback, Augs. :smile.:

Since Bryan Blaire has all but finished his Tau kill team (which you should definitely check out here) and is now working on some scenery, I need to get my butt in gear for my plague marine kill team and I started on a test figure last night. Where BB is one of those guys who can paint the really clean, bright paint jobs that look fantastic and super easy to do (they're not) I've never really been able to pull that off, even back in my early days of 40k when I tried to. I tend toward a more realistic and desaturated palette that's a bit more messy - showing some age and use with weathering. I'd considered a number of paint schemes for my team but kept coming back to the Glooming Lords because 1) it looked cool, and 2) I don't want white or green plague marines. 

For those who may not know what I'm talking about, here's some art showing the paint scheme:

uPXIHK0.png

Looking around the web, I found a number of people doing this scheme for their figures but they were almost universally very bright and clean, and almost cartoonish with the green accent color. I also didn't want to do black as if they had been painted that way, but a very dark color not far from black that looked worn:

sgp7SKJ.png

Similar to my Crimson Sons, this was done over a zenithal prime that was heavy on the white with several layers of paint that was somewhere between a wash and a glaze. The metal trim and such will be weathered bronze to keep it in line with the blue/green palette. Not 100% on the green trim on the shoulders yet, but I kinda like it. There will be no rust on the armor because I'm of the opinion a ceramic alloy wouldn't oxidize. 

Having already talked about this elsewhere, I will say Thank You for the kind words, and these guys are gonna look AWESOME! :D

I also think the contrast between the almost cartoonish way my Tau are painted up and how your Glooming Lords are going to turn out will play out really well on the table-top.

Of course, now I have to build and paint the other like 8 Kill Teams I have, because your DG are going to be tough in game.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend and I are splitting a Necromunda starter and a couple days ago I was gifted a House Orlock gang box; to help with the motivation get some work done I jumped in on the Turf War event and here's my first WIP model.

SyvuPSc.png

I'm planning to do a few small changes that will require a little GS work, but nothing major. 

That Nurgle Marine is looking good so far. The only thing the green is currently lacking right now is some depth as it currently looks a bit odd to have a flat colour next to a turquoise blue that fades into black.

Anyway, looks promising and I look forward to seeing more. :tu:

Edit: Damned typo.

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka

Yeah, the green was just a trial to see how the shade looked and it will get more work. 

Here's an updated shot of the Orlock ganger all greenstuffed and glued. 

HRPnzAA.png

I was disappointed to find I couldn't turn his head as far as I had originally done in the mock up because the odd 'neck' on the head looked terrible and would have taken a lot of fiddly work to fix that I didn't feel like doing. The idea for the pose I had in my head is that his autogun is empty and he's running for cover to reload and laying down some fire with the stub on the way. 

The Necromunda box I'm splitting with a friend arrived Sunday and I spent that night cutting all the pieces off the sprues and putting them in an organizer while my imagination started chewing on some ideas, but this heavy gunner from the original art is one that I knew I was going to do. 

7obCM8i.png

I have an extra stubber from a chaos cultist and I've started working on the first few steps of the conversion by making her taller, removing the gear from her thigh, and giving her a more muscular physique. Here's a comparison pic with the same body untouched. 

WFfpg0w.png

Good lord, that Escher ganger is going to be a muscle goddess. I approve, 100 percent :wub:

I figure she'll have to be if she's going to be carrying a heavy stubber like that. The Orlock heavy stubber bits have servo assist on the arms! Considering the wildly varying sizes of the same kind of gun and shells seen across the whole model line, it's difficult to give a real world comparison of its bullet size. If we go with the M2 Browning .50 machine gun, it weighs 80 pounds without ammo. The smaller M1919 Browning in .30 weighs a little over 30 pounds, but that's still a lot for someone to carry even with a sling and not even factoring in the recoil and how difficult (or outright impossible) it would be to control. So yeah, she's gonna need some muscles. 

Started on what will be my Bobby homage character. For those not familiar with Sons of Anarchy, he was a fan favorite character that was something of a moral compass for the club - as much as one could be in a gang of gun runners and murderers. 

8NDt1DL.png?1

And he was not in the best of shape. 

o8xLbcc.png?1

To make some extra space for the belly, I split the chest vertically and widened it, and then did some preliminary GS work and here he is posing with twin autopistols. 

c5mrdan.png?1

I intentionally made the belly on the large side because it's easier to scrape and sand it down if it's too big then trying to seamlessly blend more GS on top of existing GS. Lots of beard and hair work will follow, as well as rebuilding some of his jacket.