Go to solution Solved by Brother-Chaplain Kage,

After several attempts and failures at sculpting hair on Jain Zar I decided to try a hybrid and I thought the GS work looked good until I saw her magnified in the pics. 

vPCrPt9.png

Gonna need some more work on bridging the gap between the plastic and GS hair. 

Fantastic work in making the shapes simultaneously new and recognisable. He really reads as an 'ur-Scorpion'.

A very real concern with my Phoenix Lord project is making them different but still recognizable with the 40k aesthetic and as the characters themselves and this makes me feel like I'm maintaining that balance. :smile.:

Absolutely stunning work! I am in complete awe of your skills with gs

Thanks!

Meanwhile, upper legs done on Karandras and happy with them. 

Hd9zEr5.png

Not happy with the one lower leg which now looks too large after a few days of looking at it so I'll be doing that over. 

I may have mentioned it before in the thread somewhere, but it's always been plainly obvious to me that the Striking Scorpions are heavily inspired by the Predator and I've been keeping some of the design cues from them in the back of my head while working on the armor plates and such. 

z8EmVrL.png

• 2 weeks later...

Just a few more things left to do. 

hVCwH1q.png

I'm keeping the smooth helmet after trying 3 or 4 different ideas, including trying to make it similar to the old Incubi helmets for that sort of connection to the "fallen Scorpion Phoenix Lord" thing that may or may not exist. 

Didn't you say the back muscles looked terrible?

Anyway, Karandras at 95% complete now. Just a few spots to clean up on the back, get a hilt on the sword, and armor up the right hand. 

UwAr0rP.png

Haha, no, that was you yourself being overtly critical. I actually always liked those huge muscles, as their size is realistic. You'll work over it for texture anyway, so I am not worried about that. We need the croc-thirster!

Karandras looks great too, but I think he would benefit from more detail - his helmet doesn't read 'ancient' to me as it does now, plus where is his soulstone? Or is that the 5%? :)

I pulled out all the crocthirster parts a few days ago and I won't be redoing the muscles on its back because I'd have to remove one of the wings because there's not enough working space between them and I don't want to do that. I'll try to start working on him some more.